Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The End of the Internet

you knew it was coming and the sheeple will just go along with the program....

Thank you, bushies. Thank you republicants in the senate who won't allow net-neutrality bills go forward

So much for "Don't be evil."

Looks like SNOW CRASH is about to become a reality where media is government and government is media. So long liberal voice hello corporate voice. Google and Verizon wants all T.V. radio, phone and Internet to run like the 'Christmas Light' effect program. As in if you don't buy the Net, you don't get the T.V. radio, phone service included. If you all want to end this corporate media giants like Google/Verizon, just don't buy their products and they will be out of business.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

because global information and commuication must be free for Neda's sake.
    Last edited by Danny; August-13-10 at 08:31 AM.

The internet is dead. I tried to get on it this morning and it wasn't there.

I can't believe what I'm reading!

[[No, not really.)

Who in their right mind would want to federal government to be regulating the internet?

Look at the slam, bang-up job they did with the financial markets? Banking? Housing? Healthcare? The auto companies?

Do you really want those same people to control the Internet?

I'm not big on government regulation either. But, as far as the mess the financial markets, banking and housing are in, that's due in large part to a lack of government regulation. Let them handle it on their own and see what happens. Not always a good scenario. As far as healthcare and the auto industry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    I have been following the net neutrality debate for several years. There are volumes of information about it that explain much more than that one article. One thing that everyone involved with it seems to agree on is that once we lose it, we'll never get it back. It is a big thing and people should become vocal about it, with a real sense of urgency. I can pretty much guarantee that if the corporations have their way, you're not going to like the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I'm not big on government regulation either. But, as far as the mess the financial markets, banking and housing are in, that's due in large part to a lack of government regulation. Let them handle it on their own and see what happens. Not always a good scenario. As far as healthcare and the auto industry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    I have been following the net neutrality debate for several years. There are volumes of information about it that explain much more than that one article. One thing that everyone involved with it seems to agree on is that once we lose it, we'll never get it back. It is a big thing and people should become vocal about it, with a real sense of urgency. I can pretty much guarantee that if the corporations have their way, you're not going to like the outcome.
    Everything that I've cited above were things that the government regulated for years, then screwed up, and then stepped in amid much fanfare to "fix" the problems they created.

The federal government can't even properly take care of the things that it's supposed to do. When it gets into things it has no business regulating, they just make things worse.

I never claimed that all companies were altruistic in their operations, but the bottom line here is, this is where basic economics applies.

If people can provide a service better than that offered by Google/Verizon for a better cost, then Google's plan will fail.

Or, if enough people choose not to do business with them and tell them what they can do with their plan, then it will also fail.

They will not continue a plan that loses money.

I'm not going to argue government regulation with you because I'm not a big fan myself. But I have worked on web sites for years and on occasion with google because of that. Trust me, Google is not going to fail. Couple them up with Verizon and Comcast and there's no way they'll lose money or leave room for you to go another route if you're not satisfied. Honestly, I'm not even comfortable saying that online. Like working with google, if you have web sites, and they send you to the sandbox, good luck getting out.

That might make an interesting poll. "Was the global economic meltdown made better or worse by deregulation?" I'd say the timing alone overwhelmingly indicates that deregulation exacerbated the problem. Even Alan Greenspan Conceded Error on Regulation. He "acknowledged that his belief in deregulation had been shaken."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That might make an interesting poll. "Was the global economic meltdown made better or worse by deregulation?" I'd say the timing alone overwhelmingly indicates that deregulation exacerbated the problem. Even Alan Greenspan Conceded Error on Regulation. He "acknowledged that his belief in deregulation had been shaken."
    Maybe a poll on weather the global economic meltdown was due to the fact that our government is absolutely incompentant on both sides of the aisle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Maybe a poll on weather the global economic meltdown was due to the fact that our government is absolutely incompetent on both sides of the aisle?
    Yeah, I'm sure there's more than enough incompetence to go around. However that might be letting them off too easily. I'm more concerned about out-and-out graft.

I notice some folks get bogged down talking about gov't regulation, but do we really want to see happen what the author of the article is saying ?

"Author's note: Notice how a company can change their tune in the name of profitmaking. From Google in 2006: "Today the Internet is an information highway where anybody - no matter how large or small, how traditional or unconventional - has equal access. But the phone and cable monopolies, who control almost all Internet access, want the power to choose who gets access to high-speed lanes and whose content gets seen first and fastest. They want to build a two-tiered system and block the on-ramps for those who can't pay"

That's what's strange. Up until a year or so ago, google was pro net neutrality and comcast was the one pushing for change. I'm not sure if it has something to do with google entering into the phone business that has created their change of attitude.

The parasitic saboteurs in power are going to attempt to close free access to ideas while pinning the blame on some, any, scapegoat like Barack Obama. Then they'll yank your chain, forcing you to agree to their terms.

Bow to your corporate masters or revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    "Author's note: Notice how a company can change their tune in the name of profitmaking. From Google in 2006: "Today the Internet is an information highway where anybody - no matter how large or small, how traditional or unconventional - has equal access. But the phone and cable monopolies, who control almost all Internet access, want the power to choose who gets access to high-speed lanes and whose content gets seen first and fastest. They want to build a two-tiered system and block the on-ramps for those who can't pay"
    The CEO of Google Eric Schmidt was a Bilderberger in 2008 and 2010. Since hanging out with this high profile international management class, Mr. Schmidt has made some statements that sound rather 'managerial' in a big brother sort of way. It is no surprise that he is getting chummy with Verizon. Schmidt also endorsed President Obama and was on the President's economic transition economic advisory board.

Regarding web privacy:
    "The only way to manage this is true transparency and no anonymity. In a world of asynchronous threats, it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a [verified] name service for people. Governments will demand it." -Eric Schmidt

Google CEO Schmidt: No Anonymity Is The Future Of Web

Google and Verizon are trying to sell internet access the way cable tv is sold. Pay a little and get a little internet access; pay more and get access to more sites. It's another way to limit people's access to information which is the basis of a democracy. I hope everyone noticed the letter to Congress members you could send at the end of the article.
    Last edited by maxx; August-14-10 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Google and Verizon are trying to sell internet access the way cable tv is sold. Pay a little and get a little internet access; pay more and get access to more sites. It's another way to limit people's access to information which is the basis of a democracy. I hope everyone noticed the letter to Congress members you could send at the end of the article.
    I'm not sure this is true. We're not headed the way of China and many middle eastern countries on censorship [[at least not yet).

The issue today is use of bandwidth and download volumes. DSL and cable ISPs already charge increasing rates for increasing access speeds and monthly GBs downloaded.

The real answer is the development of affordable individualized satellite internet access. With that, one can avoid using any intermediary ISP. Such service is around today, but its pretty costly.

You don't think? The president can shut the internet down now if he wants. That's step number one.

Google-Verizon Pact: It Gets Worse
    The proposal is one massive loophole that sets the stage for the corporate takeover of the Internet....

What Google and Verizon are proposing is fake Net Neutrality. You can read their framework for yourself....

Certainly by now we should have learned -- from AIG, Massey Energy, BP, you name it -- what happens when we let big companies regulate themselves or hope they'll do the right thing.
    Click the link for more.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-14-10 at 09:16 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Default They Called Us Locust People!? Why Privacy and Anonymity is important

Google refers to us as consumers instead of citizens.....

They really had me going too. I guess we need to make sure we know who we are following.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; August-16-10 at 02:23 AM.

Why not! This is the best time... We have the right folks in now, they will help us. And their administrations and determinisms will be benevolent no doubt...
    Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    I can't believe what I'm reading!

[[No, not really.)

Who in their right mind would want to federal government to be regulating the internet?

Look at the slam, bang-up job they did with the financial markets? Banking? Housing? Healthcare? The auto companies?

Do you really want those same people to control the Internet?