Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cities that have "er" at the end. Detroiter...

That Michigander thread got me thinking..What other cities call their residents by adding an "er" after the city name? I could only think of a New Yorker. Maybe Clevelanders?

Portlander [[?), Oaklander [[?), Austiner [[?), Louisviller [[?), Springfielder [[?)

I think the citizens of towns that end in "field" or "land" generally add an "er" to the end of the city name to describe themselves.

On a side note, is a person from Washington D.C. a "Washingtonian" or a "Columbian"?

I think Austin residents refer to themselves as Austinites, or they did when I was living down there for a while.

I'm wondering about the suburbs now... Is my mom a Madison Heightsian? My sister a Uticaite?

Utican? Heightser?

words that end with 'er' can indicated citizenship and workmenship in his or her native land, city and place. It's a suffix. that derives more to Germanic/Slavic languages.

They're just suburbanites and not worthy of being specified. Otherwise my sister and brother-in-law are Trojans - and old ones at that.
    Last edited by Brock7; August-14-10 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    They're just suburbanites and not worthy of being specified. Otherwise my sister and brother-in-law are Trojans - and old ones at that.
    Used, so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Despite the seemingly endless evidence to the contrary, I am convinced there is some form of decent human life out there, somewhere...

People who live in Troy, MI. are called Trojans.

People who live in Lincoln Park are called Lincoln Parkers.

People who live in Southfield are called Southfielders.

People who in live in Dearborn maybe be called Dearbornites.

People who live in Allen Park are called Allen Parkers.

People who live in Livonia are called Livonians.

People who live in Wynadotte are probably called Wynadotters.

People who live in Southgate are probably called Southgaters.

People who live in Birmingham are probably called Birminghamites.

People who live in Wayne are called Wayners.

People who live in Inkster are called Inktowners. [[ You might have to use the nickname to expand the denomyms)

People who live in Highland Park are called Highland Parkers.

People who live in Plymouth, MI. are called Plymouthites.

People who live in Warren are probably called Warrenites.

People who live in Eastpointe are called Eastpointers.

"Clevelander" is accepted nomenclature, as is "Washingtonian".

Likewise, there is such a thing as a "Marylander".

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    "Clevelander" is accepted nomenclature, as is "Washingtonian".

Likewise, there is such a thing as a "Marylander".
    I don't think Maryland is a city

Montrealer in english and Montréalais in french. Montréalaise for female residents.

Amsterdammer, Rotterdammer, any dammer. Almost any city in the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    words that end with 'er' can indicated citizenship and workmenship in his or her native land, city and place. It's a suffix. that derives more to Germanic/Slavic languages.
    The choice of ending, whether "-ian", "-an", "-er", etc, while maintaining the same morphological basis, is chosen by people based on phonetic environment and prosody. I demonstrated this using statistical analysis in a linguistics paper I wrote. I would attach it here, but people here don't read articles and I'm getting bored just mentioning it.

Perhaps why both "Michigander" and "Michiganian" don't seem to fit the bill exactly, when neither incorporates the linked sound in "MichiGUN."
    Last edited by East Detroit; August-14-10 at 10:16 PM.

Highland Park residents often refer to themselves simply as Parkers. Maybe it's a one name thing like Madonna or Prince since they are the original park town.

-er is a common Germanic place-name-origin ending. It does not occur in Slavic languages. Common Slavic place-name-origin-endings are "-ik/-yk," "-in, "-ak," "-yets," or "-ats,"

Royal Oakers

However people who are from Massachusetts are Bay Staters.

Ok, come up with ones for these Nevada towns.

Pahrump
    Tonopah
    Ely
    Elko
    Paradise
    Carson City
    or my own Henderson

I guess we're just Nevadans.

I once dated a woman from Las Vegas who was fond of recounting how locals referred to Pahrump as "Elephant Fart, Nevada."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I once dated a woman from Las Vegas who was fond of recounting how locals referred to Pahrump as "Elephant Fart, Nevada."
    So is a "pahrumpian" really an Elephant Farter? [[Actually, it's redneck territory. Everyone there drives a '89 GMC pickup with a gun rack in the back window.)

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    Austiner [[?)
    I have never heard anyone from Austin refer to themselves as anything other than a Texan. Everything is just bigger and better in Texas it seems. I am from San Angelo TX so what would that make me? I have always called myself a Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by papillonaquatique View Post
    I have never heard anyone from Austin refer to themselves as anything other than a Texan. Everything is just bigger and better in Texas it seems. I am from San Angelo TX so what would that make me? I have always called myself a Texan.
    Keep Austin Weird