Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Carl's Chop House

Scrappers have made short work of the Chop House.

For the full gallery: http://detroiturbex.com/content/down...rls/carls.html

Anybody remember eating there? I'm curious about the quality of food, since by the online reviews it seemed to go downhill in the last few years...

wow. that was quick.

When Carl owned and ran the place it was excellent. Best short ribs in the world. Even when Carl's daughter Pat took over it was still holding it's own. When she came down with cancer her son Jeffrey tried to run it from New York and failed miserably. Frank bought it when the restaurant was on it's last leg and couldn't make a recovery.

Wow is right, went there on our honeymoon 20 years ago...

They had a classic menu. One time I ordered Finnan Haddie [[smoked haddock) and it was wonderful, so it wasn't all just about beef. It was a place to wear your dressy clothes and feel like it was a special occasion.

One of the best restaurants for prime rib...I have some great memories of having dinner and a couple of company Christmas parties there.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    wow. that was quick.
    Literally a matter of weeks from a window opening to everything including all the kitchen appliances being ripped out. There are scrappers living on the second floor.

Shoot the scrappers. I'm serious, the trespassers should be shot.

So sad. I always loved Carl's. The platter of complimentary appetizers they would bring out was awesome.

Damn shame. Had my retirement luncheon there in 1984. Was a most popular place with the DPD. Warm memories. Sigh.

wow, what a shame. i did read a few years back that they were turning it into a strip [[no pun intended) joint. another favorite gone.

OK, so maybe I'm naiive but WTF is the building owner doing to let it go to this extent? If I have an asset that is supposedly worth $700k I'm hiring security to do some sort of walk around... maybe install an alarm??!! Maybe even buying a shotgun... and how the hell can someone walk out of building on a major street with commerical appliances under their arms without someone seeing something??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Damn shame. Had my retirement luncheon there in 1984. Was a most popular place with the DPD. Warm memories. Sigh.
    I heard rumors about this party, but I thought it was just urban legend. Were there really strippers there?

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    OK, so maybe I'm naiive but WTF is the building owner doing to let it go to this extent? If I have an asset that is supposedly worth $700k I'm hiring security to do some sort of walk around... maybe install an alarm??!! Maybe even buying a shotgun... and how the hell can someone walk out of building on a major street with commerical appliances under their arms without someone seeing something??!!
    ...bet the insurance was paid up though.

Mike Cox was not there. I can testify to that.

Sad to see. Back in 60's, I got to pick where the family would go for dinner on my birthday. Carl's was my choice. Excellent food. I know Mom liked it. She oysters on the half shell, and didn't have to do the dishes after.

Detroit Rises once again. Why bother investing in property in Detroit when it is going to get destroyed by thieves?

Probably a silly question but, what insurance company would insure a vacant building in Detroit? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Damn! That was the classy place to go when I was a kid. That, and Delmonico's.

I always liked sitting on the bar side - after the new renovations, opening up both sides with game tables, it lost all the ambiance. The Ladies Room always needed attention that it didn't get, but the food was good and the bartenders very professional. I hated to see it close, and really hate seeing this destruction

Very nice photos. Excellent compositions. Sad state of affairs re. the ubiquitous, unstoppable scrappers.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post

Anybody remember eating there? I'm curious about the quality of food, since by the online reviews it seemed to go downhill in the last few years...

I never dined there in its heyday. By the time I went it was scrapped worn china and thin forks. And barely edible, over priced food..... sad to see it in the state it is in now... the scrappers have had their feeding fest it appears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    When Carl owned and ran the place it was excellent. Best short ribs in the world. Even when Carl's daughter Pat took over it was still holding it's own. When she came down with cancer her son Jeffrey tried to run it from New York and failed miserably. Frank bought it when the restaurant was on it's last leg and couldn't make a recovery.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-10 at 08:27 PM.

ROTFL! Would Monica have tipped if she dined there!?

The big kitchen stuff etc. was taken by professional scrappers appearing to be movers who moved quick. Using heavy moving equipment and passing off their presence there for some legitimate "activity", poised to tell a lie that they were taking old equipment out to replace it, blah-de-blah... It was probably done during the day to look less suspicious, ironically.

They probably staked out the goods, unhooked everything one day, then pulled up the truck the next. Gone in a flash... working as a tight group. Everything prepared for a fast snatch-and-go.

The smaller load or amateur or crack-head types get the remaining, smaller under-the-arm goodies you can toss in a trunk. And ugly business indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-10 at 10:11 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast