Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Michigander vs. Michiganian

http://www.freep.com/article/2010080...-a-Michigander

What's your preference? Seeing as Michigander was popularized by Abe Lincoln, albeit in a derisive usage, I prefer it to the more commonplace sounding Michiganian.

The Freep and the News are on opposite sides of the coin, which apparently is dictated by their style books. Freep writers use Michigander while News writers use Michiganian. When I was reading a News article about Rick Snyder's victory in the Republican Primary for Governor, I noticed that he used Michiganian, but the above article says he used Michigander. Should the News "correct" people's terminology?

black tag people. The term Texans used to describe Michigan refugees in the early 80s.

Michigander implies carnal knowledge of winged wildlife.

Michiganian implies ethnic roots in Armenia.
    Last edited by eno; August-09-10 at 12:39 PM.

While I think Michigander sounds like some sort of male goose native to the state, I'm good with either. It beats being called an Ohioan by a long shot

jcole, I've always had the same reaction to Michigander! Michiganian sounds better IMO.

I remember in school in the late 70s early 80s, there was an effort to convince us that it was more proper to say Michiganian. But Michigander seems to be growing in currency. I vaguely remember the tale about Lincoln. I am fine with either, although I like saving a syllable with Michigander.

I like the quirkiness of Michigander. If I recall correctly, the Free Press conducted a reader survey and it came out in favor of Michigander by a long shot, so they changed their style book. It was a good while ago, 80s maybe.

I have always referred to myself as a Michiganian just like I refer to myself as a Californian.

Taking a label that was originally used as a derogatory insult is pretty commonplace. Hoosiers = hoozer = hillbilly, brought over from England. Or how about the Cheeseheads, originally an insult flung by Illinois fan to Wisconsin fans, now they wear foam cheese on their heads. I'm all for Michigander.

This Nevadan votes for "Michiganian", awkward as it is.

Michigander hands down. Michiganian is too cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Michigander hands down. Michiganian is too cliche.
    Michigander was always too "goosey" for me.

I've never heard "Michiganian" before this thread. I hate it. Gotta go with Michigander.

I say use both. "Michiganian" for more somber occasions and "Michigander" to showcase that Midwestern whimsy.

LOL! My spell checker recognizes "Michigander" but suggests replacing "Michiganian" with "Michiganite."

My vote is for Michigander.....and love my state no matter what they call me.

Just don't call me an Oregonian. Out here in the land of the Washingtonian's them's fightin' words.

I'm a Michigander, and an Eastern Michigan University Huron. I was born a Michigander, am one now, and will die a Michigander.

And this is the main, front page story today in the Freep?

Pingu Guest

Michigander, otherwise I peel a dozen stickers off my car and it collapses into a dusty pile of rust chips.

Stosh Guest

I dislike either one. let's try out a few.

A lot of people [[maybe even me) are Michigoofballs.
    Supporter of Virg? You may be Michigangry.
    Or perhaps Rick? Maybe Michiganerdy?

Michiganite? Michiganzer? Michiganter? Michigantist?

or, if we love the state so much, perhaps Michiphiles?
    Last edited by Stosh; August-09-10 at 02:09 PM.

Michigander sounds folksy and 19th century-ish. Michiganian sounds more modern.

Michigonzonian?

Stosh Guest

Maybe just a M-ite? Keep it simple?

Michite?

This Californicator likes Michigoon.

Pingu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by graynoodle View Post
    This Californicator likes Michigoon.
    Peppers > "I've got a bad disease" > Michigonorrhea?

Michi-goners?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Michigander sounds folksy and 19th century-ish. Michiganian sounds more modern.
    Modern? Michigander is unique and it's tradition.

I was also told that a "Michiganian" is someone who graduated from UofM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast