Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bonwit Teller at Somerset

I never knew that the Neiman Marcus is on the former site of a Bonwit Teller, the other anchor of the original Somerset Mall, until recently. Does anyone have any photographs of Bonwit Teller? Neiman Marcus is not the original structure and I couldn't find anything on the internet.

And Lowell, if you find this to be more appropriate in Connect, feel free to move.

I recall going to Somerset with my father in the 1980's when it was one level. I think they added a second level in the original building in the late 1980's or early 1990's and the new Neiman Marcus was opened at that time.

I think the Nieman Marcus structure is still the original with a new facade.

Attachment 7150

Attachment 7149

The Wikipedia article on Somerset Collection [[I know Wikipedia, blah, blah!) says that NM was built on the site of the razed Bonwit Teller store.

And that is one ugly store. Thank you though!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-12-10 at 10:43 AM.

The N-M store is completely new. I'm guessing the Bonwit Teller structure was too small for their needs and it was cheaper to start over with a new building.

by rebuilding instead of retrofitting, the NM store lines up better with the second level of the mall. contrast this with the SFA side.

My Grandmother was a department manager at Bonwits, and that store was beautiful inside. The center had an atrium, filled with plants, and with glass escalators. All of the different departments were sectioned into small rooms, and were decorated by some of the top decorators in the country. They were like rooms in a private home. It looked rich,

In the fall of 1988, Bonwit Teller got a makeover, new entrance on Big Beaver, to fit in with the art deco look of the rest of the mall.

...then within 3 years it closed. Thank you all for the information!