Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Vanity Ballroom 2010

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4641

Vanity, not looking so swell these days.....

Beauty still showing through

This is very sad for me as my mother and father met here in the 40's.....they would both be upset. And as wolverine pointed out there is still some of the beauty showing through, how nice it must have been. As I watch the video, I can almost picture people of that era dancing and having a great time.
    Mauser....Thank you for posting this!!!!

Yeah - it is not too far gone, couldnt somebody close the front freakin door ?

Thanks for this video.

When did it get all tagged to hell? I was in around April and I don't recall it being nearly this bad.

I lived on Newport, about 16 houses from the Vanity, from 1951-1969. It was never open during those years, and was always a big mystery as to what the interior looked like. My borther was an usher there in the 1950's and always talked about the "floating" dance floor.

I drove down Newport the other day, and noticed the street had been re-paved and the curbs replaced. Anyone know if there are any plans for building new homes on the street?

Buy American Guest

Detroit doesn't care a thing about historical buildings and the past...look at the Michigan Central Train Depot, all the beautiful mansions in the downtown area, and the Vanity Ballroom. In it's heyday, this building sure had lots of stories to tell and it's too bad that no one cares anymore. There is an old saying about preserving your past and the future....I can't quote it exactly....if anyone knows please post it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1128Newport View Post
    My borther was an usher there in the 1950's and always talked about the "floating" dance floor
    Yeah, these days your foot will float right through that dance floor !

I think it was tagged with the retardo-graf somewhat recently. In the last 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Yeah, these days your foot will float right through that dance floor !

I think it was tagged with the retardo-graf somewhat recently. In the last 6 weeks.
    Gee, I thought those were Banksy [[s) on the stairway walls??? I'm surprised no one has ripped out the walls and tried to sell the graffiti on eBay. Great opportunity missed!

Does Burgess still own the building? He was asking something like $3 million for it a few years ago.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Detroit doesn't care a thing about historical buildings and the past...look at the Michigan Central Train Depot, all the beautiful mansions in the downtown area, and the Vanity Ballroom. In it's heyday, this building sure had lots of stories to tell and it's too bad that no one cares anymore. There is an old saying about preserving your past and the future....I can't quote it exactly....if anyone knows please post it.
    Nothing's stopping you from buying a historic building in Detroit and preserving it. If you aren't willing to do that, it's hypocritical of you to criticize other people for not being willing to do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    Thanks for this video.

When did it get all tagged to hell? I was in around April and I don't recall it being nearly this bad.
    Did you close the door behind you when you left?

Is that an actual tree growing from the roof of the building?

Who owns this building and why is it not being protected or at least locked up?

It's owned by Leroy Burgess, who is a real estate broker. He's been sitting on it for years, anticipating a big speculative windfall when Detroit "comes back."

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    It's owned by Leroy Burgess, who is a real estate broker. He's been sitting on it for years, anticipating a big speculative windfall when Detroit "comes back."

I wish him good luck with that! Obviously he is not taking care of the building and when Detroit does eventually come back [[because it will) there will be nothing but the land left for him to sell and even with the land there is the demolition cost. I am all for investing but I don't understand what he is doing unless he expects the city to do the demo for him.

new curbs everywhere - it's the law. doesn't matter if no one
    lives there, they have to have handicap curbs everywhere.
    N. Corktown is another area that has the sidewalks to nowhere, but the curbs are new and those bright little orange circles.

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=524

These pictures seem to do this building more justice than is currently necessary. This place must have really been something to alot of people in its time.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Nothing's stopping you from buying a historic building in Detroit and preserving it. If you aren't willing to do that, it's hypocritical of you to criticize other people for not being willing to do it either.
    With the red tape that you'd have to go through to purchase a historical building in Detroit, I say "no thanks". I think Detroit should have established a Preservation Committee long long ago.....modeled after Charleston...they have an ordinance that states no buildings with historical significance shall ever be torn down, that they are to be preserved and rennovated. It's working there, too bad Detroit can't follow it's example.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    With the red tape that you'd have to go through to purchase a historical building in Detroit, I say "no thanks".
    Well, color me shocked.

20. Default

Ugh, it hurts watching that place get desecrated.

Last spring, I wanna say the East Jefferson Business Association had some sort of Come to Jesus meeting aimed at the building owner about the state of unboarded-ness. Anyone know anything about that? Anyone attend?

Also: Would it be hard to board it back up? I don't wanna ruin fellow explorers' fun, and I know a new roof would matter just as much, but.... I can borrow a power drill and chip in for plywood, if a couple of you are a lil stronger than me and someone's got a truck. Would it matter? Anyone in?

I got a truck, a drill, and some plywood. Yet It would be a waste of time if no one is watching when that special someone shows up with a pry bar and wants in.

You know it is a shame that places such as this have gotten the way they are. Go ahead and play the blame game on the fact there are no jobs, and stuff like that, But it shows that there is just a plain lack of respect for other peoples stuff and other persons for that matter that really gets me.

I grew up near the Vanity too, but the white building next to it really brings back the memories. In the day, it was Bill's Bike Shop and also sold/repaired outboard motors.
    Just the glimpse of it opens the floodgates because it was visible at the end of my street and I saw that view literally 10,000 times growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    You know it is a shame that places such as this have gotten the way they are. Go ahead and play the blame game on the fact there are no jobs, and stuff like that, But it shows that there is just a plain lack of respect for other peoples stuff and other persons for that matter that really gets me.
    How could anyone even argue that jobs have anything to do with this? The blame for the outright destruction of this building rests on the residents who did it. They sure enough could afford the spray paint and equipment to mess the place up. I want to move to Detroit and I am doing scouting right now but the behavior of some people just outright scares me. I know that not all people from Detroit are to blame but the destruction of Detroit has been going on for at least three generations now and from what I can see as an outsider looking in does not appear to be much good. I want to not only hope for the best but to be a part of it myself. I just don't see how that is possible with some of the people that live there currently. It is very off putting for me to see such blantant disregard for the property of others and from what I can tell there is virtually no police response to such issues. It is disheartening.

25. Default

reddog289, do you think it would keep people at bay at least for a while? Maybe not the determined, but a few opportunists? Anyone else got an opinion on this? I honestly want to know--I'm all about it, if it would make a difference for even a few months. We were fond of board-up parties in the inner city neighborhood where I lived in St. Louis before I came to Detroit, but I know it helps when you can keep an eye on the place from a few blocks away.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast