Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about a couple buildings

With all this talk about a new joint arena, I was looking online at the possible locations for one. One area I looked at was just north of I-75 off Woodward. I noticed two decent sized abandoned buildings at the corner of Park & Sproat. Does anyone know what they are/were?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1983 View Post
    With all this talk about a new joint arena, I was looking online at the possible locations for one. One area I looked at was just north of I-75 off Woodward. I noticed two decent sized abandoned buildings at the corner of Park & Sproat. Does anyone know what they are/were?

Illitch already has place a 2 million dollar mortgage on those buildings....

They arent goiong anywhere....

Sure, those are some buildings. I believe they used to be hotels. Actually, at one time, there were multistory buildings on all corners. Park and Sproat may be the most disinvested corner in the downtown area at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1983 View Post
    With all this talk about a new joint arena...
    I think the Silverdome just covered that.

I don't think Sean buddy realizes how much we've pummeled this topic.....

DetroitDad Guest

Default Detroit Harbor Light and Hotel Eddystone

I don't care how much anyone's talked about this topic, it's GREAT to see someone new interested in our wonderful city, and it's architecture.

I have the pleasure of walking by these buildings regularly. The faded banner is an ironic touch to the area. From Woodward, the buildings are part of a panorama of abandonment. You also have various vacant houses and warehouses, the vacant Old Cass Tech High School, Americana Hotel/Hotel Fort Wayne, and another large unidentified vacant apartment building at Park and Temple [[Northwest corner).

The pair of buildings you are referring to are, I believe the former Park Avenue Hotel/Hotel Eddystone [[the one most North) and the former Harbor Light Building [[South). The Detroit Hotel Eddystone was actually part of a announced redevelopment project, though some in old threads on DetroitYES have speculated that the whole project was a farce, for one reason or another.

Harbor Light Links:

Hotel Eddystone Links:

Also, here is a link to one of Lowell's DetroitYES.com tours, which does not feature the Hotel Eddystone or Harbor Light, but does feature some of the other vacant buildings in that immediate area, including the unidentified one that I mentioned. There is some references to the new stadium, mainly because some of these buildings were vacated relatively recently.

Thanks DetroitDad, yeah I'm new here, sorry if I brought something up that's been talked about before but I was just curious