Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Bricks!

Default Bricks!

With all of the construction along Michigan Ave., I've noticed that the brick portion extends to at least west of Clark. Does anyone know the original boundries of the brick portion of Michigan Ave.? Apologies if this was covered before, I couldn't find it.

Most of the major streets such as Gratiot, Woodward, Michigan Ave, and Van Dyke where origionally paved in brick.If you look really closely on Michigan Ave you can see some parts of the street where the trolly tracks are exposed.Over time, the city or state just eventually paved over it with blacktop. A few years ago they repaved van dyke and it was pretty awesome seeing the paver bricks on some parts of the street and the trolly tracks running down the middle.One thing that I could never figure out is why did they not pave over the bricks infront of Tiger Stadium?

LodgeDodger Guest

Milt, you got my hopes up. I was hoping you'd found a supply of bricks I could scrounge for my next gardening project.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Milt, you got my hopes up. I was hoping you'd found a supply of bricks I could scrounge for my next gardening project.

lol...........

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    lol...........
    You people can't see the forest for the trees, I suppose. Great source of brick on Harper these days, you know. Of course you brick snobs want pavers.

I,m not a brick snob, I will take any bricks. Including the ones on Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I thought the same thing LOL
    I had heard a rumor that DPS was going to autcion off / sell off tons of bricks from schools being torn down...I had my fingers crossed that this was about that kind of sale

The bricks used on houses and buildings are most often very porous. They won't always stand up to the freeze/thaw cycle that pavers are subject to. After putting the time and effort into building a patio, walkway or driveway it would be a real shame to watch it crumble into pieces .

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The bricks used on houses and buildings are most often very porous. They won't always stand up to the freeze/thaw cycle that pavers are subject to. After putting the time and effort into building a patio, walkway or driveway it would be a real shame to watch it crumble into pieces .
    I didn't think that a garden decor item is a patio, but ok. Thay was the use requested by LD

could always grab a couple from the Eastown before it's gone, seeing the pictures it's wide open for the taking

I think the above references to Harper were toward the crumbling Eastown. What a shame it collapsed the way that it did.

I'm not sure why MDOT keeps trying to pave over the center of Michigan Avenue's brick stretch between the Lodge and Rosa Parks. I don't think the bricks were ever removed for the placement of any utilities or pipes, so I guess I presume they must just do it to cover up the streetcar rails. If that's the case, I don't understand why. It's been over half a century [[55 years!), since streetcars ran down Michigan, I don't think anyone will be confused as to whether those rails are active or not. My personal preference is that they just quite resurfacing the middle of the street every few years, and showcase the rails as they are! That's a really cool stretch, especially the big curve where the rails turned onto Trumbull. Those bricks have lasted so long on Michigan and are really in good shape, if they'd just spend the money to re-level them in places where they have shifted significantly, no doubt they'd get several more decades of use out of them.

I'm opposed, by the way, to the idea of removing the bricks and putting down "Brick colored and patterned" concrete on this stretch. In my opinion, a poor modern replacement for actual historic pavers. If they're not going to leave the bricks there, just put down highway grade concrete and leave it. On the plus side, one option being considered is that the removed historic pavers will be placed back on current brick streets, or laid in areas which used to have brick back in the day [[though in many places, the brick is probably still under the asphalt in decent condition!)

Still, as I said, my first preference would be for them to keep the brick where it is on Michigan, re-level where necessary. It has a very historic character, and I think it should keep this authenticity.

For all you brick aficionados, how were those old pavers manufactured that they've held up for so many years? Are they still made this way today?

A lot of the pavers came from Southeastern Ohio, and are glazed on the outside. They also seem to be made of a harder, heavier clay. [[A ceramics expert could tell us more).
    Some of the companies that made pavers were: Hocking Valley Block, Athens Block, Nelsonville Block and Logan Block [[all of those are places in Southeastern Ohio).
    Many of the same companies made sewer pipes and roof tiles as well.