Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default President Obama stands up for Ground Zero mosque

Article link below... Thoughts? Comments?

Quotes from full article link:

"Obama spoke before a group of about 90 attendees, which included Muslim community leaders, ambassadors, dignitaries, and Rep. Andre Carson [[D-Ind.), one of two Muslim members of Congress. After his statement, a number of individuals reportedly rushed to the stage to shake Obama’s hands following his unexpectedly direct endorsement of the mosque."http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41060.html

Summary as posted here: [[http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=6E06E7C3-18FE-70B2-A8588EB02B9835FA):

Obama stands up for Ground Zero mosque
    By: Abby Phillip and Maggie Haberman
    August 13, 2010 08:37 PM EDT

President Barack Obama on Friday endorsed a controversial plan to build a mosque and Islamic center just blocks from Ground Zero in Manhattan, despite the strong objections of conservatives, the ADL and those who lost loved ones in the September 11 attacks.“Ground Zero is, indeed, hallowed ground,” Obama said at a White House dinner celebrating the Muslim holiday of Ramadan. “But let me be clear: as a citizen, and as President, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances.”Having steered clear of the controversy for weeks, Obama took on opposition to the mosque directly — a move that many other Democratic lawmakers had been hesitant to do in the face of highly emotional appeals against its construction.

But polls indicate the issue could be a high-voltage third rail for politicians who support the project: a recent CNN poll found that 68 percent of those surveyed did not approve of building a mosque so close to where the World Trade Center towers fell, killing more than 2,000 people.

As perhaps the White House had anticipated, the reaction from conservatives and at least one 9/11 rescue worker was swift and angry. Most echoed Rick Lazio, the GOP gubernatorial hopeful who helped draw national attention back to the Ground Zero-area mosque by using it against his Democratic rival, Andrew Cuomo,

"President Obama and Attorney General Cuomo still are not listening to New Yorkers," Lazio said in a statement, suggesting that the backers of the project have obscured their true motives and funding.

There has been "a deliberate attempt to avoid transparency and a deliberate attempt to build the Mosque at this location," Lazio said. "Why?"

In recent weeks, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs had deflected questions on the issue, insisting it is “a matter for New York City and the local community to decide.” But Obama had been criticized for being slow to weigh in on the controversy, especially in light of his past statements in support of religious freedom and tolerance for Muslims in the United States.In his speech Friday, Obama called for sensitivity with respect to developing in lower Manhattan, but cautioned against drawing comparisons between mainstream Islam and the ruthlessly violent ideology of al Queda, which he said is a “gross distortion” of the faith.“Our capacity to show not merely tolerance, but respect to those who are different from us – a way of life that stands in stark contrast to the nihilism of those who attacked us on that September morning, and who continue to plot against us today,” he said.

Obama spoke before a group of about 90 attendees, which included Muslim community leaders, ambassadors, dignitaries, and Rep. Andre Carson [[D-Ind.), one of two Muslim members of Congress. After his statement, a number of individuals reportedly rushed to the stage to shake Obama’s hands following his unexpectedly direct endorsement of the mosque.

Earlier this week, in a statement recognizing the onset of the Muslim holy month, Obama said that the rituals of Ramadan “remind us of the principles that we hold in common, and Islam’s role in advancing justice, progress, tolerance, and the dignity of all human beings.”

The event is this White House’s second recognition of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, with a traditional iftar dinner—a communal event that traditionally marks the breaking of the fast at sundown.

The project, spearheaded by the Cordoba Institute, an organization that works to improve the relationship between Muslims and the West, proposes that a 152-year old building be demolished two blocks away from Ground Zero to make way for the new Muslim community center and mosque.

Opponents have argued that, if constructed, the mosque would be a painful insult to survivors, rescue workers and families of those who died on 9/11. Proponents counter that the presence of a mosque so close to the center of the attacks would be a powerful signal of American religious tolerance – a counterweight to the terrorist attack. At the same time, they argue, blocking its construction violates the Constitutional right to freedom of religion.

A number of prominent conservatives, including GOP presidential hopefuls Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich, and moderate Sen. Joe Lieberman [[I-Conn.), decried plans for the mosque.

“There should be no mosque near Ground Zero in New York so long as there are no churches or synagogues in Saudi Arabia,” Gingrich wrote on his website. “The time for double standards that allow Islamists to behave aggressively toward us while they demand our weakness and submission is over.”

Earlier this mornth, the ADL came out against the mosque. This week, prominent conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer even compared the proposed mosque to construction of German heritage center at the Auschwitz concentration camp.

By contrast, Michael Bloomberg, New York's mayor, hailed Obama's endorsement.

The mayor called the project "as important a test of the separation of church and state as we may see in our lifetime, and I applaud President Obama’s clarion defense of the freedom of religion tonight.”

Still, some Democratic law makers from New York have been reluctant to address the issue.

A spokesman for Sen. Chuck Schumer has said only that the New York senator is “not opposed” to the controversial proposal.

Rep. Anthony Weiner – who is said to have mayoral ambitions and who gained notoriety last month for railing against Republican opposition to a bill supporting medical funds for 9/11 first responders – has declined to talk specifically about the mosque.

Already, New York’s conservative politicians are doubling down on their opposition to the proposal. POLITICO reports that the New York State Conservative Party will launch state-wide ads asking Con Edison, the utility company that owns part of the land, to halt the project.

Rather than tackle the issue head-on, most on the left have preferred to deal with a more concrete issue: whether the government can lawfully stop the project.

“I feel strongly that the constitutional protection of freedom of religion from the overreach of government means that elected officials should endeavor to stay out of the business of deciding where houses of worship may or may not be,” Weiner said in a letter to Bloomberg that praised the mayor's defense of religious freedom in a speech about the project last week.

But Rep. Peter King [[R-N.Y.) said Obama is “wrong” to endorse an “insensitive and uncaring” project.

“While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much,” he said in a statement Friday. “The right and moral thing for President Obama to have done was to urge Muslim leaders to respect the families of those who died and move their mosque away from Ground Zero. Unfortunately the President caved into political correctness."

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the religious leader for the mosque and head of the Cordoba Institute, has been sent by the Bush and Obama administrations to parts of the Muslim world to speak about religious tolerance in the United States.

The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission voted unanimously to allow the project to move forward. But that vote is likely to only spark further litigation on the issue.

A group affiliated with conservative religious leader Pat Robertson, American Center for Law and Justice, said that it would challenge the vote by the Landmarks Commission in court.

Tim Brown, a New York City firefighter and the plaintiff in a suit filed recently aimed at stopping the mosque based on the argument that the city failed to follow its own landmark policies, said, "I really think he was not speaking to us, I think he was speaking to the Muslim world."

"It's hurtful," he said. "Our own president, the president of the United States, has abanddoned the families who gave too much already. It's insensitive what he did, it's hurtful what he did, and he couches it in religious freedom except [[the Imam building the mosque)" doesn't feel that way."

He added, "I think he's also trying to do damage control he's triyng to turn the polls back a bit."
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-14-10 at 08:05 AM.

In a post 9/11 America, people from all race and religions have to be care of building places that could be offensive or distrupting to sacred places. The World Trade Center Block has been considered an American sacred place to honor not only our progress for ecomonic stability but also for the loss of over 4,000 people who couldn't get out of the World Trade Center Buildings. I see nothing wrong of building a sacred mosque in the World Trade Center Block. Now what would happen if Christians decided to build a church or Jews building a synagogue near the WTC Block? Should we shun them out of the area just we we shun the Muslims our Downtown New York City TWC Block? I don't think so. This is America " a free country" people of all races and religion have the constitutional right to build a place in free property as long as it offend anyone esle's sacred property. There is no offense of building a mosque near or at the WTC block.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because nothing's sacred anymore to most American Families. You all know your first and last names, but most of you all don't know how to honor those names or what it means.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; August-14-10 at 12:29 PM.

Indeed opinions vary on the topic.... centering a great deal on rather is it as issue of political conquest or a cause religious freedom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In a post 9/11 America, people from all race and religions have to be care of building places that could be offensive or distrupting to sacred places. The World Trade Center Block has been considered an American sacred place to honor not only our progress for ecomonic stability but also for the loss of over 4,000 people who couldn't get out of the World Trade Center Buildings. I see nothing wrong of building a sacred mosque in the World Trade Center Block. Now what would happen if Christians decided to build a church or Jews building a synagogue near the WTC Block? Should we shun them out of the area just we we shun the Muslims our Downtown New York City TWC Block? I don't think so. This is America " a free country" people of all races and religion have the constitutional right to build a place in free property as long as it offend anyone esle's sacred property. There is no offense of building a mosque near or at the WTC block.

WORD FROM THE STREET

Because nothing's sacred anymore to most American Families. You all know your first and last names, but most of you all don't know how to honor those names or what it means.

Neda, I miss you so.

The "limited government" "Christian" zealots are showing their true colors once again, in that they support neither limited government, nor the tolerance and respect taught in Christianity.

Well, I want to build a strip club at Metro Parkway and Garfield Road in Clinton Township.

Guess what? That isn't going to happen. After this, I can now say without feeling bad, that Barak Obama is a mother fucking asshole. This isn't about being American and letting people build a place of worship. By allowing this he is giving a big middle finger to everyone that died in those towers, and everyone that helped and died trying to rescue people.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The "limited government" "Christian" zealots are showing their true colors once again, in that they support neither limited government, nor the tolerance and respect taught in Christianity.
    Respect taught in Christianity? This has nothing to do with Christianity. It has to do with respect to the died and their families and this country that no one seems to care about anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Well, I want to build a strip club at Metro Parkway and Garfield Road in Clinton Township.

Guess what? That isn't going to happen.
    Then go to your local zoning board and file for an exemption. Don't bother the President of the United States. It's not his jurisdiction.

After this, I can now say without feeling bad, that Barak Obama is a mother fucking asshole. This isn't about being American and letting people build a place of worship. By allowing this he is giving a big middle finger to everyone that died in those towers, and everyone that helped and died trying to rescue people.
    Um, you do know that it was al Qaeda--a terrorist organization--and not this particular Muslim congregation, that murdered the folks in the World Trade Center?

What's next? Banning Germans from Brooklyn?

I'm sorry that you were so enraged that the attacks of September 11, 2001 pre-empted your normal television watching that day, jerrytimes. I'm sure it was horrific to live through it all from the safety of your living room a thousand miles away. That doesn't give you license to revisit the Crusades, though.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; August-14-10 at 01:03 PM.

New York isn't his jurisdiction either.

Al Qaeda is a group of terrorists and they are Muslim and read the Quran [[or however you spell it). That's enough for me. Let them build it in New York, that's fine by me, but not at ground zero. That's a slap in Americas face.

Just like the some of the country I think that you have forgotten what happened on 9/11.

Al Qaeda is a group of terrorists and they are Muslim and read the Quran [[or however you spell it). That's enough for me. Let them build it in New York, that's fine by me, but not at ground zero. That's a slap in Americas face.

Just like the some of the country I think that you have forgotten what happened on 9/11.
    Yeah, how quickly I forget the smell of burning buildings and bodies wafting through the window of my apartment. My bad.

Do you likewise condemn all so-called Christians when the most radical of them commit acts of terrorism, such as bombing abortion clinics?

Maybe you should take a cold shower, and dry yourself off with your giant American flag.

Buy American Guest

Let's put it this way folks.....some people want the word "God" gone from the Pledge of Allegiance, off of our money because it "offends" a minority of people. You can't place a nativity scene on government property [[and sometimes private property) because it "offends" a minority of people. They took the 10 Commandment out of a courthouse because it "offends" a minority of people. You can't say certain words because if "offends" some people.
    This mosque offends me and I feel it's a slap in the face of all those who died in the towers, the planes and on the ground. I would ask "why?" do they want to build right there? Why, when they know it offends so many people throughout the United States, would they want to impose this building on us? Every time they bow to Allah they will be celebrating their victory. There are circumstances that should be considered in this case....most of all the loved ones of all those people who died that day and Obama needs to re-think his stance on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    You can't place a nativity scene on government property [[and sometimes private property) because it "offends" a minority of people. They took the 10 Commandment out of a courthouse because it "offends" a minority of people.
    No, those things can't be done because courts have ruled that they violate the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. Go to church and you can put your nativity scenes and Ten Commandments wherever you wish.

Do you know what's offensive? Passing judgment on an entire group of your fellow Americans because of 19 individuals half-a-world away that practiced a radicalized version of the same faith. You think you're pissed? How do you think these Muslims in New York feel when they hear people like you spewing your hateful bullshit?

Do you know what else is offensive? When some self-righteous prick decides to intervene on behalf of the New York City Department of City Planning.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; August-14-10 at 01:18 PM.

There isn't a mass group of Christians that bomb abortion clinics. There are a select few that are insane and do moronic things like that. Although I don't agree with abortion, I would never back those nut jobs. I also don't think your comparison works very well. Christian nut job bombs a clinic, kills a few, Muslim nut job drops four planes, levels two buildings and hits the pentagon killing thousand and attacking our country. The comparison doesn't quite add up sir.

I'll pass on the flag as a towel thank you. I actually respect the USA. A shower would be nice though since I just cut the grass a half hour ago. BTW, just because you live in NYC [[just a guess by what you posted) that doesn't mean that your opinion is right. Maybe you need to smell that again to be reminded of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Let's put it this way folks.....some people want the word "God" gone from the Pledge of Allegiance, off of our money because it "offends" a minority of people. You can't place a nativity scene on government property [[and sometimes private property) because it "offends" a minority of people. They took the 10 Commandment out of a courthouse because it "offends" a minority of people. You can't say certain words because if "offends" some people.
    This mosque offends me and I feel it's a slap in the face of all those who died in the towers, the planes and on the ground. I would ask "why?" do they want to build right there? Why, when they know it offends so many people throughout the United States, would they want to impose this building on us? Every time they bow to Allah they will be celebrating their victory. There are circumstances that should be considered in this case....most of all the loved ones of all those people who died that day and Obama needs to re-think his stance on this.
    Thank you. Well said.

Guess what? That isn't going to happen. After this, I can now say without feeling bad, that Barak Obama is a mother fucking asshole. This isn't about being American and letting people build a place of worship. By allowing this he is giving a big middle finger to everyone that died in those towers, and everyone that helped and died trying to rescue people.
    Barack Obama is a mother fucking asshole? Wow! I wonder how you felt about Barack Obama the mother fucking asshole, before he weighed in on this topic. Do you have doubts about his race, ethnicity and the validity of his birthright? How about his family's religious beliefs? Somehow or other, I get the distinct feeling you were pretty FUCKING PISSED OFF at Barack Obama, the mother fucking asshole, long before this issue came to the forefront.

Would you care to share your party and political affiliations with us?

There isn't a mass group of Christians that bomb abortion clinics. There are a select few that are insane and do moronic things like that.
    Just like there isn't a mass group of Muslims that fly airplanes into buildings.

Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Barack Obama is a mother fucking asshole? Wow! I wonder how you felt about Barack Obama the mother fucking asshole, before he weighed in on this topic. Do you have doubts about his race, ethnicity and the validity of his birthright? How about his family's religious beliefs? Somehow or other, I get the distinct feeling you were pretty FUCKING PISSED OFF at Barack Obama, the mother fucking asshole, long before this issue came to the forefront.
    You are right, I am not a fan of his. I have always hoped that he would do the right thing for our country and that he would be the greatest president like everyone hoped. He has shown me in two years that he isn't succeeding and this make me dislike him. I don't doubt his race, ethnicity or his birthplace at all. He was born in Hawaii, he is of mixed race and is an American. What's your point? Are you trying to make fun of me because the man can't stand up for the United States even on this topic? I can have any opinion of him that I want and that sir is my OPINON! Sorry I didn't italicize or underline that. I'm sure you can see it just the way it is and without it being repeated.
    Last edited by jerrytimes; August-14-10 at 01:26 PM.

Just like there isn't a mass group of Muslims that fly airplanes into buildings.

Get it?
    Al-Qaeda is a large group of Muslims that put together a very large operation to do what they did. You forget that this was the 2nd or 3rd attempt at bombing the trade center but them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Would you care to share your party and political affiliations with us?
    Sure. I have no political affiliations and I consider myself a conservative leaning independent. I have voted for Democrats, but more for Republicans. During the last election I was a fan of McCain on the Republican side, and a fan of Clinton on the Democratic side.
    Last edited by jerrytimes; August-14-10 at 01:28 PM.

Buy American Guest

Get it?
    There is a very LARGE faction of muslims out there trying to kill Americans....where have you been during the last 10-15 years? Is your head buried in the sand in some desert?

Al-Qaeda is a large group of Muslims that put together a very large operation to do what they did. You forget that this was the 2nd or 3rd attempt at bombing the trade center but them.
    So what you're saying is that al Qaeda is similar to the very "Christian" Ku Klux Klan, Army of God, Christian Identity, and Promise Keepers?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; August-14-10 at 01:45 PM.

Just like some have apparently forgotten that pesky little 'freedom of religion' thing in the first amendment of the Constitution.

Buy American Guest

Do you know what's offensive? Passing judgment on an entire group of your fellow Americans because of 19 individuals half-a-world away that practiced a radicalized version of the same faith. You think you're pissed? How do you think these Muslims in New York feel when they hear people like you spewing your hateful bullshit?

Do you know what else is offensive? When some self-righteous prick decides to intervene on behalf of the New York City Department of City Planning.
    I am not passing judgement on "fellow Americans" because these people are not Americans in my opinion. It wasn't just 19 individuals who carried this horrendous act out and for you to say that shows me what type of person you are and what your mentality is. I don't care how the muslims in New York feel...they should certainly understand the anger and hurt that the majority of the nation is feeling right now regarding this unnecessary mosque that they want to build in the shadow of the worse disaster in America to this day.

To me, this mosque would be like building a Japanese place of worship over the Arizona in Pearl Harbor. Some things are sacred and important to stand up for. You have your opinion and I have mine. I am not into name calling as you are so I won't respond to that. Take off your rose colored glasses.

You are right, I am not a fan of his. I have always hoped that he would do the right thing for our country and that he would be the greatest president like everyone hoped. He has shown me in two years that he isn't succeeding and this make me dislike him. I don't doubt his race, ethnicity or his birthplace at all. He was born in Hawaii, he is of mixed race and is an American. What's your point? Are you trying to make fun of me because the man can't stand up for the United States even on this topic? I can have any opinion of him that I want and that sir is my OPINON! Sorry I didn't italicize or underline that. I'm sure you can see it just the way it is and without it being repeated.
    I agree with the highlighted parts of your comments. I'm just curious about the Obama is a mother fucking asshole part. Kind of reeks of neo-con, tea party, fundamentalist, rhetoric. I have disagreements with Obama and have developed a clear dislike for him, but Obama is a mother fucking asshole? I might substitute ???? for Obama.

So what you're saying is that al Qaeda is similar to the very Christian Ku Klux Klan.
    Great analogy.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast