Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Whose cannon is it anyway?

There is a cannon located on the east side near Conner and Warren. It is in beautiful condition and well kept . Unfortunately the commemorative plaque is missing. Does any one know where it is from and what it commemorates?

someone should commandeer it and put it on ebay for sale......

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDoctor View Post
    There is a cannon located on the east side near Conner and Warren. It is in beautiful condition and well kept . Unfortunately the commemorative plaque is missing. Does any one know where it is from and what it commemorates?
    It commemorates Detroit's East-side, fending off an attack from "those" people from the west side, specifically from the attacks by Livonia.

It was a success, as Livonia never again tried to enter onto the East side!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It commemorates Detroit's East-side, fending off an attack from "those" people from the west side, specifically from the attacks by Livonia.

Awesome, I think I just actually lol'ed.

with the eastside being the bredding ground for MonCon, Martha Reeves, the Chambers Bros and Eddie Slovak. I'm sure the evil Livonians would let you keep the whole eastside.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    with the eastside being the bredding ground for MonCon, Martha Reeves, the Chambers Bros and Eddie Slovak. I'm sure the evil Livonians would let you keep the whole eastside.
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Eddie was from Dearborn. Lived around Schaefer and Ford Road, worked for Montella Plumbing before he was drafted and had a lousy time of it.

I thought Slovak was from Delray...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Since Eddie was of Polish heritage, I suspect you have something against all Pole's!

P.S. I think Mon[[The Con) Conyers was originally from the west side, as were the Chamber Bro's, Pony Down, and Young Boy's Inc.

The West Side once had Jjaba, but he confirmed that his father lived and worked on the East side, thus giving him a life-time exemption for being an East-sider!

Here's all I could find about any cannon there, maybe it'll jog someone's memory.
    quonset huts on conner and gratiot
    Originally Posted by rmuszynski
    I lived in the quonset hut project near the City Airport from about 1950 to 1955. I would like to hear from anyone who also lived there or who knows a little history on that project. Our hut was on Corbett st., the road that lead to what was then a Hudson Motor Car Plant.
    I lived in the quonset huts at the other end ,at conner and warren ,where the cannon is across the street from 1947 to 1959 until they evicted everybody and tore them down. We didn't owe a home and there was a housing shortage when my dad came back from the war. We couldn't get into the parkside projects so the overflow went into the quonset huts.
    Growing up in Detroit
    EMG
    Originally Posted by SJ.Jet
    Born in Bon Secours, lived on Lenox near E Warren. Then moved to Pinewood, at 7 Mile & Gratiot.
    Finished growing up in Harper Woods. My dad grew up at Conner & Gratiot in what he always referred to as the Projects, some place called Parkside, I think. Anyone every heard of it? When I was little, he used to take us kids on drives through his old neighborhood but all I remember is that Parkside was near City Airport and there were cannons in the courtyards of the buildings
    Not just heard of it - my mom and grandparents LIVED in Parkside, and my mom lived there until her early teens, when my grandparents moved into the duplex on Nottingham in the early 50's, so that my mom could attend Denby High which was perceived as a better school at the time. Then, once I came along a few years later, I continued to live on Nottingham with my grandparents while my parents both worked.

While in Parkside, my mother and grandparents lived on a street called Stringham Court, I believe; it was right within Chandler Park and my mom has fond memories of enjoying that park, and the public swimming pool there, and of attending Hamilton elementary and Jackson middle schools.

It was near Conner and WARREN, not Gratiot, though.

Last edited by MikeM; August-12-10 at 09:16 AM.

Since Eddie was of Polish heritage, I suspect you have something against all Pole's!

P.S. I think Mon[[The Con) Conyers was originally from the west side, as were the Chamber Bro's, Pony Down, and Young Boy's Inc.

The West Side once had Jjaba, but he confirmed that his father lived and worked on the East side, thus giving him a life-time exemption for being an East-sider!

The first casuality of war is truth.

Thank you for the first real grin of the day!

MikeM, great pix, thanks.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-12-10 at 12:55 PM.

That is a French-built 155mm Schneider Howitzer M1917 with the curved shield and hard rubber tires.

It is also a field artillery piece, not a cannon as it is breech loading, not front loading.

Cannon kind of went out with the advent of the sabot projectile, sometime just after the Civil War.

Res

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    It is also a field artillery piece, not a cannon as it is breech loading, not front loading.

Cannon kind of went out with the advent of the sabot projectile, sometime just after the Civil War.

Res
    Not true.

The official designation of the company in infantry regiments armed with the short-barreled 105mm howitzer on the 75mm pack howitzer carriage was the Regimental Cannon Company.

During WWII, the 20mm and 37mm automatic guns on aircraft were referred to as "cannons".

The Germans used the term "kanone" to describe their long field guns as opposed to "haubitze" for their howitzers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    That is a French-built 155mm Schneider Howitzer M1917 with the curved shield and hard rubber tires.
    Probably built on the other side of the airport at Dodge's Lynch Road plant.

Warrendale has its own cannon on Spinoza. Thats what keeps us safe from Livonia

Along this thread....the two cannon at the Dossin Museum on Belle Isle are the same two that used to be in front of the old City Hall. And does Northwestern HS still have that derelict cannon/artillery piece on its campus?

Vandals took the handle too.

Speaking of East/West.... where's Jjaba???

I miss those 3rd person posts.... even if they are from a westsider....

Don't even think about trying to flank the eastside by trying to sneak around to the north or you will run into this monster I found last week just east of Woodward in Pontiac.

That's just a Pontiac police car, Lowell.

Hope the scrappers don't get the cannon...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast