Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Proposed renovation on Michigan and 23rd

It anyone fimilar with the proposed apartment renovation of a four storly building on the south side of Michigan near 23rd street? I believe it is call the Crossfield Apartments. It would be great to see this unique vacant building back to use.
    Also, there is a 2 stroy bulding on East Jefferson [[near the Belle Isle Bridge next to the Churches Chicken) that has a new facade, does anyone know it planned use?

Also saw the sign...it is a great building. It would certainly bring a bit of life back to a bleak stretch of Michigan Ave.

Yes, I saw this too on my way to work today, someone bought the Crossfield and the bank directly across the street. Right behind them is the 23rd Street Studios [[a small independent film studio complex). Awesome stuff. This is a very cool part of Michigan Ave but unfortunately it has seen better days. Really looking forward to seeing some new life brought to this district.

Argue with me if you want, but I've always thought the Grosfield building right there at the corner of 23rd is the prettiest Italianate style commercial structure along Michigan Avenue in the city. I'm really excited to see this project move forward....I thought I noticed last week that some of the window covers on the upper floors have gone missing....hopefully a good sign! This little stretch of Michigan Avenue is really dead and cut off, between I-75 to the east and the CP-Vinewood/West Detroit Junction rail lines on the embankments to the west. I'm not sure what the best way would be to tie it in to some of the surrounding neiughborhoods that have more vitality...especially Mexicantown on the south side of the Michigan Central.

On a sad note, anyone notice the large commercial building on Michigan just east of Martin which was torched last month and much of which collapsed? It's wide open, too...

Yes, Michigan Ave between Grand Boulevard & I-96 could be a hopping little district, if rehabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Argue with me if you want, but I've always thought the Grosfield building right there at the corner of 23rd is the prettiest Italianate style commercial structure along Michigan Avenue in the city. I'm really excited to see this project move forward....I thought I noticed last week that some of the window covers on the upper floors have gone missing....hopefully a good sign! This little stretch of Michigan Avenue is really dead and cut off, between I-75 to the east and the CP-Vinewood/West Detroit Junction rail lines on the embankments to the west. I'm not sure what the best way would be to tie it in to some of the surrounding neiughborhoods that have more vitality...especially Mexicantown on the south side of the Michigan Central.

On a sad note, anyone notice the large commercial building on Michigan just east of Martin which was torched last month and much of which collapsed? It's wide open, too...
    Is this the building you are referring to? It's a beauty!

bartock Guest

[quote=leady106;171127]It anyone fimilar with the proposed apartment renovation of a four storly building on the south side of Michigan near 23rd street? I believe it is call the Crossfield Apartments. It would be great to see this unique vacant building back to use.
    Also, there is a 2 stroy bulding on East Jefferson [[near the Belle Isle Bridge next to the Churches Chicken) that has a new facade, does anyone know it planned use?[/quote]

No, but I noticed that as well. It looks like as part of the new facade there are two addresses carved into the stone. They were at it last fall, I am curious as to what it could become.

Back in the mid 80's someone operated a blindpig on the 2nd floor. I remember it being a large open space, painted board of ed green Only ran a few weekends before someone got robbed and stabbed down the street walking to the door and the crowd stopped coming. Frequented by restaurant people who wanted to drink after their bars closed. I have been surprised the building survived looking as good as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Back in the mid 80's someone operated a blindpig on the 2nd floor. I remember it being a large open space, painted board of ed green Only ran a few weekends before someone got robbed and stabbed down the street walking to the door and the crowd stopped coming. Frequented by restaurant people who wanted to drink after their bars closed. I have been surprised the building survived looking as good as it is.
    Wow, a great perspective into the Detroit of the near-past. I am really happy about this recent project, and I am happy to see some real work there, they have the windows out & are prepping the floors.

My work is right on that stretch of MI ave, and I can't emphasize enough to you all how much the do-it-yourself carwash and the abandoned fire house across the steet [[at night) look like scenes out of a Saw flick.

I am often talking to NPO's and planners about how that corridor is ripe for redevelopment, reconnecting the business corridor, but I always hear the same crap: so is Cass Corridor, so is Brush Park, so is the Riverfront, the housing market sucks, blah,blah, blah....

I just did a google search and came up with this....the last sentance says the project was cancelled, but with the recent work actually seen, maybe it's restarted?

http://www.eccodesigngroup.com/portf...ield-building/

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Is this the building you are referring to? It's a beauty!
    If that's the building in question, it's not Italianate, but more Romanesque in execution. 1880s-1890s, probably.

I'll give you some Romanesque with the arches in the brick and the corner tower, but the cornice and window hoods still hold over from the Italianate era. Beautiful building regardless!

I'm pretty suprised about this. It's certainly not in the best of area. But I'm still excited, what a great building!

I read the Ecco Design Group blurb. If that's what's planned, where the hell did they get financing? All kinds of sensible projects with locked-down business cases are getting a cold shoulder these days, a loft/retail spec project on that part of Michigan is going forward? Color me skeptical.

And if it does go forth, color me double skeptical on selling the lofts to end buyers, renting out the retail space, and not having evictions/foreclosures/abandonment in a couple years.

HAHA...HEY ZACK! Someone yelled at me when I tried to get into the building about two weeks ago! HAHA...at least they are watching it, or someone was watching it...or that person was yelling at someone else because I couldn't see the person that yelled...I wasn't taking any chances tho!

Man, I do LOVE that building...a true Victorian, no fake. From the R.K. Polk Directory, 1928-29 for that stretch of Michigan Ave.:

From the 1895 directory:
    Attachment 7220

There is a new sign up on the side of the building. Anyone know if the project is back on?

What does the sign say?

Stromberg2

Coming Soon...
    Crossfield Apartments

will the cone be kept? what was the original purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Coming Soon...
    Crossfield Apartments
    Sorry, but I think that is the same sign that has always been there!

Maybe the fact a security detail is close at the rear end of the project near the gate of the film studios
    prompted the owners to do a rehab. Anyhow, it is nice to see investors appreciating older buildings in lieu of tearing down and doing infill. There is a whole lot of bricks holding that and other beauties nearby. 3 rows of bricks most probably.

Sign has been up since before the start of this thread...sadly it appears the project is going nowhere...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast