Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lelli's, Mario's Founder Dies

Founder of two Detroit Institutions
    dies:http://detnews.com/article/20100808/BIZ/8080321

I used to love Lelli's, but stopped going there when they moved their operations to Auburn Hills.

I know, I know, they were still open in the New Center, but there was a convenient fire when they were "closed" for remodeling, and the building was subsequently torn down. It remains an empty lot to this day.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; August-08-10 at 11:26 PM.

I never knew he started Lelli's and very sorry to see he has died. What a great resteraunt he had. Its a shame he is not getting a better tribute from our dyes group..

Always went to Lelli's before the Fisher and of course other evenings as well.

Learned to make caesar dressing from a waiter named Johnny at Mario's during the 60's.

The man will be missed. I suddenly want to go to Mario's and have some delicious pasta.

This is sad to hear, but the man lived a long life.

I frequented Marios for years starting in the late 60's, in the early 70's I married into a local old country Italian family, nearly all our special celebrations were held at Marios.

He was a watchful bear in the dining room as the article said. One time he was just ripping a busboy to shreds in Italian. My wife spoke Italian and was listening to what he said. Afterwards she leaned over to me and smiled...."The busboy let a water glass get to half full." lol

Article said he bought the Golden Eagle in Rochester, I thought his son owned and ran that place. But the old man was on patrol there too. He was quieter out there, never saw him harangue anyone. I used to get the feel he had a hard time watching service that went at a different pace than what went at Marios.

RIP