Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Icecream man steals bicycle??

Just picked that up on a Dutch[[!!) news site. A Detroit icecreamvan driver stole a child's bike.
    The Dutch link.

Their source.

Dispicable act! He should lose his licence!

I'm sorry but I don't believe this story one little bit. The kid probably lost his bike and made up the theft story to cover his ass. I hope I'm wrong but I sincerely doubt it.

I have lots of questions, since the logistics in the story seem improbable. It's pretty hard to hide an ice cream truck.

Maybe you're right. I think my hoax-alarm is bust.

Always around to annoy with their repeating insanity-inducing melodies...unless you actually NEED them.

They are a perfect way to patrol the neighborhoods...we should have a Detroit Police outreach selling ice cream to the kids. Increase Public Relations a bit, have reliable eyeballs on the street...and they can nab their bike-thieving competition!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't believe this story one little bit. The kid probably lost his bike and made up the theft story to cover his ass. I hope I'm wrong but I sincerely doubt it.
    LOL, pretty original then! I never thought of that one when I was little!

The kid rode his bicycle, with friends, up to the ice cream truck. He was on the other side of it away from his friends and neighbors when the guys took his bike. They sped away, and there he stood, bike-less. He was distraught.

No, he didn't make it up.

Full circle: When I was a child, a local ice cream truck owner displayed a bicycle on the top of the truck. If you purchased product with a star on the stick, you qualified to enter a raffle for the bike. A kid on our block won.
    The ice cream driver's competition reminded us often that "the first guy who did that worked for Al Capone"!

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    The kid rode his bicycle, with friends, up to the ice cream truck. He was on the other side of it away from his friends and neighbors when the guys took his bike. They sped away, and there he stood, bike-less. He was distraught.

No, he didn't make it up.
    Says you. I need video surveillance cameras to prove it. Oh wait....you don't have those.

That scenario is possible, but how does it implicate the ice cream truck guy?

Hey, look at the bright side...the ice cream guy wasn't selling drugs and no one was killed.

Update:

DETROIT -- Two days after a 9-year-old's bike was stolen by an ice cream man on Detroit's Northwest side, police say they believe they have a suspect in custody.The ice cream truck robbery happened on Parkside Street between West McNichols Road and Grove Street on Detroit’s Northwest side.Zach Long, 9, and his 12-year-old brother, Emmett, saw the ice cream truck coming Friday afternoon and raced toward the truck on their bikes to get a frosty treat."My brother went to buy an ice cream and he was going to get me a popsicle,” Zach said.Zach got off his bike and went to the truck to make his selection.“I saw him out of the corner of my eye, and I couldn’t see him because the ice cream truck was in the way. I saw him when he got past the ice cream truck. I couldn’t believe he stole a bike," Emmett said.The boys quickly went home and told their father about the theft.Their father, Emmett Long Sr., went running after the truck but it was too late.A 19-year-old driver, believed to be connected to the theft of Zach Long’s bike, was arrested Sunday morning at the Pot O’ Gold’s office on Mount Elliot Road on Detroit’s East Side.Zach Long told police that the ice cream man responsible for the theft was driving a Pot O’ Gold ice cream truck.Pot O’ Gold owner Greg Weir told Local 4 that he rounded up all of his drivers early Sunday morning and interviewed them. Weir said the driver who was arrested picked up a friend on his route Friday, and the friend may have committed the crime.“Of the eight, one of the gentlemen employed at Pot O’Gold admitted to be indirectly involved in the theft of the bicycle,” Weir said.The owner said through questioning his staff, he figured out who stole the bike.“All the trucks have GPS units, we knew he was in Northwest Detroit and in this area,” Weir said.Zach's parents and his sister were nice enough to pool their personal shopping money to get him a new set of wheels.“My friend told me to get the same one so I could remember the other one they stole,” Zach said.The bike that was stolen was given to Zach by his grandparents two months ago.Weir wanted to make up for the Long family's loss.Weir presented the family with $1,000 to repay the family.Zach’s older sister, Lauren Long, gave some of her college money to fund a new bike.The $1,000 dollars will be used by Lauren when she goes to college at Alcorn State University in Mississippi to study nursing.Zach was also given free ice cream by Pot O' Gold.The cost of the bike was $169.Charges for the suspected driver and his alleged friend have yet to be released.

Wow... thanks for the update. I stand corrected! ;-)

I am happy with the facts. I can see it working if there were two people in the truck. One could ride off on the bike just fine.

Wolverine weaseled out of here, I see

Why would I weasel out? My point had nothing to do with whether or not a bike was stolen by the ice cream man.

It has more to do with people debating an issue without facts. Meanwhile when threads come up about video surveillance, people throw their hands in the air and call it a ridiculous idea. But, as you see here, a different kind of technology solved the crime. Point is, we need to use technology to solve crime.

The facts as given here were reported by at least two media outlets. The boy's brother saw what happened, and the child returned from the truck with no bicycle. It doesn't take a Sherlock to finger the ice cream man [[and/or his accomplice).

Great. Let's just hope it's that easy next time around right?

Amazing to me is how easily some asshole with a beat-up-piece-of-shit van can get a license to sell ice-cream around here. And don't get caught behind one of those little run down yellow "Pars" ice cream trucks on the freeway either.

The story has a happy ending. The desperado who stole the bike is in police custody. The good guys wins and the bad guys go to jail.

Weir presented the family with $1,000 to repay the family.Zach’s older sister, Lauren Long, gave some of her college money to fund a new bike.The $1,000 dollars will be used by Lauren when she goes to college at Alcorn State University in Mississippi to study nursing
    I saw the story on the news, with the owner of the Ice Cream company handing the family $1000.

The news showed the kid riding his new bicycle, which was probably an $80 Walmart special. So the kids sister bought the bike, why does she get to keep the $1000 to put towards her college?

Seriously, this is screwed up. Its the little kid who was a victim, he should be the one being rewarded, NOT the sister.

The right thing to do would NOT to give the sister $1000, but rather re-imburse the sister the $50 or $80 she paid for the bike at Walmart to make her whole.

As for the kid who got his bike ripped off, the owner of the Ice Cream company should have either given the kid a savings bond for $1000 in his name, or should have spent $500 and bought this kid one of the best bicycles available at the bicycle store.

The kid got a new bike last week, which is the one that got stolen and it was replaced with a new bike this week. As far as im concerned the kid is the victim here and he got nothing out of it. I don't care if the sister uses the money for college or not, she is entitled to what it costs to replace the bike and thats it!

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I saw the story on the news, with the owner of the Ice Cream company handing the family $1000.

The news showed the kid riding his new bicycle, which was probably an $80 Walmart special. So the kids sister bought the bike, why does she get to keep the $1000 to put towards her college?

Seriously, this is screwed up. Its the little kid who was a victim, he should be the one being rewarded, NOT the sister.

The right thing to do would NOT to give the sister $1000, but rather re-imburse the sister the $50 or $80 she paid for the bike at Walmart to make her whole.

As for the kid who got his bike ripped off, the owner of the Ice Cream company should have either given the kid a savings bond for $1000 in his name, or should have spent $500 and bought this kid one of the best bicycles available at the bicycle store.

The kid got a new bike last week, which is the one that got stolen and it was replaced with a new bike this week. As far as im concerned the kid is the victim here and he got nothing out of it. I don't care if the sister uses the money for college or not, she is entitled to what it costs to replace the bike and thats it!
    Wow, you are quite passionate about this. I suppose if Weir was giving away your money to the sister I could understand you being disturbed about it but since you don't have to fork over a dime why are you ranting? Who's to say that Weir intended to give the parents the money but since they know that their daughter is going to college in fall then she could use that money more.

Still lots of 'I don't care about Detroit' people living in Detroit, suburbs and ex-urbs. It's up to the Detroiters to stop these tramps and thieves.

That is kind of "off" that the sister kinda hits the jackpot in this. The little boy should have gotten the new bike and the money for his own college - imagine how much interest that could earn over the next 8 years.

It could have been the family's decision to put the money toward the most immediate need.