Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Google StreetView Oddities Non-Detroit

I was checking out buildings I worked in years ago and found this charming hobo couple sitting on the sidewalk leaning on a wall. Heads are surface firehydrants and bodies are garbage bags. St-Paul street Old Montreal.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...236.37,,0,4.45
    Last edited by canuck; August-07-10 at 08:27 PM.

Rio de Janeiro takes the cake!
    This scene is already deleted from the database. And it is evident why that was done...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I was checking out buildings I worked in years ago and found this charming hobo couple sitting on the sidewalk leaning on a wall. Heads are surface firehydrants and bodies are garbage bags. St-Paul street Old Montreal.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...236.37,,0,4.45
    Besides the hobos Montreal really is a beautiful city isn't it? Love those narrow cobblestone streets...

Thanks blackmath, that's a part of Montreal where some of the buildings date back to 1684; St-Sulpice seminary.
    Old Montreal has a mix of building styles that span periods from french to english colonial and great buildings from the nineteenth century. There is a museum of Montreal archaeology Pointe-à-Callière Museum that exhibits artefacts from the various sites excavated whenever someone builds or restores buildings in the area. Old Montreal was grimy and much maligned up until maybe thirty-five years ago. Behind city hall is the Champ-de Mars which is the french equivalent to Detroit's Campus Martius. But you will notice that it is an empty field because it was a military parade grounds.

I've been thinking about moving there after I'm finished university. I've always been fascinated with that city.

Whenever you're ready to check it out, email me via the contact in my canuck profile page. I'll be glad to help.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that

The Pittsburgh tour was cool Jimaz. I like these old streets, there is a lot of charm in old industrial cities that we need look out for. There is a video by Arcade Fire from their latest album The Suburbs that uses Google Street view as a way to involve the viewer as part of the story. You type in the address of the house you grew up in and it takes you on a ride down your street.

I second that canuck, a really interesting and original concept for a video from a great Montreal band...

http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Link to the video in question if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Whitehouse; October-08-10 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The Pittsburgh tour was cool Jimaz. I like these old streets, there is a lot of charm in old industrial cities that we need look out for. There is a video by Arcade Fire from their latest album The Suburbs that uses Google Street view as a way to involve the viewer as part of the story. You type in the address of the house you grew up in and it takes you on a ride down your street.
    Thanks. I found some related videos but do you have a specific link to this interactive thing?

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

Link to the video in question if anyone is interested.
    ^^Right there Jimaz

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    ^^Right there Jimaz
    Doh! [[Smacks forehead)

In case it's news to anyone, GoogleSightseeing.com is dedicated to the subject of this thread.

This Rare 3D View of the Top of Mackinac Bridge Using Google Maps Street View is Mind-Blowing!
    Google Maps Street View....

Other Michigan destinations available on Google Street View are: Mackinac Island, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, the Island Loop Route National Water Trail in St. Clair County, the State Capitol building in Lansing, Ford Field, the Detroit Riverwalk, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Wagner Falls, Bond Falls, Silver Lake State Park and Sand Dunes, Palms Brook State Park, Brighton State Recreation Area, Pinckney State Recreation Area, Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, Ocqueoc Falls in Millersburg, Agate Falls in Trout Creek and the Presque Isle River....
    Hmm. There's a conspicuous absence of antennas up there.

I have a friend who has been up there, wow! What a view. I wondered how he got up there, envisioned a ladder, which does not really make sense, I guess. It made me dizzy just looking at the picture.

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs did an episode on painting the inside of that bridge. Here's a 6-minute segment: Dirty Jobs - Bridge Maintainer.