Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Is Dr. Pepper a cola, root beer, or neither?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cola

7 19.44%
  • Root Beer

0 0%
  • Doesn't matter, it tastes good

17 47.22%
  • Doesn't matter, it tastes nasty

4 11.11%
  • Don't worry about it, it's unhealthy, stop drinking it

5 13.89%
  • None of the above

3 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dr. Pepper [[Another Critical Issue We Need To Solve)

Is Dr. Pepper a cola, a root beer, or neither? America will never prosper until we settle this critical issue. Please do your part and help us figure the answer out this.

Thank you!

It sure isn't root beer. Tastes like Faygo Rock N Rye to me.

By the way, thank you for asking this question, it's been shoved under the rug for far too long.

I think Dr. Pepper = cola + vanilla.

The only thing Iknow Dr. Pepper is is GOOD...

Dr Pepper was a frequent player in the 1990s antitrust history of the United States. As part of these activities, economists and the courts have weighed in with the opinion that Dr Pepper is a "Pepper" flavored drink and not a "Cola". In 1995, the FTC blocked a merger between The Coca-Cola Company and Dr Pepper on grounds that included concerns about a monopoly of the "Pepper" flavor category of soft drinks.[9] In 1996, Dr Pepper was involved in an antitrust case involving Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys, NFL Properties, Nike, and other commercial interests active at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas.[10] Jones had made deals with Dr Pepper and the other companies that, the league said, violated their exclusive marketing contracts with Coca-Cola and other businesses. The NFL agreed to allow Jones and other teams to pursue their own agreements.[10]
    It is a "Pepper" flavored drink!

I have no clue, but I believe 7Up is the illegitimate child of an affair between the good Dr. and Vernor's.

LodgeDodger Guest

As young folks, we used to drink a combination of Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. Dr. Dew...what were we thinking?

It's highly overrated, that's for sure. I've never liked it.

It tastes like some type of Cherry Root Beer.

Hah! The future of the free world rests on this one indeed! Forget the pending meteorites!!

For me Dr. Pepper a guilty pleasure once in a great while. Pop is bad for you on so many levels... It's not a cola, simply sugared, NON-nutritive and unique. Must be served very cold. Great with fried food. After all if I am drinking Dr. P or a Red Pop, I am going all the way! Bring on the grease.... otherwise I stick with my favorite drink: water - plain or sparkling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Is Dr. Pepper a cola, a root beer, or neither? America will never prosper until we settle this critical issue. Please do your part and help us figure the answer out this.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-10 at 11:38 PM.

None of the above. It's a stand alone.

And while on this critical issue, whats the trick to get the smiley faces to appear on the messages?
    Lily

I have it on good authority that Dr Pepper contains cola extract, cherry, vanilla, sassafras, cinnamon oil, pablano chili peppers, cocoa, orange zest.

yeah, my good authority is my own taster and I definitely taste those things. there are 14 others plus sugar. actually, I had a bit of root beer, cherry soda, coke and cream soda left and mixed them together and it sorta tasted like Dr. Pepper - even more when I ate a stuffed pablano - so i compared it with the real thing and tried to figure out what else there was

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    even more when I ate a stuffed pablano - so i compared it with the real thing and tried to figure out what else there was
    I'll take a stuffed poblano over just about anything. I have about 20 of them laying on my kitchen counter waiting for some random stuffing ingredients.

As far as Dr. Pepper, my memories of a long neck, returnable bottle, ice cold, original recipe, are top of the line. It was a taste that I'm sure many people didn't care for. If you liked that fruity, can't put my finger on it, semi cola soda flavor, and I did, for about a dime, you couldn't beat it. Somehow I can still conjure up that taste, which no longer exists, even after 30 or 40 years.

I think it's finally time to bring this out in the open. I'm a Pepper, that's right, and you know what? He's a Pepper, SHE'S a Pepper, in fact WE'RE a Pepper! And seriously, wouldn't YOU like to be a Pepper too?

It's a frankenstein creation born out of the lab, designed to get children hooked on sugary, caffeinated, high fructose corn syrup drinks for the rest of their lives. Kick it to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    None of the above. It's a stand alone.

And while on this critical issue, whats the trick to get the smiley faces to appear on the messages?
    Lily
    You can type a : and ) together and it does it automatically. Or click on the smiley icon in the reply box and select one.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    It's a frankenstein creation born out of the lab, designed to get children hooked on sugary, caffeinated, high fructose corn syrup drinks for the rest of their lives. Kick it to the curb.
    except at its inception it used cane sugar. frankly, Dr Pepper didn't appeal to kids as much as adults

Walmart's in house Dr. Thunder brand is indistinguishable from Dr. Pepper except it sells for $2.50 for 12 cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I think Dr. Pepper = cola + vanilla.
    Vanilla is one of the main ingredients of cola.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Walmart's in house Dr. Thunder brand is indistinguishable from Dr. Pepper except it sells for $2.50 for 12 cans.
    and that its made from the urine of the child labor that makes all the other crap in their stores

and that its made from the urine of the child labor that makes all the other crap in their stores
    I looked it up. Wal-mart subs out its soda bottling. The Cott Company, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, has been Walmart's largest bottler. Cott has twenty bottling plants in the US.

except at its inception it used cane sugar. frankly, Dr Pepper didn't appeal to kids as much as adults
    You can still get it with cane sugar, it's just not as easy to get as going to the grocery store. In addition to the "original" factory in Texas, there is a bottling plant in West Jefferson, NC that makes it with cane sugar.

I've never had it from the original TX bottler but the kind from West Jefferson is fairly easily found in upstate SC.

There is a HUGE difference in the taste/texture between the cane sugar/HFCS Dr Pepper - if all one has ever known is the HFCS Dr Pepper, the "real" kind may not cut it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    You can type a : and ) together and it does it automatically. Or click on the smiley icon in the reply box and select one.
    Guess i will stick with Cherry Dr. Pepper, and no smilies....... <- works fine but the smiley face icon, colors, size, font etc work fine but not the smiley icon.

Oh well I will blame it on my IPad not communicating with the forum software, that sounds good.

There was another Dr. Pepper copy cat once called "Mr. Pibb" I believe.

I LOVE DR PEPPER...
    The Berries & Cream Dr Pepper is also delicious.

Last edited by Papasito; August-15-13 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    There was another Dr. Pepper copy cat once called "Mr. Pibb" I believe.
    Wendy's serves Mr. Pibb and its really close to Dr. Pepper. I'm a soda snob and my official statement is that its a stand alone drink. If I find the cane sugar version I'll gladly drink it. Sipping on a Dad's Root Beer tonight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast