Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cycling Detroit as Primary Means of Transportation

This summer I've noticed more cyclists on the streets of Detroit. I'm not sure if this reflects an increase in the number of people riding bikes for transportation, or if I am paying better attention. Can anyone back this up? How many people out there use a bicycle as their primary means of transportation?

I've been living in the city for two years without a car and find it to be a surprisingly bike friendly place. Traffic density is pretty low on most roads [[except for about an hour during the post-work evening exodus of suburbanites) and there is plenty of space for bikes. The winter can be a challenge, but it's not too bad when the roads are cleared.

Please share your cycling experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    This summer I've noticed more cyclists on the streets of Detroit. I'm not sure if this reflects an increase in the number of people riding bikes for transportation, or if I am paying better attention. Can anyone back this up? How many people out there use a bicycle as their primary means of transportation?

I've been living in the city for two years without a car and find it to be a surprisingly bike friendly place. Traffic density is pretty low on most roads [[except for about an hour during the post-work evening exodus of suburbanites) and there is plenty of space for bikes. The winter can be a challenge, but it's not too bad when the roads are cleared.

Please share your cycling experiences.
    Maybe there are just more hipsters around?

I started noticing and uptick around the time the Allied Media Conference and U.S. Social Forum came to town. It seems to have inspired the locals to cycle more. I know three people at my job who regularly cycle to work.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Maybe there are just more hipsters around?
    Could be. However, I haven't noticed an increase in fixed gears around. Maybe just more poor people without cars. Bike culture in Detroit doesn't resemble that of cities like New York, Chicago, or Portland, where bikes are often status symbols and fashion accessories. It seems like more people ride here out of necessity.

Could be. However, I haven't noticed an increase in fixed gears around. Maybe just more poor people without cars. Bike culture in Detroit doesn't resemble that of cities like New York, Chicago, or Portland, where bikes are often status symbols and fashion accessories. It seems like more people ride here out of necessity.
    Ya I know I was semi kidding [[although I have seen a decent amount of fixed gears around). But I know what you mean about "status symbol".... I have a friend in Chicago that has a 1300 dollar bike that I think looks like shit. I guess I don't know anything about hipster logic.

I had thought the same thing. There seems to be more, fixed gear Pabst drinkers or not.

Depending on which street you're riding on, it's fun as well as cheaper to ride a bike instead of driving. I do it all the time.

With auto insurance rates high to the max here in Detroit, it's definitely cheaper.

Also when it comes to local transit, unless you're heading to the suburbs, chances are, you're going to end up waiting up for a long time for a bus to show. If you're heading Downtown, you're better off riding there on your bike instead of waiting for a long time. I can say that when it comes to the suburbs, SMART has been reliable when I need it to be.

DDOT is starting to "wise up" and adding bike racks on their buses. However, there are only 52 buses that are known with them with the first two numbers as "10". It is a start, but DDOT is already falling behind.

To get to work, it takes me about a half hour, depending on which route I take. It's always important to wake up early enough, so you won't end up late for work.

As far as keeping your bike together, do a full checkup every two months. I recommend going to http://jacksbikes.com/

That's where I got my current bike.

DetroitDad Guest

Some of the younger new bike riders have been driving me crazy. They appear to be extremely inexperianced riders.

I've been basically ran off the sidewalk near the Majestic twice already. Just the other day I was walking with headphones, and the music wasn't too loud, but I failed to hear a bicyclist approach behind me, as did the person walking just in front of me. Barreling towards us, he was apparently expecting the people in front of him to "part", and out of surprise that we didn't, swerved into oncoming rush hour Woodward Avenue traffic, in which a bus who was traveling in the open parking lane, and came pretty close to hitting the rider. Upon swerving back onto the sidewalk in front of us, he started swearing back at us, talking about how we need to leave space open for approaching bikes on the sidewalk.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but aren't bicycles supposed to ride in the street, keeping the sidewalk open for pedestrians who generally are walking or using slow speeds of travel?

They are supposed to yield. The no bikes on sidewalks law is there to encourage biking in the streets for pedestrian safety and to make it easier to ticket a cyclist when they are being reckless, but I've rarely seen this enforced in any city. I always bike on the streets because sidewalks are too crowded, but if I do need to ride on them, I'll come to a complete stop for strollers or young children or the elderly. I have a bell and one ring is sufficient. If it's someone with an ipod turned up way too much [[I'm guilty of it too) and they get startled by me passing by, well we live in a city, and cities are full of sudden surprises.

I sold my car as well and bike everywhere because it's cheap and a good way to enjoy the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Some of the younger new bike riders have been driving me crazy. They appear to be extremely inexperianced riders.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but aren't bicycles supposed to ride in the street, keeping the sidewalk open for pedestrians who generally are walking or using slow speeds of travel?
    I'm with you, DetroitDad. Bikes do not belong on the sidewalk. It is confusing to motorists and more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists.

Another thing that gets my goat are the [[generally older) people who ride on the street opposing traffic. This is not a good idea. I like to call these people salmon.

I'm with you, DetroitDad. Bikes do not belong on the sidewalk. It is confusing to motorists and more dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists.

Another thing that gets my goat are the [[generally older) people who ride on the street opposing traffic. This is not a good idea. I like to call these people salmon.
    This is why it is important that cities make it easier for bikes to ride in the streets. Also, there should be questions pertaining to bicycling on a driver's licence exam.

Every major thoroughfare should either have bike lanes or signs cautioning drivers. City ordinances should be enforced regularly pertaining to intentional assaults by motorists.

Do cyclists have to pass an exam to receive a license? [[I almost referred to them as bikers)

I wanted to bring up the point that despite efforts that cyclist make to keep themselves visible on the road to other vehicles, most drivers attempt to run cyclists off of the road that they are suppose to share.

This could be due to ignorance, or egotism.

I would also like to bring up another idea to make Detroit more bike-friendly. The bike racks will probably be on every public bus in metro Detroit in 2 years. To have bike lockers, and racks at every transit center in the metro area would help as well.

For some, like myself, cycling will remain a primary means of transport, with public transport as the secondary. Not everyone will be able to afford a car, let alone pay the insurance rates that are here in Detroit.

However, my reason is also medical.

Anyone who would like to view my blog pertaining to cycling, you are welcome to go here: The Trials and Tribulations of a Detroit Bicyclist

I would also like to bring up another idea to make Detroit more bike-friendly. The bike racks will probably be on every public bus in metro Detroit in 2 years. To have bike lockers, and racks at every transit center in the metro area would help as well.

For some, like myself, cycling will remain a primary means of transport, with public transport as the secondary. Not everyone will be able to afford a car, let alone pay the insurance rates that are here in Detroit.

However, my reason is also medical.

Anyone who would like to view my blog pertaining to cycling, you are welcome to go here: The Trials and Tribulations of a Detroit Bicyclist

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I wanted to bring up the point that despite efforts that cyclist make to keep themselves visible on the road to other vehicles, most drivers attempt to run cyclists off of the road that they are suppose to share.

This could be due to ignorance, or egotism.
    One thing that might help is make it illegal to drive in the right lane for more than two blocks on major streets. That lane is reserved for buses, vehicles making turns, taxis picking up customers and bicycles. Don't know about Michigan, but the right lanes around here are always wider so passing all those other vehicles on a bike isn't an issue.

<quote>One thing that might help is make it illegal to drive in the right lane for more than two blocks on major streets.</quote>

I agree. However, when it comes to enforcing traffic laws, the city cops are poor at that since they have "bigger" fish to fry, with the exception of being Downtown. Too bad that the buses don't have reserved lanes. Of course, everyone knows that most of the crime occurs outside of Downtown, yet it receives the most protection.

Having a bunch of signs that say "Watch out for Bikes", would also be a start. Although making left turns on a bike can be difficult when there is a lot of traffic on a street. Having fines for talking on the cellphone without a hands-free device while behind the wheel, would help a lot too.

However, with the excessive crime in Detroit and the low amount of policing, only the top laws will probably be enforced.

Leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves.

I feel there has been a noticeable increase for a couple years. There are more people taking their bikes to work, more people recreationally riding and a huge amount of people who you know do not have other transportation both summer and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    <quote>One thing that might help is make it illegal to drive in the right lane for more than two blocks on major streets.</quote>

I agree. However, when it comes to enforcing traffic laws, the city cops are poor at that since they have "bigger" fish to fry, with the exception of being Downtown. Too bad that the buses don't have reserved lanes. Of course, everyone knows that most of the crime occurs outside of Downtown, yet it receives the most protection.

Having a bunch of signs that say "Watch out for Bikes", would also be a start. Although making left turns on a bike can be difficult when there is a lot of traffic on a street. Having fines for talking on the cellphone without a hands-free device while behind the wheel, would help a lot too.

However, with the excessive crime in Detroit and the low amount of policing, only the top laws will probably be enforced.

Leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves.
    The easiest way is a solid red stripe next to the dashed white line. I have a photo what this looks like, I'll have to dig it up.

I've ridden thousands of miles in Detroit and have never been run off the road. I've been yelled at exactly twice. [[Riding in the suburbs has yielded opposite results, but that's another topic.)

I would suggest that if anyone is having many issues with Detroit drivers, they might benefit from bicycle training courses offered through the Wheelhouse and PEAC. The classes teach you how to avoid being in situations where you can be cut off or worse.

there need to be more bike paths like the Dequindre Cut..