Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Major fire at dickerson and ejefferson firefighters injured

Looks like the big apartment facade from 2 storys down to the ground and hit some firefighters witness said 3 and were transpoted to Beaumont Grosse Pointe....7 news

Default Map link

There is an empty apartment building on the corner of Lenox, is this it?

http://tinyurl.com/2ajkrft

Oops, didn't work. Try this one:http://tinyurl.com/2fkrdpk

Apparently the blaze happened at the stores next door to the 10 story structure. The vacant, but recently renovated apartment building in the link made it out okay. Unfortunately, 6 firefighters have been injured.

sounds as if the fire was in the shops to the southwest of the apartment building-the liquor store looked to be "unaffected" according to a witness on wwj this morning.

I know this area! Pretty involved fire.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-building-fire

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    There is an empty apartment building on the corner of Lenox, is this it?

http://tinyurl.com/2ajkrft

Oops, didn't work. Try this one:http://tinyurl.com/2fkrdpk

Buy American Guest

Please pray for the injured firefighters. One is serious and has been intubated. One can't feel his legs, one has broken legs. Just heard from the wife of a firefighter on her way to St. Johns to be with the wife of the intubated firefighter. Please pray hard.
    gazhekwe...that's the building, it's the old Savorine Hotel [[sp?)

Yes, that's the location directly across from a DPS career technical center [[Golightly CTC)... There've been many suspicious fires in that area.... Further down Lenox street many houses have been burned. And the front facade of the CVS nearby was burned late winter.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010081...-Detroit-blaze

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Apparently the blaze happened at the stores next door to the 10 story structure. The vacant, but recently renovated apartment building in the link made it out okay. Unfortunately, 6 firefighters have been injured.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-13-10 at 09:06 AM.

Was the the building that housed the Michigan National Bank and had a large neon sign of an Native American Chief on top a long time ago?

These man and women are heroic no doubt about that, especially in Detroit. It is also pretty sad to think of all the work going into renovating the hotel into an apartment building with nice facade and high density doing good for the area's density. But I hope the fire units are OK, that's the main thing.

Per WWJ. Three are in fair condition, one critical at St. John's Hospital. There is reportedly one at Receiving, another one somewhere else.

The Savarine Hotel appears from the exterior to be ok, but who knows how much heat and smoke damage there is to the interior. Firewall or not, heat still travels. The 3 two story business buildings to the east are totally destroyed. The facade of the liquor store fell which was the building closest to the Savarine and was fully involved when I left. The 6 firefighters were hurt when part of the facade of the cell phone store furthest east partially collapsed on them unexpectedly. The fire started in the center of the 3 buildings.

More details from eye witness accounts....

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/home/firefig...own-in-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Looks like the big apartment facade from 2 storys down to the ground and hit some firefighters witness said 3 and were transpoted to Beaumont Grosse Pointe....7 news

They are calling it a chemical fire and evacuating the area according to WWJ.

My prayers go out to the FFs and their families. Dad made it out of DFD without any major injuries [[after 30+ years) but we all feel the pain and sorrow when one of the "family" is injured.

Buy American Guest

Latest Update:

One firefighter can't feel anything from the waist down, going into surgery at Receiving.
    One has severe head injuries.
    One has broken ribs and vertabrea[[sp?) damage.
    Others have broken legs, feet, head injuries.

Pray for them.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I hope they have a full recovery. Those guys are not paid enough!

Yeah, this was a mess.

We awoke in GPP to absolutely NO water pressure, literally drips from the shower head.

The smoke over Jefferson was some of the heaviest I've ever seen.

They had something like four to six blocks of Jefferson completely closed down.

Closer to downtown, there was also a heavy smoke smell near Indian Village, although I couldn't see where it was coming from...what a totally weird start for a Friday the 13th.

Oddly, in an off-topic note, I saw more people broken down on the side of the highways last night than I've EVER seen. On THREE freeways, on the way to and from band rehearsal last night out slightly NE of Egypt at 15 and Utica...must've been ten or more cars broken down or somethin'.

Here's another bit of good energy for the firefighters...I pray they all come out of this restored and whole.
    Last edited by Gannon; August-13-10 at 12:17 PM.

My prayers go out to injured firemen. Hope they all recover fully and quickly!

Please let them recover soon.

Pitful! More "I don't care about Detroit people" arsonists stikes again. That could be number one target on the DPD and DFD's list. You all folks want to burn Detroit down, go right ahead. It would do any good for the ghettohoods. Everyone is getting put out of their homes and businesses when the downsizing plan for Mayor KING BING comes.

Prayers sent.

My friend just told me that the ATF was on-site on her drive home from work.

Do we have any updates on our fallen heroes?

Buy American Guest

Updates that I just heard:
    Brian has broken ribs, broken hip, possible broken feet, lung damage, is intubated.
    Razzy has a broken hip and has been transferred to RO Beaumont for surgery.
    Brenden may be paralyzed from the chest down, drs. aren't sure at this point. Head lacerations.
    The others have broken elbows, feet, legs, crushed bones, but all are expected to survive. Thank God. Keep them all in your prayers. If I hear more I'll post.

This is just a shame. A damn shame. I pray that Brenden & the other guys end up without long-lasting effects from this.

Danny [[& everyone else who may want to add extra) let's please keep this thread respectful, saving political b.s. for somewhere else. There is enough of that everywhere we look. Now isn't the time. This isn't the place. Thank you.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    This is just a shame. A damn shame. I pray that Brenden & the other guys end up without long-lasting effects from this.

Danny [[& everyone else who may want to add extra) let's please keep this thread respectful, saving political b.s. for somewhere else. There is enough of that everywhere we look. Now isn't the time. This isn't the place. Thank you.
    You're 100% correct jtf1972...thanks for that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast