Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default West Riverfront Community Meeting

Who is planning on attending?

We want to hear from you! The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy is hosting a community meeting on Thursday, August 12 at 6:00pm to discuss our conceptual plans for the West Riverfront. The Detroit Riverfront Conservancy values your input as being critical to our success; we invite you to share your thoughts as we move forward with the vision to transform Detroit's International Riverfront, the face of Detroit into a beautiful, exciting, safe, accessible, world-class gathering place for all. To RSVP, send an e-mail to rsvp@detroitriverfront.org or call

or visit detroitriverfront.org

I attended this meeting and it went reasonbly well. The riverfront conservatory presented a prelininary design that went beyound just the river's edge. Their intent to use the existing railroad right-of-way as a new Street parralel to the park [[as a way to avoid truck traffic and Fort Street} was misunderstood by a couple of people. I saw the new road as an oportunity to provide a access street where truck traffic was not allowed. The new road also provided space for development between Jefferson and the New road. This provides access to the new structures that may house multiuse activities [[housing, office and retail) accross from the park while adding a sense of security with the additional residents and patrons.
    I also like the extension of the bike paths and would like them to add a trail from Michigan Central Station next to the railroad r.o.w. Does any know if the water is safe enough to have a coved beach?

I'm carpet-bagging remotely, but if I were there, I would have attended as well. Thanks for the informative posts, French777 and leady106. I would also attend the upcoming fundraiser on Riverwalk, methinks [[shameless plug :-). I'm stoked, just stoked to see that they're proceeding with plans for the West Waterfront! Three cheers from CT.

Interesting. I'd think the current near the Bridge would be too swift to have any kind of beach, coved or otherwise, in that area. I guess that's what we have Belle Isle for.

What were the plans for the railroad line? Do they propose to just yank all the rail east of the bridge? I know the NS is only using their Boat Yard for storage at the moment, but the CSX has quite the active trans-load facility going on at 15th Street currently.

Are there any remderings for any initial plans or do they have what was available for view at the meeting online anywhere?

I attended the standing-room-only meeting and was impressed with the initial presentation and design. I would say the biggest difference between the east and west RiverWalk designs is the latter is more green and park-like.