Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Couldn't find another post with Wurlitzer info more recent than this... let me know if I'm mis-placed...

A quick update esepcially for those not downtown is that the fire escape in the rear [[and the aforementioned front overhang) has been removed [[that was a week or two ago).

In the mean time, the last few days have seen two 40-yard dumpsters in the vacant corner lot filled with what looks like structural trash from inside the building [[wood framing, celing tiles, etc). The front doors have been open with activity ongoing most days, didn't have a chance to talk to anyone about what they might be up to. Finally, yesterday they had what sounded like a water pump and/or generator running in the back of the building with blue fire-hose type hose running out the back door and down the street into the gutter in front of the Metro building. No water was coming out when I walked around, but I'm assuming they're pumping water out of the basement.

Doesn't seem like they're 'prepping' the building for anyhting, but activity is certainly better than nothing.

When walking on Downtown Detroit, watch for falling rocks!

Wayne County Circuit Judge Daphne Mean Curtis and her husband Paul are trash. Vote her out of office and seize their building.

Photo from today
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hope the complaining from 1515 Broadway doesn't get the Wurlitzer torn down!

"Complaining"??? They've had blocks crash through their ceiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    "Complaining"??? They've had blocks crash through their ceiling!
    Absolutely - I'd raise up holy hell if bricks were falling on my property, no matter how much I'd like the Wurlitzer to be restored.

They have a chained 8' chain link fence across the alley at the end. There's a good pile of bricks across the alley below where the gap is [[see picture above). As I was circling around the block, i noticed that the Metropolitan Bldg has that netting [[already knew that) but it covers what look like huge gaps in the face brick - more than has come off [[or will come off soon) the Wuritz. At least that's what I'd like to think so that they won't tear it down. They ought to use some netting up there.

Final side note - I wonder how much removing the fire stairs may have agitated the bricks. At least the 30 minutes i watched when they were taking them down, they were [[understandably) less than gentle when trying to basically knock the stairs off in a controlled fall.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    ... I hope the falling bricks from the Wurlitzer doesn't get someone killed!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    You might want to elaborate on, and/or correct, that statement. I assume it was a misprint.

Only in Detroit where a sitting judge can judge others but her and her lawyer husband are allow to break the law. The weak mayor and council should stop dicking around and put extreme pressure to have that building torn down

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Only in Detroit where a sitting judge can judge others but her and her lawyer husband are allow to break the law. The weak mayor and council should stop dicking around and put extreme pressure to have that building torn down
    They should put extreme pressure on someone to repair and develop it. The iron structure is probably just fine. Why does everything have to be torn down? Broadway needs all of those buildings to remain standing.

Strongly agree BrushStart.

Not to mention, the archaic thought process in the way things are handled around here need to change if Detroit ever wants to be a world class and progressive city. Any moran can tear things down. What will it take for people to work on a solution that benefits the community?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    They should put extreme pressure on someone to repair and develop it. The iron structure is probably just fine. Why does everything have to be torn down? Broadway needs all of those buildings to remain standing.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    How do you blame the blame the city for this ? How are the mayor and city council "dicking around" on this issue?

Wayne County Circuit Judge Robert Colombo ordered the company that owns the "dangerous" Wurlitzer Building on Broadway to fix the problems within 90 days or face contempt of court charges, chastising one of the owners for a "total lack of responsibility."
    "He has basically ignored these violations," Colombo said. A city building inspector has cited Paul Curtis, the managing member of 1509 Broadway LLC, three times since October 2008 with emergency violations on the Wurlitzer, including crumbling bricks on the facade and a dangling fire escape....

But Curtis, who is an attorney,....

Curtis is married to Wayne County Circuit Judge Daphne Means Curtis, who records indicate has had an interest in the building.

In 2004, the Freep reported that the Wurlitzer had been visited by building inspectors who issued tickets for violations such as tiles falling off the fa�ade and a defective fire escape."In the same article, the paper quoted a letter from Curtis to the city describing "conceptualizations" for renovation and letting it be known "that this owner has not just sat back and watched the property but has been active in seeking a total rehabilitation of the property."Since then, the building has continued to deteriorate, with the problem of falling debris growing from tile and bricks to a piece of cornice heavy enough to smash ceiling beams. As for that fire escape, located at the rear of the building, it is still there, apparently more dangerous than ever.Standing in the alley behind his building, where cigarette breaks are taken with a wary eye cast upward, Jaszczak points to the twisted steel steps hanging precariously, and to a spot on one of the Wurlitzer's top floors where the brick facade is separating from the building's structure.The city erected a chain-link fence blocking off the front of the building, but in the rear there is not protection if the brick facade and fire escape were to fall away.On April 6, five days before Jaszczak's rafters got crushed,the city filed a complaint against 1509 Broadway, LLC in Wayne County Circuit Court. In the complaint, it is noted that numerous inspections of the building had found multiple violations, and that orders to correct them were issued."The defendant has failed to comply with and otherwise completely ignored these corrective orders, and accordingly has been issued well over 100 blight violations."
    http://metrotimes.com/news/falling-down-1.1141406

The city has cited the Wurlitzer owners 3 times with emergency violations in the last 3 years, in addition to more than 100 other city violations over more than a decade.

The city is obviously not the problem here. The problem is the district court system failing to enforce the law against one of their own judges, and screwing the city in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Strongly agree BrushStart.

Not to mention, the archaic thought process in the way things are handled around here need to change if Detroit ever wants to be a world class and progressive city. Any moran can tear things down. What will it take for people to work on a solution that benefits the community?
    Agreed.... lets not jump on the rip-it-down bandwagon too quickly.... just remember the Clifford Ave. side of the United Artists Building.... yeah they closed the street for a few years due to the sudden brick rainstorm on a group of parked cars... but there's measures than can be done to stabilize the situation without the worst case scenario.

Unbelievable.

I meant what I said, though my comment wasn't meant to suggest that 1515 Broadway isn't entitled to redress for the threats on his health and safety. My concern is that the city will get tired of dealing with the landlord and jump to tearing the building down, when other remedies might be equally effective at addressing the problem. Anyone who knows Detroit has known a fair number of demolitions, some deservedly so and other not. I guess my battle cry is Remember the Madison [[Lenox)!

Thought/question: If the city has the ability to tear down a building that is a problem and take the property/bill the owner, can they use similar powers to put up emergency stabilization measures and bill the owner? I'm guessing that would be an issue for the courts, ultimately, and/or a thought for the DEGC to consider before finding money to clear it. As with the Metro next door, the bricks aren't a structural issue, but they are a safety issue. Make them fix it now!!

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    How do you blame the blame the city for this ? How are the mayor and city council "dicking around" on this issue?

http://metrotimes.com/news/falling-down-1.1141406

The city has cited the Wurlitzer owners 3 times with emergency violations in the last 3 years, in addition to more than 100 other city violations over more than a decade.

The city is obviously not the problem here. The problem is the district court system failing to enforce the law against one of their own judges, and screwing the city in the process.

[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
    The city could go after the judge and her husband with the same aggresiveness that it went after Matty Mouron for the train station. Writing citation for the last two years is nothing but posteuring. Council or someone should continually call them to a meeting or have them arreasted. That is why I blame the city for this. This would not happen in citys such as Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, Dearborn Heights, etc. Only in Detroit

Never ending problems at the Wurlitzer continue Can you imagine if the building had owners that had legitimate plans to do something with the building?

http://www.freep.com/article/20111129/NEWS01/111290353/Section-Wurlitzer-building-falls

^ Can you imagine if buildings just as old never got redeveloped or demolished?

Saw on Historicdetroit.org Facebook - this situation seems to be under control - they got a tour and took photos from the 13th floor where the hole is, the General contractor took him on a tour, said that funding was in place. They were working then, and said the thing should be stabilized completely by January. Renovations moving forward.

So great to hear, I thought this one was a gonner.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4