Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Carter Electric

Does anyone have any information regarding an Electrical Wholesaler and Retailer known as Carter Electric? Their main store was located downtown on Columbia, in the first block east of Woodward, on the south side of the street, next to the original location for the Gem Theater / Century Club. They had up to 7 locations throughout the Detroit area at one time. Chuck Forbes was the last owner, the building was demolished for Comerica Park. They were a very prominent Electrical supply house for the area, selling everything from light bulbs to contractor supplies. They even had their own hand drawn catalog, probably about a hundred pages. Any information or pictures would be appreciated. I believe I have found one grainy picture, but nothing else. Thanks in advance!

From the 1961 White Pages:

Carter Electric Stores
    28 E Columbia, 1/2 block east of Fox Theater
    Branch 17750 Grand River, near Fenkell
    Branch 1534 Fort, Lincoln Park
    Branch 14655 Gratiot, 4 blocks past 7 Mile Rd
    Factory 239 E Vernor, 1/2 block east of John R
    Warehouse 590 E Larned, corner of St Antoine
    Last edited by MikeM; August-07-10 at 12:10 AM.

I'm sure I've been in the Grand River location, but I don't know when it closed. I was going to pull up a picture of it from GoogleEarth but the whole area has been nuked. Former building is a parking lot. Grinnell Brothers is flattened too along with most of the places I would have recognized.

1967 Yellow Pages:

Carter Electric Stores
    Flourescent & Incandescent Fixtures & Electrical Supplies

28 E Columbia
    1534 Fort, Lincoln Park
    17750 Grand River
    14655 Gratiot
    22929 Woodward, Ferndale

Electric Contractors & Industrial Wholesale
    Warehouse 2626 John R

I seem to recall there was a toxic waste situation with that building. I can't find anything on google just yet, but I'm sure there were pcb's in the soil and that delayed the moving of the GEM.

Toxic waste wouldn't surprise me. There were a lot of old flourescent ballasts, some acid, and assorted chemicals around, floors were old warped wood with a lot of gaps for stuff to fall through. They had a steam pit back in a corner where they were tapped into the city steam system. Due to steam leaks, it stayed very warm and moist down there year round, excellent breeding ground for amazingly large roaches and rats. On the plus side, it was a treasure trove of old electrical parts, if you were willing to dig through the place.

And thanks to all who replied!

Last hope, bumping this once to see if anyone has anything new to add, any memories of doing business with them, possibly any pics or copy of the old catalog? The downtown location was quite well known, even in it's declining years, still saw Bill Bonds, Sonny Elliott and others stop in. And Rita, the belly dancing office lady...