Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

After what happened Friday to the firefighters someone in the City or the DFD should be notified about this hazard. Another tragedy may be averted if they knew about the bricks bowing off the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread remind me of that commercial where everyone just looks at the trash on the ground and talks about it. Then a guy walks by, notices the trash and picks it up. Same thing here... People are saying someone should contact the city... We instead of saying someone should do something, just do it!... I am not trying to be mean or nasty toward anyone because everyone is guilty of it in some way, shape or form. I guess its human nature to do this... I know I have :-)
    It is a scientific fact that the more people there are in the crowd the less each individual feels responsible to act.

The building has been for sale for some time. The problem is that Curtis, last I checked, wanted more than $2 million for it. Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    The building has been for sale for some time. The problem is that Curtis, last I checked, wanted more than $2 million for it. Not gonna happen.

Indeed that won't happen but we can wish can't we? That is a great view from the top of that building. What was it originally used for? Could it be converted into a loft space or hotel? I wonder how bad the damage really is. Maybe it is just weak mortar and whoever scores this property can fix it. At least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    What was it originally used for? Could it be converted into a loft space or hotel? I wonder how bad the damage really is.
    History, photos and more:
    www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/wurl

Thank you for being ever so helpful.

The last line there is a bit daunting. "Sadly, the Wurlitzer has been added to the city's hit list of buildings to demolish, and its foundation appears to be failing."

There is so much beautiful architecture in Detroit that is just being left to rot. I wish that more could be done for these types of buildings. Are there any active preservation organizations currently?

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    Thank you for being ever so helpful.

The last line there is a bit daunting. "Sadly, the Wurlitzer has been added to the city's hit list of buildings to demolish, and its foundation appears to be failing."

There is so much beautiful architecture in Detroit that is just being left to rot. I wish that more could be done for these types of buildings. Are there any active preservation organizations currently?
    http://www.preservationwayne.org/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Perfect! I will consider registering for one of their tours when I visit Detroit in person. It seems like most of the posters here on Detroit Yes can answer any question I have. I am most impressed.

Here's a shot from Sunday from the Broderick Tower showing just how far the brick is peeling away. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6889935_n.jpg

It is not a question of if that wall will collapse but when.

Wow, that's definitely not going to end well.

This is the line that gets me:
    Curtis owed more than $43,000 in delinquent taxes on the structure as of 2002
    That's on what, a spectacularly excessive single family home? No? What, pray tell, then?

A SKYSCRAPER?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by claireianthelibrarian View Post
    Bowing like that doesn't mean the building has to go, necessarily. The top few feet, if not the entire top floor, would need to be taken down and relaid by a mason and his/her crew. And safety fencing should probably be put up. But it's not necessarily a death knell to the building. This high up, it would be some pretty damn serious and pricey work, but still.

Mortar wasn't always as cementy and gluey as it is now. A lot of the way that older masonry holds together is its weight, from the top down. There is no extra weight of other stories of bricks on those top rows to keep them in place. That's why the tops of these buildings sometimes bow or crumble off, when the rest of the building's outer structure isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I haven't been in here so I'm no expert, but.... My two cents, from what I can tell through those photos.
    Since this brick is not load bearing, could we form some sort of "Building Patrol" and fire projectiles at it to bring about a controlled collapse of these dangerous loose bricks? Those fire escapes are mounted into the concrete load bearing pillars behind the brick facade and shouldn't be affected unless too much weight from falling brick is added to them. Maybe some sort of hard plastic cover on top to deflect them down to the street below? Seems alot cheaper to knock the failed bricks off the side of the building then pony up for the complete demolition.

Funny that someone mentioned "Ilitch"....

Back when the United Artists Building closed in the early 1970s... AAA Michigan sold all the theatre fixtures and furniture... and moved to Dearborn.

Then in the 1980s on the Clifford Ave. side of the UA Building... a hail of masonry bricks fell off of the UA Building and landed on some very unfortunate crushed cars [[no injuries fortunately)... and Clifford Ave. was closed for one block for many years, until that facade was stabalized [[removing more bricks).

Then came the Grossman and Barden years at the UA... and finally the many years of Ilitch ownership... "benign neglectors" all....

And now Ilitch is renovating the UA Building... starting with the inside.... and one day they'll get to the outside... likely when a new Arena location is announced.

So for all complaining we do about "Ilitch" [[much of it deserved)... when it comes to buildings with masonry falling down.... it doesn't necessarily mean the demise of a building...

So I'm not going to be quite so pessimistic about the Wurlitzer... but it's time for the owner to get off his ass, and sell the damn building... and not for a ridiculous $2 million.

could we form some sort of "Building Patrol" and fire projectiles at it to bring about a controlled collapse of these dangerous loose bricks?
    You mean like Ski Patrols firing Howitzers at overhanging snowbanks?

You have to admit, the exterior lighting scheme is pretty good on this. It may seem far fetched, but it would be great if Quicken's move of several hundred employees into the nearby Madison Bldg. could spur some facade stabilization to the Wurlitzer. It seems to be in a prime spot for redevelopment....it just needs someone to stick their neck out to make it happen.

Attachment 7844

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    You have to admit, the exterior lighting scheme is pretty good on this. It may seem far fetched, but it would be great if Quicken's move of several hundred employees into the nearby Madison Bldg. could spur some facade stabilization to the Wurlitzer. It seems to be in a prime spot for redevelopment....it just needs someone to stick their neck out to make it happen.

Attachment 7844
    Wow, I love this facade.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmc View Post
    Wow, I love this facade.
    I do too... just think how the MCS would look if it were lit up at night like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I do too... just think how the MCS would look if it were lit up at night like that...

Ugh I wish I wish I wish! Jennifer from DIBC said they ordered lights and said lights were supposed to be installed in October!$@$@$!#$@$

RSA posted a warning about this a few years back when the Wurlitzer building was being discussed, he had examined the building. He is an architect, and knows what he is talking about.

On my way to the gym this evening, I noticed construction dudes building a scaffold walkway in front of the Wurlitzer. I figured this is probably in response to the herds of people downtown is expecting for the parade.

I then saw that the frv
    ont door was open and it looked like they may be working inside, too?

I can understand the scaff tunnel for pedestrian protection from falling history [[a la the Broderick tunnel and the Metropolitan tunnel), but why would they need to be inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    On my way to the gym this evening, I noticed construction dudes building a scaffold walkway in front of the Wurlitzer. I figured this is probably in response to the herds of people downtown is expecting for the parade.

I then saw that the frv
    ont door was open and it looked like they may be working inside, too?

I can understand the scaff tunnel for pedestrian protection from falling history [[a la the Broderick tunnel and the Metropolitan tunnel), but why would they need to be inside?
    Don't forget the Vinton tunnel... bricks are falling off that one too.

To answer your question, I have no idea why they would need to be in there other than to do a feasibility study on it like they did on the Met.

So many scaffold tunnels, can't keep up with them all.

On the way to dinner at Small Plates Wednesday night also saw the scaffolding tunnel being erected...the front door was open and the workers were in and out. On another note, the old fire station on Michigan near Wesson had a small truck parked outside and it appeared they were pumping out the basement. This was this past Monday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    On the way to dinner at Small Plates Wednesday night also saw the scaffolding tunnel being erected...the front door was open and the workers were in and out. On another note, the old fire station on Michigan near Wesson had a small truck parked outside and it appeared they were pumping out the basement. This was this past Monday afternoon.
    Well considering how cold its going to get pretty soon, I'd say pumping out water is the best idea

woodwardboy Guest

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast