Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Dr laura goes off

Does anybody here listen to that woman, if so what do you think ?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...0jmtAD9HIATF80

I thought you wrote, Dr. Laura gets off, which would have been a first for her.

No, don't listen and have gotten into the habit of avoiding WJR as a result of that shrew.

Not if I can avoid her.

"Dr." Laura is a sanctimonious, hypocritical, low-grade moron who is about as "listenable" on the radio as Laura Ingram, Stephanie Miller and Rachel Maddow.

But going back to the quote in question, if you listen to the entire exchange and hear the context in which it was used, she was pointing out what I call the politically correct paradox.

It's not PC-acceptable for whites to use the language she used, but perfectly acceptable for blacks to use the same term when speaking.

And no, I'm not going link to the audio here.

I don't know why anybody listens to any of these babbling turds on so-called talk shows.

I just hope she never poses nude again!

I didn't click on the OP link, just figured it was Dr. Laura screaming at some poor caller. Well, I happened to hear her rant on NPR and all I can say in WTF is that loon doing on the air.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    Not if I can avoid her.

"Dr." Laura is a sanctimonious, hypocritical, low-grade moron who is about as "listenable" on the radio as Laura Ingram, Stephanie Miller and Rachel Maddow.

But going back to the quote in question, if you listen to the entire exchange and hear the context in which it was used, she was pointing out what I call the politically correct paradox.

It's not PC-acceptable for whites to use the language she used, but perfectly acceptable for blacks to use the same term when speaking.

And no, I'm not going link to the audio here.
    The word in question has a long history as a vicious slur used by whites against blacks. As a white person, I would say that it is never appropriate for any white person to use that word in any context.

As for whether black people can or should use the word, that's an ongoing debate in the black community, and I don't think white people have any business involving ourselves in that debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    The word in question has a long history as a vicious slur used by whites against blacks. As a white person, I would say that it is never appropriate for any white person to use that word in any context.

As for whether black people can or should use the word, that's an ongoing debate in the black community, and I don't think white people have any business involving ourselves in that debate.
    Your reasoning tells me that you think we are all much, much different. Isn't that the problem or are we in fact all the same. All this divisionest thinking is the problem to me. Let's make sure that everyone white or black knows that we are very, very different then we can all be happy and sing cumbaya. I'm sick of this type of thinking and this type of political correctness.

On matters relating to race, as a black man I always like to see what white guys like Tim Wise thinks and get his take, its interesting.

http://www.timwise.org/2010/08/dr-la...-racist-alert/

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Your reasoning tells me that you think we are all much, much different. Isn't that the problem or are we in fact all the same. All this divisionest thinking is the problem to me. Let's make sure that everyone white or black knows that we are very, very different then we can all be happy and sing cumbaya. I'm sick of this type of thinking and this type of political correctness.
    While I understand what you're saying and where you're coming, I'm always confused why blacks and white must act as if we have NO differences between us at all in order to get along. Must men and women act as if there are no differences between them? How come men and women can acknowledge difference and still get along. In fact, isn't it amazing that the differences between men and women is often what attracts the two together? Sometimes I wonder if certain people are bisexual. I mean God forbid we notice differences between different groups so men must look the same to these people as women do.

Black people and white people are different in ways and that should not be hidden or swept under the rug so we can pretend to get along. We should be able to accept differences without automatically saying the difference is either good or bad, but looking at the difference and making a judgment based on that difference. Men and women both have a different experience in this country and go through different things. You're a fool if you truly believe that blacks and whites have the exact same experiences in this country. Not to mention the difference in how people are treated, there are physical differences as well. There's a reason for the different skin color, features, etc. Let's stop pretending to tolerate each other and learn to actually talk TO each other.

P.S.: One thing I will say is ALL humans are more alike than they are different and I will agree we should spend more time focusing on what we have in common than what we don't have in common. However, I think it is a huge mistake to pretend we have everything in common. I also think there is a problem if we can't acknowledge a difference between groups of people without hating that group because they are different.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; August-15-10 at 01:12 AM.

lincoln8740 Guest

ahhh white guilt

How dare we ever question ANYTHING in the black community.

we are evil white people

Buy American Guest

I am not a fan of Dr. Laura. I listened to the audio of the exchange between her and "Jade", a black woman married to a white man. Jade is upset at her husband's family making racial remarks and wondered what to do.
    Dr. Laura did not use the word in a condescending, mean, hateful way. She was simply pointing out that blacks call each other the "word" all over the place, that HBO uses the "word" all the time and that this woman was too sensitive. I am sick of hearing rap music being blasted from cars with the "word" and f**k and b***h and wh**e and all kinds of terrible things that I wouldn't want my grandchildren to hear...but that's okay. Let Dr. Laura use the "word" and all hell breaks loose.
    Dr. Laura did absolutely nothing wrong.
    I am upset that she was "forced" to apologize the next day by the likes of Sharpton because she feared losing her job.
    I am also upset that people like Steve Harvey, Chris Rock, Whoopi Goldberg, and Wanda Sykes can belittle white people, call them names that are offensive to whites and get away with it. Where is the outrage when that happens? Where are Sharpton and Jackson then?
    Last edited by Buy American; August-15-10 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    While I understand what you're saying and where you're coming, I'm always confused why blacks and white must act as if we have NO differences between us at all in order to get along. Must men and women act as if there are no differences between them? How come men and women can acknowledge difference and still get along. In fact, isn't it amazing that the differences between men and women is often what attracts the two together? Sometimes I wonder if certain people are bisexual. I mean God forbid we notice differences between different groups so men must look the same to these people as women do.

Black people and white people are different in ways and that should not be hidden or swept under the rug so we can pretend to get along. We should be able to accept differences without automatically saying the difference is either good or bad, but looking at the difference and making a judgment based on that difference. Men and women both have a different experience in this country and go through different things. You're a fool if you truly believe that blacks and whites have the exact same experiences in this country. Not to mention the difference in how people are treated, there are physical differences as well. There's a reason for the different skin color, features, etc. Let's stop pretending to tolerate each other and learn to actually talk TO each other.

P.S.: One thing I will say is ALL humans are more alike than they are different and I will agree we should spend more time focusing on what we have in common than what we don't have in common. However, I think it is a huge mistake to pretend we have everything in common. I also think there is a problem if we can't acknowledge a difference between groups of people without hating that group because they are different.
    Point well taken.

A black woman has to listen to racial slurs against people of her race by her in-laws in her own home. That is not all right, and she is not too sensitive. Her husband and his family need to respect her enough to clean up their language and subject matter in her home. Clearly, they do not respect her at all.

I bet they would say to her, "But, we don't think of you as black," meaning they have accepted her into their circle, so they feel comfortable talking trash around her. They are thinking of themselves, and not her. Clearly, she does not feel a part of their circle, since they persist in excluding people of her race.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    A black woman has to listen to racial slurs against people of her race by her in-laws in her own home. That is not all right, and she is not too sensitive. Her husband and his family need to respect her enough to clean up their language and subject matter in her home. Clearly, they do not respect her at all.

I bet they would say to her, "But, we don't think of you as black," meaning they have accepted her into their circle, so they feel comfortable talking trash around her. They are thinking of themselves, and not her. Clearly, she does not feel a part of their circle, since they persist in excluding people of her race.
    I wonder if she knew about her husband and his family's views before she married the man? If she is that concerned, then I would suggest she leave the idiot instead of calling Dr. Laura. This didn't just come up overnight, ya think?

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. We don't know all the facts. Either way, she should be respected by her family in her own home. If in their home, she can take a leaf out of my book, take a nice walk outside, and come back after they have finished blowing off steam.

Dr. Laura is mix and match. She has some positive advice on relationships, and also says other stuff that is just plain off the wall. I guess when you're yapping it up for as many hours as she does, she's bound to fill up the time with some nonsense somewhere.
    IMO take what she says with a grain of salt, consider for yourself what advice to take, and what information is just pure crapola.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I am not a fan of Dr. Laura. I listened to the audio of the exchange between her and "Jade", a black woman married to a white man. Jade is upset at her husband's family making racial remarks and wondered what to do.
    Dr. Laura did not use the word in a condescending, mean, hateful way. She was simply pointing out that blacks call each other the "word" all over the place, that HBO uses the "word" all the time and that this woman was too sensitive. I am sick of hearing rap music being blasted from cars with the "word" and f**k and b***h and wh**e and all kinds of terrible things that I wouldn't want my grandchildren to hear...but that's okay. Let Dr. Laura use the "word" and all hell breaks loose.
    Dr. Laura did absolutely nothing wrong.
    I am upset that she was "forced" to apologize the next day by the likes of Sharpton because she feared losing her job.
    I am also upset that people like Steve Harvey, Chris Rock, Whoopi Goldberg, and Wanda Sykes can belittle white people, call them names that are offensive to whites and get away with it. Where is the outrage when that happens? Where are Sharpton and Jackson then?

Boo fuckin' hoo....I apologize for any offense that any thinking person of european descent may have taken, but BA, has proven to me over the last few months that he is actually full of BS....

Why would anyone still be listening to this tabloid talk show? The woman has been proven a fraud and a hypocrite on numerous occasions, like how she had her first name legally changed to "Dr." even though she is not one. Sounds about as credible as a certain "Reverend" David Murry.

Crumbled p:
    It sounds as though you are talking about people as groups,i.e., all men are one way and all women are another, all blacks are one way and all whites are another. This can lead to people thinking that any man who is gentle and courteous isn't a "real" man or any black person who speaks standard English and had a middleclass upbringing in the suburbs isn't really black. I remember working with a group of black teens . One fair-complected girl told about how some other girls made her cry because they accused of her liking "white" music. She should have just laughed it off, but she evidently felt that a lot of her friends in school felt the same way. My son once told me that a neighbor child said he was a girl because his socks had one pink stripe. This while her brother wore outlandishly colored shorts that went to his knees. I spent a lot of time while my son was young telling him that there was nothing he could do that would make him a girl.
    Last edited by maxx; August-17-10 at 08:28 AM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Boo fuckin' hoo....I apologize for any offense that any thinking person of european descent may have taken, but BA, has proven to me over the last few months that he is actually full of BS....
    More comments from "the home".

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Crumbled p:
    It sounds as though you are talking about people as groups,i.e., all men are one way and all women are another, all blacks are one way and all whites are another.
    I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. However, if you can't tell a black person from a white person or a woman from a man then ... There are differences, they should be acknowledged, although all people in a group are not exactly alike. I think my post was quite clear.

I really don't think anybody should be using that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    More comments from "the home".

Yep whatever your ignorance means. Must be nice to be a Black man in america isnt it BS.....I mean BA....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast