Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan avenue cleaned up

Lookin good these days. We take the Ave. home from my in-laws in Dearborn, and Ive noticed a spiffier, brighter, shinier Michigan Ave. From Lonyo eastward the Ave is loaded with mom & pop eateries, adult entertainment,antique shops..something for everyone. Appears Yemenis are making their mark with restaurants-hookah joints. Refurbished apartment buildings and above storefront dwellings are becoming plentiful West of Livernois...I think the area had a large Polish population at one time [[Livernois going westward) maybe a Dyeser can fill us in on the history..hopefully the Ave can thrive once again....

Now, if we can just keep a topless club from movin' on in to the historic Senate Theatre, and get the Public Lighting department to fix and replace all those damaged and missing streetlights installed just a few years ago west of Livernois, we'll be closer to all set!

There is definitely some improvement along Michigan, and that momentum has been aided for several years by Latinos moving north from Mexicantown. But, sadly, streets north of Michigan toward W.Warren and the Dearborn city limits are a mixed bag: There are a lot of empty homes, burned-out homes and other signs of growing blight.

I for one would love to see more Latino's moving here and doing what they do...keep things up.

I think if we could just install a portal from the Texas/Mexico boarder and tell'em they can have citizenship if they move to Detroit, buy a house, live in it for 10 years and pay all their taxes we'd solve soooo many problems here.

Arizona don't want them...Detroit does!

Quote Originally Posted by Focus313 View Post
    I for one would love to see more Latino's moving here and doing what they do...keep things up.

I think if we could just install a portal from the Texas/Mexico boarder and tell'em they can have citizenship if they move to Detroit, buy a house, live in it for 10 years and pay all their taxes we'd solve soooo many problems here.

Arizona don't want them...Detroit does!

Being from Texas I can tell you that the issue is not with most illegals. It is with the illegals who sneak in to funnel drugs. With drug running comes all of that famous Mexican gang violence and having seen it myself I can tell you that those are NOT the kind of people that Detroit desires or requires.

The Latinos I know are mostly moving further downriver or thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Focus313 View Post
    I think if we could just install a portal from the Texas/Mexico boarder ....
    It's called I-69

http://www.i69info.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69
    Last edited by Meddle; August-12-10 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is it just my immature little mind that chuckles at the name "I 69"...?

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Is it just my immature little mind that chuckles at the name "I 69"...?

Nope. Living in Flint I get off from 69 quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Nope. Living in Flint I get off from 69 quite often.
    Hows Dort Highway these days? Thats where all the action was back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Hows Dort Highway these days? Thats where all the action was back in the day
    It's desolate like most of the rest of the city