Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Abandon Earth or Face Extinction, Stephen Hawking Warns--Again

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ephen-hawking/

The END of TIMES: Do Scientists and Fundamentalists Concur?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/clay-n..._b_671489.html

Scientists plan Nasa mission to land on asteroid on possible collision course with Earth
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz0w9I7amiq

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects Roger Zelazny

I think it's pretty much guaranteed the Earth will end someday -- from the Sun going red giant if not from something else sooner. So it makes sense to plan and work toward an ultimate exit strategy. That's the nature of life anyway, right? To disseminate?

No comment on the other scenarios.

Why should we be permitted to do to another planet what we've done to this one?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Because that's how we roll, goddamit.
    Seriously, though, if all of the shit-heads would rocket away to another planet, I would be content-- happy as a clam, in fact-- to stay on this one and make do with whatever is left of it.
    Irradiated & toxic, you say? That's OK. It's Homo Sapiens that worries me.

Maybe there'll be a situation like in...was it Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?...where there will be TWO 'arks', one for those filled with good intentions and another for the attorneys.

Uncontrolled population growth spurs out of control consumption, pollution, and destruction.
    There's just too damn many of us.

Of course the earth will succumb. Eventually our star, the sun, will grow hotter and larger and then star to cool but still grow to a massive size engulfing earth.

I do believe the next 100 years are crucial to human beings on both an ecological scale and through warfare.

I'm not worried about population increases because in the next 50 years I believe a decrease in population will happen. It is starting to happen in western civilization and it will through the east.

the only thing I ask is that the date of our destruction be known. As in, large celestial body is on collision course for earth and will wipe out all living things on or about December --- of 20--. I don't want some surprise super nova or other unpredicted cataclysmic event. I would hate to be in some pointless meeting or other such thing we waste our lives doing when the end came.

Well, if a way could be found to let only the people know that could handle it peacefully, fine. Problem is, too many people would panic and run amok if it were general knowledge.

There are plenty of people already planning and making themselves ready to survive a cataclysm. See Off the Grid News for one example.

Another bunch of us is still hoping somehow that those in power will make the right choice, for life of the planet, not death. There is still time.

This author agrees with Hawking, we have broken the Earth and created a different kind of planet. Survival depends on us figuring out how to live with our new paradigm.
    Eaarth, Bill McKibben
    http://www.billmckibben.com/eaarth/eaarthbook.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/bo...eenberg-t.html

APR. 3, 1843

Thousands of Millerites patiently waited on hilltops in New England, solemnly expecting the end of the world. Their leader, William Miller [[1782-1849), a farmer and former atheist, had picked this day after carefully studying the Books of Daniel and Revelation. His warnings began in 1831 and were subsequently confirmed by shooting stars in 1833 and the massive comet of 1843. Miller convinced the New York Herald to publish his prediction that the world would be destroyed by fire on Apr. 3. Believing the dead would pass through to heaven first, fanatics murdered relatives and committed suicide. As evening approached, thee was suddenly a loud, eerie sound across the valley. Thousands stood up screaming and praying until it was discovered that the noise was the local village idiot blowing a large horn. Nothing else happened, except that one believer broke his arm trying to fly to heaven, using turkey wings attached to his shoulders. Unperturbed, Miller simply moved the date up to July 7.
    JULY 7, 1843

The true Millerites prepared with their usual thoroughness. Many families bought ascension robes [[sold by Miller) and waited in carefully dug family graves. Nothing happened. Unperturbed, Miller simply moved the date up to Mar. 21, 1844.
    MAR. 21, 1844

Despite the two previous miscalculations, thousands of true believers waited. Not wishing to make coffins, many found it more convenient to sit in graveyards. At the appointed hour a tremendous thunderstorm erupted. The Millerites were jubilant. But the storm soon abated, leaving thousands of disappointed and drenched hopefuls. Unperturbed, Miller simply moved the date up to Oct. 22, 1844.
    OCT. 22, 1844

After whipping themselves into a fanatical frenzy, thousands once more climbed the hilltops to await Armageddon. One farmer thoughtfully brought his cows all dressed in white ascension robes because "It's a very long trip and the kids will want milk." Nothing happened. This time the Millerites were perturbed. The once powerful 100,000-strong movement disbanded and split into several sections, of which the Seventh-Day Adventists became the most numerous. Miller still managed to keep many faithful followers, and he ended his days delivering over 3,200 speeches predicting the end of the world while he amassed a fortune from the sale of his white ascension robes.

According to experts who interpret the measurements of the Great Pyramid of Cheops, the Second Coming and Day of Judgment should have occurred in this year. Back in the 16th century, long-nosed, bug-eyed prophet Mother Shipton [[Ursula Southill) had said, "The World to an end shall come in Eighteen hundred and eighty-one."
    NOV. 13, 1900

In czarist Russia, a district called Kargopol [[about 400 mi. from St. Petersburg) contained a 200-year-old secret sect which called itself the Brothers and Sisters of Red Death. The brothers and sisters shared some very provocative ideas. Although marriages were forbidden, sexual intercourse was permitted providing that the sinners immediately submitted themselves to suffocation with a large red cushion. Every member was obliged to recruit new members, and when he had added 12 followers to the flock and thus assured himself a place in heaven, he was allowed the privilege of committing suicide. Believing the end of the world was to be Nov. 13 [[Nov. 1 Old Style), 862 members of the cult thought it would please God if they all sacrificed their lives by locking themselves in their homes and setting them on fire. When news of the threatened suicides reached St. Petersburg, troops were rushed out to Kargopol, but by the time they arrived, more than 100 members had already perished. The rest were prevented from committing suicide, and when the appointed day passed without catastrophe, the sect disbanded.
    OCTOBER, 1908

Remembering a prediction he had made after coming out of a trance at the age of 12, Lee T. Spangler, owner of a grocery store, said the world would end in fire in October. His followers waited with his chief priestess in Nyack, N. Y.-he had gone back to his wife and business in York, Pa.-but the only event was a light rain on the last day of the month.
    Etc.

http://www.trivia-library.com/armage...orld/index.htm

Stosh Guest

September 15th 2010

An old Detroit adage that "Detroit and the world are safe, so long as the Michigan Central Station stands" brought mass hysteria to Detroit in 2010. On August 9th, people became alarmed by mysterious lights appearing in the 87-year-old train station. Someone suggested the sign had come, and set the day of destruction at September 15 . Thousands besieged the CAY, hoping that the City Council would absolve them from their sins. Despite a sharp rebuke from the office of the Mayor, who also added, "The world will see Thursday and more Thursdays to come," thousands appeared in Campius Martius on September 15th. The Mayor was proved right, and the MCS was left to rot yet again.

Original Story at:http://www.trivia-library.com/b/pred...08-to-1954.htm

my favorite dutch site -

http://www.exitmundi.nl/

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I'm not worried about population increases because in the next 50 years I believe a decrease in population will happen. It is starting to happen in western civilization and it will through the east.
    It's less of a decline, and more of a stasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Maybe there'll be a situation like in...was it Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?...where there will be TWO 'arks', one for those filled with good intentions and another for the attorneys.
    Three arks. That scene appears in the final three parts here: Classic Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Very funny scene! In fact the whole movie fits this thread.

That sounds about right, there ARE probably enough attorneys to fill two.

Straight to the Sun with the lot of 'em. I hope the smell doesn't stink up the Galaxy.

[[thanks, as always, for the correction and clarity...and I caught the posting on the Fun Video thread, as soon as I can get on high speed again I'll watch it!)

Cheers and more on this amazing day.

Mathew 24:35-36 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone." Jesus Christ.

Library of Date Setters of
    The End of the World!!!
    Over 200 predictions and counting!

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm
    I found this site entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Uncontrolled population growth spurs out of control consumption, pollution, and destruction.
    There's just too damn many of us.

The elephant in the room.

Zombie Survival Tips

• Be prepared.
    • Know the route to the nearest superstore, school or shopping mall.
    • Learn how to use a firearm.
    • Find a place to hide.
    • Connect with other survivors.
    • Take out anyone who has been bitten before they turn.
    • Defend yourself to the best of your ability.

Miz, there won't BE any survivors in most possibilities.

Major global technology failure where all "stuff" we think is important like iphones, video games, tv's, atm's, computers, etc... are completely useless. Complete breakdown of electric grids, etc... remember the blackout?

dang, i don't get to use my zombie survial skills????

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Zombie Survival Tips

• Be prepared.
    • Know the route to the nearest superstore, school or shopping mall.
    • Learn how to use a firearm.
    • Find a place to hide.
    • Connect with other survivors.
    • Take out anyone who has been bitten before they turn.
    • Defend yourself to the best of your ability.
    Why would you want to go to a superstore, school, or shopping mall? Those seem like they would be full of zombies, and they have too many entry points to keep track of.

What would happen to Earth?

1. 2012 Mayan Purification Epoch [[ The end of Ka-tun)

2. The Biblical Revelations

3. The Earth will begin to die in 1.5 billion years when its plate tectonics ceased.

4. The Sun will began to die in 10 billion years.

5. Mankind has evolved to energy superbeings that know only good and abolish all things evil and left Earth to live in the universe. Or be destroyed by hostile alien races.

Well, let's see for ourselves.

Ravine Guest

Speak for yourself. I don't think I'm gonna last quite that long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast