Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dosee Guest

Default RACE CARD=Created By Whites

Why does the media always assume the Race Card is played by Blacks?? Clearly Black folks in our nation did not create, invent and invoke the race card like white folks...

From slavery to separate but equal to disparate treatment to profiling..I find it troubling how so many people ignore the orgins of the 'race card"

Why???

Simple, because it is much easier to scape goat instead of accepting one's role in something negative. That's not to say that the current group of idiots on the council don't use it enough however...

cheddar bob Guest

There's only so many defenses you can use for enslaving a whole group of people, building a whole nation on the backs of their free labor, and then treating them like second class people. Accusing them of using the race card is one.

I'm hoping that Obama's presidency will help change this race card crap.

dosee Guest

Default Race card games

I guess our AG Holder was correct we are a nation of racial cowards... I have recently moved to another Detroit Suburb and I am ovewhelmed sometimes at the level of contempt for Detroit and Black folks .

This region is truly wicked on this issue...Why??

lilpup Guest

Slavery has existed forever and still does.

There are people who actually do cry "racism" where none exists. They should stop.

Then there are those who are effectively [[very effectively) using the "Race Card" accusation to keep people from complaining about racist attitudes where they do exist. They should stop too.

Maybe we should call this latter thing the "Race Card Card"?

Because we are 145 years removed from slavery and 40 years removed from segregation. I had nothing to do with either, nor did my family, and for you to lump me in with people that did simply because of the color of my skin makes you as bad as the people responsible for those terrible times. In fact, it probably makes you worse because you have history to learn from and failed to take the lesson.
    Expecting me to take the blame for another person's actions is out of line and not going to happen. There are nations with black armies that rape, murder and maime other black men, women, and children. Should I judge you by their actions because of the color of your skin and the title, "African-American", even though you have no relation to those responsible? Should I play the "rapist/murderer" card on you because you happen to be black like those people, or would you rather I judge on on YOUR actions?

Quote Originally Posted by dosee View Post
    IThis region is truly wicked on this issue...Why??
    I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the factories brought huge numbers of African Americans to the area, while simultaneously bringing a huge number of poor European Americans from the deep south up here.

A landmark bill was passed 40 years ago, but that didn't stop segregation.

All sides need to get together and have meaningful dialogue about the issue of race and ethnicity in America.

I don't believe meaningful dialogue will occur on an internet forum. At least, it didn't work on the last version of this board!

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    A landmark bill was passed 40 years ago, but that didn't stop segregation.
    Just because a bill was passed, sadly doesn't have any effect on the mentality of people. Ironically enough, the south integrated much better than the north did.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Just because a bill was passed, sadly doesn't have any effect on the mentality of people. Ironically enough, the south integrated much better than the north did.
    I'd be careful with statements like this. General surface appearances are sometimes deceiving.

I wasn't trying to start anything lp, could be completely off base though.

dosee Guest

I always found it tragic that our nation required a civil rights act to compell white folks to be civil and humane towards it fellow americans....

Jal1012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SideLion View Post
    Because we are 145 years removed from slavery and 40 years removed from segregation. I had nothing to do with either, nor did my family, and for you to lump me in with people that did simply because of the color of my skin makes you as bad as the people responsible for those terrible times. In fact, it probably makes you worse because you have history to learn from and failed to take the lesson.
    Expecting me to take the blame for another person's actions is out of line and not going to happen. There are nations with black armies that rape, murder and maime other black men, women, and children. Should I judge you by their actions because of the color of your skin and the title, "African-American", even though you have no relation to those responsible? Should I play the "rapist/murderer" card on you because you happen to be black like those people, or would you rather I judge on on YOUR actions?
    Great point. At the same time consider this point of view: Black men and Black women as a whole are demonized and marginalized because of poor media images that misrepresent the true collective nature of the Black American culture. People such as myself, educated, Christian, morally upright, career-minded, and most importantly, family-oriented, get lumped in with a minute minority of women within the Black female culture that choose not to better themselves, are morally and sexually loose, and have no standards/values. The same is true for educated, Christian, morally upright, career-minded, and family-oriented Black men. The guilt by association and the need for a superior-minded race [[i. e. White race) to demonize, marginalize, and ostracize a culture of people so that they can maintain economic, social, and political control within the broader American society. White people have been very methodic in maintaining their economic, social, and political supremacy in the American society. It does not intimidate me. However, for some Blacks it is both intimidating and cripples their ability to fully participate in the greatness that does exist in America.

Just my .02.

Good points also Jal.

Unfortunately, over half of African-American children are raised in a single family home in this country.

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data...s.aspx?ind=107

This puts them at a significant disadvantage, and perpetuates a permanent underclass. Here in Michigan the numbers are even worse, with 70% of African American children having only one parent in the home. While not impossible to overcome, and certainly there are many very good single parents, it is another hurdle to success for an already burdened segment of society, and in this case it is not something society can easily remedy through policy.

Default generalization hurts all people who strive

generalization and sterotyping hurts all people and specificly thoes who do not see all as created equally...Social justice is where we should begin and the whole premise is that we RE-CREATE a system that ensure full participation for all...

That will need to have a willingness to understand eachother and show compassion and forgiveness..those who try to protect pwoer ultimately will lose..those that extend it to all will ultimately suceed.

MOP

dosee Guest

I am so tired of the excuses from many white folks which is "i was not around 300 years ago yada,yada, yada..

I have a news flash nor was I around 300 years ago yet our nation made legal the ownership of certain property and other business opportunities just for white folks and as such these unearned benefits and privledges still have impact in 2009..

It amazes me how people will worship the sancity of the written words of our US Constitution which was composed centuries ago that still has impact in 2009 and yet out of the same mouth seek to distance the depravity and the impact of jim crow type laws and just bumps in the road ot our nation's twisted past....

Sorry but I am not buying that excuse, deflection or denial....

I am so tired of the excuses from many white folks which is "i was not around 300 years ago yada,yada, yada..

I have a news flash nor was I around 300 years ago yet our nation made legal the ownership of certain property and other business opportunities just for white folks and as such these unearned benefits and privledges still have impact in 2009..

It amazes me how people will worship the sancity of the written words of our US Constitution which was composed centuries ago that still has impact in 2009 and yet out of the same mouth seek to distance the depravity and the impact of jim crow type laws and just bumps in the road ot our nation's twisted past....

Sorry but I am not buying that excuse, deflection or denial....
    what's your point? i get that slavery, segregation, etc all still have an impact on society today, but i can't figure out what you're driving at here. is it that every white person today should feel personally responsible for these laws? is it that white people should be so guilt ridden that they can't say someone like MonCon is playing the race card?

dosee Guest

I do not care about white guilt not the ignorance of white folks about our nation's depraved racial legacy..BTW I do not believe MC played the Race Card...The RACE CARD is a game created and invented by whites so I do not think Blacks play the race card..

Let's see, dosee thinks the media is out to get the city council and is unfair in reporting their rampant corruption, and that only white people play the race card... Monica, that you?

dosee Guest

Yes I think the media engages in playing the "RACE CARD" and yes I think this region's media in part becuase of the lack of diversity in its ranks does obessed over the shortcomings of those in the city and not other venues..

Yes I do support the notion that in our nation most Black people react to the cultural majority in a number of ways and such reaction is not playing the RACE CARD but instead it is a reaction often to white racism and often the reaction is defensive more than offensive..

Yes of course I do believe Black folks are racists and bigots and capable of the same level of depravity as any other human beings...

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Let's see, dosee thinks the media is out to get the city council and is unfair in reporting their rampant corruption, and that only white people play the race card... Monica, that you?
    Nah, I think it's one of Martha's people.

I do not care about white guilt not the ignorance of white folks about our nation's depraved racial legacy..BTW I do not believe MC played the Race Card...The RACE CARD is a game created and invented by whites so I do not think Blacks play the race card..
    if you don't care about white guilt or white people's ignorance of racial history, what were you posting about? I still have no idea what point your were trying to drive home?

And if black people can't play the race card, what would you call it if I [[a black man) applied to be the new CEO of GM, and even though i am vastly unqualified with no experience, claimed it was because GM was being racist? would that not be a black person playing the race card?

dosee Guest

detmsp,

What are you posting about?What does your post about some Black person applying for a GM CEO have to do with white folks inventing the 'RACE CARD"..BTW your shallow example referred to a Black applicant...

Let me reiterate so you can post some better retorts or posts that have some degree of logic..

In our nation white americans created the "RACE CARD" from slavery to segregation, jim crow era laws to disparate treatment and racial profiling the very idea that now a sub group of america i.e minorities.ie, Black Folks now play the "RACE CARD " is nonsense and lacks any logical or historical basis..

Yes Black Americans are racist,,Yes Black Americans are prejudice..No from my perspective have Black Americans created or invented the 'RACE CARD'..

Not please try again performing the act of being a Black apologist with more substance....Please step up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast