Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fisher Building - Favorite places

What are your favorite places to visit in the Fisher Building- Fisher Theatre, bars & restaurants, shops, art galleries, etc.? Any interesting stories?

Many many many years ago, it was the soda fountain at Shetler's Drugs. I also liked the messanine level because it would put you eye level with those wonderful lobby chandeliers.

Is the Fisher building still open to the public, for the ground floor at least?
    My mothers friend worked in the fisher back in the 1980's, and she said there were
    tunnels connecting the surrounding buildings. Are those still open or closed up?
    I've been around there 100's of times, but haven't gone inside yet.
    And i wanted to do so if still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Is the Fisher building still open to the public, for the ground floor at least?
    My mothers friend worked in the fisher back in the 1980's, and she said there were
    tunnels connecting the surrounding buildings. Are those still open or closed up?
    I've been around there 100's of times, but haven't gone inside yet.
    And i wanted to do so if still possible.
    The Fisher has always been open to the public. There are tunnels that connect the Fisher to the New Center Building and the Albert Kahn building north of it. There used to be a tunnel that connected it to the GM building [[now Cadilac place?). Not sure if it is open.

My Dad told me about the tunnels, He used to roller skate in there back in the 30's. That is one of my favorite buildings.

all the tunnels, originally called 'subways' are still open

The Lobby that opens on to Second avenue is one of my favorite rooms in the city. The green stone set into the walls in mirror image patterns is magnificient.

The building is almost always open, and they have the nicest security staff in the city. They are very proud of their building and allow you to check out the main section. You can go up to the third level.

The "subways" are nice, especially if you are a kid and like hearing the echoes.

I like the mezzanine view too; you can see a lot of the detailing better from there.

I like the pictures on the first floor that show the construction of the building. Seeing a Detroit in an earlier time period is always fascinating to me.

bartock Guest

I've always wanted to see the upper floors of that building. I'm curious as to if there are, or what sort of balconies/outside spaces there are on the floors where the building tapers back [[not sure if that is proper use of that term). Also, it seems that there are larger or at least different windows on a couple of the floors above the last set back. I've always imagined some huge boardroom with an amazing view in all directions.

I see the Fisher Building as the most impressive skyscraper in the U.S if not the world. I know it is not as tall as other landmarks and that it was planned to be part of a larger complex but its proportions and details are perfect. If it was in another larger American city it would have songs and movies made about it.
    The Guardian building is a close second, it is a complete work of art, it is unfortunate that it does front Woodward.

One of my favorite parts of the Fisher Building is something that no one can visit... but was shown on an early "Detroit... Remember When" series episode.

It showed a wall that was the last part of the old [[1928 built) Fisher Theatre Mayanesque style plasterwork, with ancient Mayan style cartouches in brilliant colors. Not sure where the location of this wall is, but it's hidden within the new Fisher. It is the only part of the old Fisher that was not destroyed before they installed a new smaller modern shell creating the "new" Fisher in 1961... reducing the size and seating from 2,975 to 2,089 seats.

Some large portions of the theatre's plasterwork remain above the "new" auditorium ceiling...I believe the part pictured on Detroit Remembered was an upper portion of the original lobby.

I worked for Trizec, the Montreal-based company that owned the building in the 1970s. It's both eerie and overwhelming to walk through the Fisher hallways at midnight, when the public has gone home. Our favorite place to play was the outside walkway at the base of the "golden tower." You had great, 360-degree views of the city. Anyone care to guess what is on the inside of the tower, which, of course, is actually green? It's about 2 stories tall.

Is there anything even really worth while in the Fisher Building [[or New Center for that matter) these days, other than the Fisher Theatre and WJR?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is there anything even really worth while in the Fisher Building [[or New Center for that matter) these days, other than the Fisher Theatre and WJR?
    why don't you look up any city guide, new center council website, building website, or model D to find out what appeals to you specifically? there is a lot in new center.

As a child, my pediatrician [[Dr's Cole, Sr. & Jr.) were on the 10th floor, east side of the building. The view out their waiting room windows was something else. But it was the clear mail chutes by the elevators that intregued me. I'd stand there and watch mail go flying down from upper floors to whereever it ended up.

The clear mail chutes just reminds me of my trip to Chicago. The hotel I stayed at [[the W) had those clear chutes next to the elevators. They looked old and I thought they were cool too.

I posted on the Bonwit Teller thread about that store. Before my grandmother worked for Bonwit Teller, she was a buyer for Saks fifth Avenue. There was that tunnel from the New Center to the Fisher building and it was a real thrill to meet her for lunch, we would go to one of the places down there. Can't remember a name of any, but it was packed down there, with places to eat and shop. She went to work for another ritzy store in the Fisher Bldg called Milgrim. They lured her away from Saks, cause she had such a good client book. That store was beautiful, and I remember it was on the northwest corner. It had huge windows and was real elegant

My cousin... the little hellion... was boosted up by his brother and took a leak into the mail chute one day. I got the "priviledge" of being down one floor so that I could watch the pee running down the chute.

My favorite place is the original elevator which is still in working order and open to the public. Some of the elevators have been refurbished, but at least one is still in original condition.

Gistok or DetroitBob -

I've been researching this building now - I can only find out who and what year the theatre renovation was, but cannot find that it was "Gutted". It's obvious the ceiling has been lowered and even the auditorium does not look as wide. - also it looks like the topmost seats of the auditorium are gone due to the ceiling lowered, which would lower seating capacity as well. Is it possible that the original plaster dome could be above, or even some details behind the panels on the walls? It's bittersweet because I wouldn't want them to tear out the 1960's renovation, it's beautiful in its own way, but knowing that the old parts are would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    My cousin... the little hellion... was boosted up by his brother and took a leak into the mail chute one day. I got the "priviledge" of being down one floor so that I could watch the pee running down the chute.
    I was wondering why the mail chutes are all sealed up now. They have them, along with some of Detroit's best elevators, in the Maccabees building as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lingramid View Post
    Gistok or DetroitBob -

I've been researching this building now - I can only find out who and what year the theatre renovation was, but cannot find that it was "Gutted". It's obvious the ceiling has been lowered and even the auditorium does not look as wide. - also it looks like the topmost seats of the auditorium are gone due to the ceiling lowered, which would lower seating capacity as well. Is it possible that the original plaster dome could be above, or even some details behind the panels on the walls? It's bittersweet because I wouldn't want them to tear out the 1960's renovation, it's beautiful in its own way, but knowing that the old parts are would be awesome!
    Lingramid--it was gutted. I have been above the "new" ceiling, and the original dome is long gone. As Gistok and Detroitbob [[Detroitbob has forgotten more about Detroit theaters than Gistok or I ever knew) have described, there are two sections of vertical side wall in the upper rear corners above the ceiling that were left "just to say they left something original".
    I went through the entire theater in 1975, the first time, and again more recently. The theater was taken to the four walls and just the floors were left from the original interior. There is an incredible amount of room above the "new" [[1961) ceiling, room almost as large as the current auditorium.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast