Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P.U. and you

Default P.U. and you

Charles Pugh's Pricey Party Raises Some Eyebrows

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100805-wpms

DETROIT - Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh celebrated his birthday in style Thursday morning at the Roostertail. Cameras were not allowed inside the exclusive event where it cost $500 just to get in the door and $5,000 for a table for nine.
    "We are raising money for travel expenses that really can't be taken care of with my office budget," said Pugh.
    He says the money will pay for trips to place such as The White House, where he went in June, the Mackinac Public Policy Conference and other events.
    In March, the now 39-year-old established a non-profit fund called Pugh and You, which is meant to promote social welfare.
    "I just took a trip to L.A. the other day; part of the Democratic Municipal Organization. Well, I can't pay for that out of my city council fund, and I can't afford to pay for it out of my personal money," Pugh said.
    But in the midst of a recession, the big ticket price for the birthday bash is raising some eyebrows. Pugh was just in the news for giving staff members raises at a time where the city is making deep budget cuts. His personal finances have also come into question. At one point, he was even facing foreclosure.
    Then there's the issue of Detroit's former mayor in jail and facing federal charges accused of mishandling a similar type of fund. In Kwame Kilpatrick's case, the feds say the money was spent on lavish trips, fancy cars and even college tuition; something Pugh is well aware of.
    "What happened in the past is with somebody else's unethical behavior. I live my life in an ethical way. I abide by the law," said Pugh.
    He insists his fund will be used as intended and will be transparent.
    Pugh says 50 people attended the party and he raised about $25,000. The guest list was not made available.

What exactly is "social welfare" and how do you promote it? How much does it cost? Sounds like another Civic Fund to me.

Why is the CC President taking all of these trips anyway? Is that part of his job or is it self promotion? Seems like if your budget can't handle all of the jet setting then maybe you don't need to do it - or maybe your staff didn't need huge raises.

Since this money was raised on his own for his own personal party, no one can really tell him what to do with - right?

I think we're starting to see the "real" Charles Pugh that people were concerned about when he ran and won.

P U is the right description. Something smells here.
    Looks like another civic employee who has let their position go to their head.

What's even more incredible is that there were actually 50 people who showed up and paid him the money. Why are you paying someone to take business trips - does he work for YOUR company?

It's disturbing because each one of those $500 checks could have gone to Coats for Kids or some church boxing up holiday meals for poor families, etc. I hope these same benefactors are just as generous to deserving charities instead of being concerned about this diva jet setting.

This does raise a red flag, but at least he isn't pretending that the money he raised is going to needy kids. He's telling you now what he's using it for. Detroit voters will choose whether to send him back in 2013 -- and if we go to council by districts, it may all be a moot point.

He says the money will pay for trips to place such as The White House, where he went in June, the Mackinac Public Policy Conference and other events.
    Why can't he pay for trips such as that from the City Council budget if it's official business? Especially the Mackinac Public Policy Conference? How do the other elected representatives fund their travel expenses to Mackinac for the conference?

EastSider Guest

I'm not necessarily defending him, but maybe he doesn't want the city to pay the travel expenses when the "work" is more like chatting over cocktails.

With all of the issues in the city that require his[[their) attention, I don't understand all of the national travel anyway.

IMO, when I watch that video, his words are very carefully chosen as he tries to explain the justification behind the party. It appears that its his birthday money so he can spend it on whatever he pleases. There's the rub, I think. If anyone complains later, that's what he can always say.

He's notoriously bad with money, that was proven during his campaign, and people wondered what that had to do with his ability to serve on council. Well, he's already over budget on EPU overtime, delivered large unneccessary raises to his staff, and now spending money he doesn't have to fly all over the country.

I think promoting social welfare is going to turn out to be promoting his wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why can't he pay for trips such as that from the City Council budget if it's official business? Especially the Mackinac Public Policy Conference? How do the other elected representatives fund their travel expenses to Mackinac for the conference?
    The city can't afford to pay for any trips period. I just heard that the School Board is attending a weekend retreat. To do what???? Party??? It's time for all of city counsel, the school board and anyone else to stop expecting tax payers to pay. I think a fund is a good idea if that's what it's really used for.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    The city can't afford to pay for any trips period. I just heard that the School Board is attending a weekend retreat. To do what???? Party??? It's time for all of city counsel, the school board and anyone else to stop expecting tax payers to pay. I think a fund is a good idea if that's what it's really used for.
    If the city can't afford it then he doesn't need to go. There is a a major potential for conflict of interest if he's soliciting money from donors to finance trips for official city business. What's next, taking up a collection to fill his gas tank to get to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I think promoting social welfare is going to turn out to be promoting his wardrobe.
    Yeah, just how many pairs of eyeglasses does he have?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    The city can't afford to pay for any trips period. I just heard that the School Board is attending a weekend retreat. To do what???? Party???
    Yes. They have to celebrate the question of mayoral control not getting on the ballot.

Charles Pugh will be watched by the media. He knows about it because he used to be in the news media.

They mustered up a recall petition on Bing for a lot less. Maybe a recall threat might help wake this knucklehead up.

Won't these guys ever learn???

Pugh says 50 people attended the party and he raised about $25,000. The guest list was not made available.
    That list needs to be published and everyone on it needs to be excluded from even bidding on any city contracts for as long as he's in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That list needs to be published and everyone on it needs to be excluded from even bidding on any city contracts for as long as he's in office.
    Or... here's a novel idea... maybe he should recuse himself from voting on those contracts. Seems rather silly to punish companys for merely donating.

As for him raising money to pay for his own trips.... who do you think paid for Monica Conyers trip to Hawaii when Steve Wilson was chasing her around Honolulu with a microphone? The taxpayers!

Would you folks rather he follow the lead of the DPS board and go at the publics expense??

Maybe Pugh wants to visit cities that ARE SUCCESSFUL... to come back with ideas to try to make Detrroit that way again... not a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    My thoughts exactly.... There only one reason to pay those fees, to get something in return. Nothing is for free in this world and I think Pugh is quickly following in Kwame's footprints. He is obviously for sale.

If you can't afford to travel - don't travel. its something I live with everyday and so should he. They do not need to travel that much for their job, sorry. Pick up a phone and get it done. So Tired of our city officials being lying no good greedy thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Maybe Pugh wants to visit cities that ARE SUCCESSFUL... to come back with ideas to try to make Detrroit that way again... not a bad idea...
    It's amazing how much of the world you can visit and learn via the INTERNET! I mean, really, is it necessary to go and SEE all of this? Especially when so many others have already visited before you? Can they not share information? Attend videoconferences? I'm sorry, I'm not buying that he has to go and touch and feel everything. Besides, none of the things he mentioned he had done had to do with successful cities, they were all about EVENTS that he felt he should be at - why?

LOL, I think Monday morning we should all tell our bosses to give us a budget so we can travel the country and visit other successful employees in our field, so we can learn to be better, lol. See how that flies.

And I don't know how true it is, but on Let It Rip last night, the Hood guy [[Nicholas?) intimated that one of the donors was one of the strip clubs. Now that's a whole 'nother bag of worms!

And I don't know how true it is, but on Let It Rip last night, the Hood guy [[Nicholas?) intimated that one of the donors was one of the strip clubs. Now that's a whole 'nother bag of worms!
    That's why I say the list needs to be made public. Preemptive strike so-to-speak to let them know it won't be business as usual anymore. No more KK shenanigans.

Look, my profession requires travel. My roommate's profession requires even more travel. And my uncle's requires even more travel than that. No, I cannot Skype instead of attending conferences if I want to have a prayer of earning tenure. No, my roommate cannot supervise an out-of-state construction site via iPhone. No, my uncle cannot be a chief information officer for a multinational by looking up details about emerging markets on Wikipedia.

Surely we could extend this argument to just about any profession that requires travel -- even broadcast journalism itself. There are many other issues to quibble with Pugh over; this seems petty.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Look, my profession requires travel. My roommate's profession requires even more travel. And my uncle's requires even more travel than that. No, I cannot Skype instead of attending conferences if I want to have a prayer of earning tenure. No, my roommate cannot supervise an out-of-state construction site via iPhone. No, my uncle cannot be a chief information officer for a multinational by looking up details about emerging markets on Wikipedia.

Surely we could extend this argument to just about any profession that requires travel -- even broadcast journalism itself. There are many other issues to quibble with Pugh over; this seems petty.
    Pugh's problems aren't elsewhere. I seriously doubt the solutions aren't elsewhere either. You don't fix your home by leaving, you simply get to work.

The issue isn't petty. If, as was intimated on "Let it Rip" last night, Pugh approached one of the strip clubs whose business has been in front of council recently, to pony up $500 for his breakfast, then that is a conflict of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

This is more about a judgment of character. According to the article, his organization "promotes social welfare"

How about create social welfare instead of schmoozing in some other city? You mentioned some professions, English, that required travel. What I agree with is the travel in those professions actually accomplishing something. But I don't see that here. Pugh would get much better exposure donating clothes, building houses for habitat for humanity, and starting food programs.

OK, I get what you guys are saying. I didn't know he was doing quid pro quo with the strip club owners. Sheesh.

I guess I don't want to believe that Detroit has to deal with yet another shady politician. I watched Pugh for years on FOX and he just didn't seem like the type. Maybe power has gone to his head.

If this is true, I am thoroughly disappointed. I guess we'll never have anyone ethical AND effective at the top of city government. Council by districts cannot come fast enough. [[The charter commission also might consider making city council part-time.)

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Won't these guys ever learn???
    That was my first thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast