Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Spat over Belle Isle parking spot leads to gunfire

Anyone at Belle Isle last night or have any other info about this?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010080...ads-to-gunfire

WXYZ reported that the shooter accidently shot his niece instead of who he was trying to shoot. What an A$$....here is the story.
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/an-argu...-on-belle-isle

Wow a shooting on Belle Isle over a parking spot......wanna see my surprised face?

I don't visit belle isle every week.. or every month, really.. but.. a parking space? seriously? this was during, what, the ribs & soul festival? the island was crowded?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I don't visit belle isle every week.. or every month, really.. but.. a parking space? seriously? this was during, what, the ribs & soul festival? the island was crowded?
    Granted that may have began an argument I can almost gaurantee that it was something else that escalated the situation not that it makes it better or worse....

Charge a toll & this never happens...

Quote Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit View Post
    Agreed.....it will probably still happen just not the extent that it is now....

PROPER +1 I agree 100 percent

Banning cars would eliminate fights over parking spaces.

Just sayin'...

Well, at least this shooting was over something.

That was a poor attempt at sarcasm, and also slightly shows my disgust with this city and why I think it will never come back from the shit hole it for the most part, is.

And people wonder why some are in favor of stricter gun laws.

The past few months in Detroit just further support that stance. Some people simply don't know how to use one and if they do know how to use it they don't know WHEN to use it.

This has nothing to do with gun laws. What an ignorant statement.

Certainly doesn't mention whether or not the guy was liscensed to carry a gun or not. So, my guess is he wasn't, didn't have any training, and shot an innocent bystander because he was an ass.

Kind of like those who comment about things that have no business inputting anything if they don't know the facts.

Just to let you know, proper training is everything, and most of the shootings [[except the recent road rage incident in Farmington) have been committed by those who a.) didn't have a CCW and b.) shouldn't have possession of a butter knife, let alone a gun.

Painting everyone who carrys weapons LEGALLY with a broad brush, heh? Typical.

Just my .02.

Res

It doesn't matter if you're trained to have a gun, put emotion and anger into the equation b[[and no doubt a lot of beer), and you have a recipe for disaster.

Guns are a great way to resolve conflicts.

It DOES matter, pffft, as training gives you the law up front, which at least makes you contemplate pulling your weapon and using it in such ridiculous situations. If the dude knew that what he was doing was going to put him in the clink because it wasn't justified, perhaps he wouldn't have done it in the first place. Training [[knowledge of the law) gives at least a bit of heads-up.

I guess we will find out the truth when the WHOLE story comes out.

Carrying a weapon is an awesome responsibilty, not something to be trifiled with. Apparently, these folks don't have the sense they were born with, and, therefore, shouldn't be allowed to roam among the public anyway. They should be locked-up, "indoctrinated" into the ways that sane people deal with disagreements, and then, maybe, released back into the public realm.

The problem is that people allow stupid shit like this to escalate all the time. These outside factors are just an excuse to tolerate abhorrent behavior, and it's time that people need to be re-educated.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're trained to have a gun, put emotion and anger into the equation b[[and no doubt a lot of beer), and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Any true law-abiding gun carrying citizen would never mix beer into the equation. As for putting emotion and anger into the equation, would that mean every time there is a road rage incident, we should ban cars, or place more rules into effect, maybe make it a law that you should always have both hands on the wheel, making it impossible to give another driver the "you're number one" salute? Emotion and anger is something that the average person should be able to control on their own. If the guy didn't have a gun, he would have found another way to try and inflict bodily harm on the other person.

Shooting someone is a lot easier then stabbing them or punching them in the face plus it's more impersonal. It's the great equalizer when going against someone bigger, more athletic or maybe smarter.
    Not everyone who carries a gun is law abiding, sober or a second amendment adherent.Guns do kill people and are not to be played around with.
    Smug, self righteous gun owners should be aware that just because you have a gun doesn't mean you are necessarily safe. Bullets don't recognize good guys from bad guys and girls.

Hey, I'd looove to know when a shooting of a civilian by a civilian is "justified," other than when someone is breaking into your house.

Do tell.
    Last edited by pffft; August-10-10 at 09:27 AM. Reason: clarity

Emotion and anger is something that the average person should be able to control on their own.

Hahaha...Unfortunately there are plenty of non-average people out there, and nobody is keeping them from packing guns. Look at the guy who wants to pack a gun at Arts Beats & Eats in Royal Oak. So if my 12-year-old is goofing around and runs into him, splaying mustard all over his shirt and knocking his kid over, I should have to worry about Wyatt Earp pulling his gun out of the holster and making like Gunfight at the O.K. Corral?

Emotion and anger is something that the average person should be able to control on their own.

Hahaha...Unfortunately there are plenty of non-average people out there, and nobody is keeping them from packing guns. Look at the guy who wants to pack a gun at Arts Beats & Eats in Royal Oak. So if my 12-year-old is goofing around and runs into him, splaying mustard all over his shirt and knocking his kid over, I should have to worry about Wyatt Earp pulling his gun out of the holster and making like Gunfight at the O.K. Corral?
    control your kid and you won't have that problem

The law clearly states that you have a right to defend yourself if you feel that your life is being threatened. It is one of the first things you are taught in CCW classes, and, I believe it is a right granted to you in the Constitution. Those are also the "magic words" to deter your arrest after having shot someone in self defence. Again, it is the mantra that is driven into your head when you take the classes, and when you apply practice to that theory.

Remember, too, that juries that decide your guilt in such matters are human, too, so if you are articulate and honest enough to explain that in a logical way to them, your chances of being found not guilty are more than good. Believe it or not, there are situations where people ARE justified in protecting themselves, even if YOU don't like the fact that they can do so. The majority has spoken, and I make no apologies for those that think their minority opinion trumps those in the majority.

I will say this, though. The recent spate of gun crimes is being committed by those who are illegally in possession of weapons, not those who have been through training of any sort. I have had a CCW for over twenty five years, and have only cleared leather with my weapon on less than a dozen occassions, fearing DIRECTLY for my life, or the lives of those that I am with. Even though I have carried many different places throughout the SE Michigan region, I have managed to restrain myself, even in moments of extreme emotional turmoil, to those specific instances, as most other situations can be avoided by rational, methodical application of logic, not emotion.

Hope I was a bit more clear this time around.

Res

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    The law clearly states that you have a right to defend yourself if you feel that your life is being threatened. It is one of the first things you are taught in CCW classes, and, I believe it is a right granted to you in the Constitution. Those are also the "magic words" to deter your arrest after having shot someone in self defence. Again, it is the mantra that is driven into your head when you take the classes, and when you apply practice to that theory.

Remember, too, that juries that decide your guilt in such matters are human, too, so if you are articulate and honest enough to explain that in a logical way to them, your chances of being found not guilty are more than good. Believe it or not, there are situations where people ARE justified in protecting themselves, even if YOU don't like the fact that they can do so. The majority has spoken, and I make no apologies for those that think their minority opinion trumps those in the majority.

I will say this, though. The recent spate of gun crimes is being committed by those who are illegally in possession of weapons, not those who have been through training of any sort. I have had a CCW for over twenty five years, and have only cleared leather with my weapon on less than a dozen occassions, fearing DIRECTLY for my life, or the lives of those that I am with. Even though I have carried many different places throughout the SE Michigan region, I have managed to restrain myself, even in moments of extreme emotional turmoil, to those specific instances, as most other situations can be avoided by rational, methodical application of logic, not emotion.

Hope I was a bit more clear this time around.

Res
    I'm curious about where you or your family spends its time that you've "cleared leather" more times in 20 years than a lot of cops do.

Seriously, if you feel you need to be armed to go somewhere, perhaps its a place worth avoiding?

pfft-

Your post in regard to Arts, Beats and Eats takes it to the extreme a bit, doesn't it? Can you provide us with any examples to back your theory, or is that simply a flippant way of retorting without some facts? I have never even remotely heard of the scenario you are suggesting occuring over such a trival matter as being jostled by someone in a crowd.

Tha being said, I have to wonder if their desire to carry so blatantly in such a non-threating environment as A,B & E is a wise move on the gun right advocates part. I'm also wondring if they are grandstanding an issue in a place where things could go so horribly wrong. My main concern is for the innocents that would be harmed should the bad guys decide to make a point.

Why force an issue so? There are better venues to get your point across other than an event that is almost guaranteed to have more merry makers than thugs.

Hope this makes sense.

Res

Sigh....one of the first things taught in CPL class is that if you plan on drinking, leave your weapon off your person. All of my friends who carry simply dont bring their weapons with them if they know they will be drinking.

Hey, I'd looove to know when a shooting of a civilian by a civilian is "justified," other than when someone is breaking into your house.

Do tell.
    Actually, if another perons is in immeidate danger to the point where they will be killed or severely injured, a person carrying a pistol has the right to defend. That being said, usually the best course of action is to call the police rather than pull your weapon [[They teach you that in CPL class too, maybe you should take one?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast