Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Redwings

Default 2010 Redwings

Welcome, Mike Modano

Welcome back Chris Chelios.

Rather than welcoming players here, I'd prefer to welcome Lord Stanley back to Detroit for an extended stay if we could.

I agree smogboy, but with an average age inching past 30 [[and many regulars long past that), I have serious doubts about their ability to keep up with the speed of other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I agree smogboy, but with an average age inching past 30 [[and many regulars long past that), I have serious doubts about their ability to keep up with the speed of other teams.
    Welcome Darren Helm.

Any thoughts on the signing of Kirk Maltby to a one year deal?

Great agitator back in the day and a pretty nimble guy who could put the occasional puck in the back of the net but definitely on the decline of his career. Does anyone think he'll make the Wings team or is he destined to play his last hockey as a Griffin?

I think it's good for the team, but I doubt he will play with the Wings.[[ unless alot of injuries prevail )
    He will be a good role model for youngsters at the Griffin level.

It's amusing to me to read the comments suggesting that they're 'too old'. Seems to me they've managed to do quite well in spite of having been 'too old' for at least the last ten years, because I know I've been hearing that said every single off-season for at least that long now.

You're right, but the game has speeded up over the last decade. For the first time in a very long time, the Wings looked slow against the Coyotes and the Sharks. Their passing wasn't nearly as crisp as the Yzerman and Shanahan days. Lidstrom got beat more than I've ever seen happen. I'm impressed by Helm and amazed that Draper has retained his speed.

I hope I'm wrong about the Wings' age as many prognosticators have been in the past, but I'm seeing a lot of team speed and youth on other teams [[like the Black Hawks average age at 25-26).

Kenny Holland has always managed have a good team mixed with veterans and younger players . I remember not long ago the Wings were accused of buying Stanley Cups and then came the collective bargaining agreement [[CBA) and the salary cap . I guess we proved those people wrong now didn't we . We had an unbelieveable amount of injuries last season , many long term injuries and our youngsters [[with a few veterans) did a fine job of keeping us in the race for a playoff spot . Enter the Olympic break and the following race to the playoffs after the Games and we played outstanding hockey getting back the injured one at a time . I think the injuries upset the balance of the team yet we still hung in there , other teams wish they had our problems . The Hawks still have some very good players on their team , but with them dumping 7-8 players to get under the salary cap , I don't look for them to repeat .

I think we are going to have a good year. With all the injuries last year and the fact we had a longer off season the guys should be energized. Usually we dont have much of an off season.
    Everyone seems pumped that Hudler is back, I am not as thrilled.
    As far as Maltby is concerned, I dont see him playing in GR.
    Bottom line is this, we are talented and hungry.

They seem to be too old, but I have learned not to second guess Holland and the others.
    As always, injuries [[or lack of them) will be huge.

This is the longest summer they've had in many years. Hopefully the extra rest will be beneficial. The addition of Ruslan Selei is big for the defense. Can't wait for the playoffs.

Default Red wings adjust weekday start times for 2010

Detroit, MI… The Detroit Red Wings today announced that weekday start times will be moved to 7:30 pm, creating a consistent start for Wings’ games throughout the 2010-11 season and continuing the traditional start time for weekday Wings’ games at Joe Louis Arena. http://www.inplaymagazine.com/index.php

While there are many reasonable concerns aired here in this thread, I still am expecting good seasons from the Dat/Z reconnect. I'm even more excited to see if Franzen can possibly have that break away year I've been anxiously awaiting for 3 years now. I could see 45+ goals coming from the Mule. Sprinkle in a little MikeMo and Hudler action, and fierce play from our 5+ fourth liners - We're looking at one of the most stacked offenses in the league.

I can see the age thing happening/happened on D though. Neither Salei or Ericsson [[shhh) have done anything for the refurbishment of our aging D lines. But expect solid play from your boy Nick and friends. They are by no way the worst 3 pairings in the league.

Best prospect we have is Howard. Could he be the next ace in the hole? It would be great to have that token Kick-Ass goalie for once. We've always had mediocre players who step up at unpredictable times. C'mon Jimmy - be the man.

Finally, after a spectacular 2010 Playoffs last year, I am excited about the NHL in general. Incredible story lines last year between the Hossa saga, the Flyers Cinderella story [[including the 3-0 deficit accomplishment), and the wicked run by the Habs with that Halak guy they didn't want anymore. Fan base is returning for reasons everywhere. Look no futher that Tampa Bay and the re-engineering of that club [[plus they took Stevie - bastards!). BTW - That's my dark horse team this year. I also like Toronto and the Isle, if I had to pick underperforming teams who might do well this year.

The "experts" are also liking Detroit in the West. Although it's nothing really that new, I still think a lot of these clowns have weighted in the age/injury dilemmas and still think the Wings have a really good shot. Let's Go Wed Wings!

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Best prospect we have is Howard. Could he be the next ace in the hole? It would be great to have that token Kick-Ass goalie for once. We've always had mediocre players who step up at unpredictable times. C'mon Jimmy - be the man.
    I just dont think he is the long term answer, just not impressed. Hope I am wrong.

Seeing Datsyuk duking it out with Corey Perry was amazing the first night and then seeing some of the moves he made against the Hawks was a thing of beauty too.

As much as I marveled at the likes of Barry Sanders in the Lions backfield, I'd have to say that Pavel is by far the most dazzling player we've had in Detroit sports in a long LONG time. He's literally one of the few players I can think of in sports [[not just Detroit sports) that can pull you up out of your chair to see what he's going to do once he's open. There are players and then there are people so skilled and adept at their game, it's unreal.

2-0 so far. I'm liking the way the season's started.

Default Red wings sign mike babcock to four-year extension

New Deal To Keep Head Coach Behind Detroit’s Bench Through 2014-15 Season

Through his first seven seasons as an NHL head coach, Babcock’s teams have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final three times and the Conference Finals four times. http://www.inplaymagazine.com/blogs....roit-Red-Wings

Quote Originally Posted by In Play Magazine View Post
    New Deal To Keep Head Coach Behind Detroit’s Bench Through 2014-15 Season

Through his first seven seasons as an NHL head coach, Babcock’s teams have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final three times and the Conference Finals four times. http://www.inplaymagazine.com/blogs....roit-Red-Wings
    Since the power play is only 1 for 10 at this point, perhaps the contract extension is a bit premature. lol

Modano and Hudler are both a -6. I know its still early but the line of Modano Cleary Hudler is underperforming. Time to breakup this line?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Modano and Hudler are both a -6. I know its still early but the line of Modano Cleary Hudler is underperforming. Time to breakup this line?
    And move who to where? This is the third line. I would tinker with them too much yet. I'd give them a little more time to figure things out. After all, adding a piece like Modano and expecting him to fit in instantaneously would be a blessing. Technically Hudler hasn't been around for a bit either so meshing them with Cleary just might take a little bit more time to get used to one another. I'd have some patience for now; heck- they've only played 7 games into an 82 game season!

I tend to agree with you, however, maybe move someone up from the 4th line. You can't mess with the top two lines. They're lack of scoring doesn't concern me but the way they are giving up goals does. Modano and Hudler were never much for defense, so I might think about splitting those two. It is way too early to hit the panic button though.

Odd that perhaps the most successful sports franchise in Detroit sports history, and maybe only second nationally to the N.Y. Yankees, noone has had one thing to say about the Red Wings club in more than a month? Hm.

Well, for the first time since, what? 1906? Has our original-six rival, the flying frenchmen of Montreal graced the Joe and were succinctly taken care of. The NHL [[with devil-man Bettman at the helm) has, since 1990, screwed up the NHL SO bad that we spend more time hosting West Coast teams than Boston, New York, Toronto, Montreal, and I aint even gonna say anything about the Blackhawks.

I'd reckon that if the NHL wasn't so screwed up, and if the Red Wings spent more time playing old foes, then there probably wouldn't be a month's lag in posts and remarks about them. I mean, what the hell does anyone care about Columbus? Or - eeks - Nashville? Carolina? WTF?

All that said - Go Wings!

p.s. Lowell - Heh, so I finish writing my ditty of a post and all of a sudden I hear a voice coming from the computer speakers asking me to participate in a survey [[with DYES as the sponsor). Creepy, dude. What is UP with THAT?

ggores

Yes, I think that a lot of these newer franchises have very little appeal to their respective audiences.
    Even the NY Islanders have never met their match in public interest. A group of 1100 ex-Nordiques fans are going to the Nassau Colisseum for the Thrashers game tonight, decked out in their Nordiques shirts to impress upon Bettman their wish for another team in Quebec City. Winnipeg should have a chance at it too. I am not against more teams than the original six, but I would give a
    chance to markets that ours that have a long standing tradition. So many cities got their arenas built on public money without initial interest for the game.

I too was wondering why we're not commenting about the Wings. They're on fire right now. I wish the playoffs could start tomorrow. Whats with Hudler?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast