Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Seperate Bedrooms

I read somewhere that one out of 5 marriages couples sleep in seperate beds. I have friends who do this. What do yall think of the whole seperate bedroom thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMac View Post
    I read somewhere that one out of 5 marriages couples sleep in seperate beds. I have friends who do this. What do yall think of the whole seperate bedroom thing?
    I heard this too, and that some home builders were going to start building two master bedrooms in their plans. Mrs. Lodge might get some more sleep if that were the case, apparently I can snore pretty good some nights.

Is it separate beds or separate bedrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Is it separate beds or separate bedrooms?
    Two rooms.

Allows for 'entertaining' guests.

Yes, separate rooms. After six years, we still live in seperate houses [[due to the real estate crisis), and for the last five years have slept in different rooms when possible. It's largely due to my insomnia and shorter sleep hours, etc. It makes for restful nights and has not hurt the relationship at at all. I know many couples that do not sleep in the same room. In your 20's and 30's chances are that you sleep better. As you age people begin to snore, develop insomnia, keep different hours, become less tolerant to heat/cold/noise levels, light in the bedroom, etc. I would expect maybe a majority of older couples have separate bedrooms.

Wife and I have slept together for 52 years with rare exception. Had a severe attack of sciatica a few years back that lasted for a month. Since I tossed and turned all night, slept in the guest bedroom so the better half could get some zzzs. I can't really think of any other times.

We are in the "together forever" crowd. Sometimes, though, our work schedules have us sleeping in different towns.

We sleep in separate bedrooms. Say what you will. If I slept with my husband [[who has sleep apnea but refuses to do anything about it) - I would be awake off and on all night. He is snoring and it isnt rhythmic, if you know what I mean. So anyways, I am not one of those folks who gets by with 4 hours of sleep. It is bliss. He ocassionally kicks the door down. And yeah, I know what Sinbad says about men and sleep apnea; pretty funny.

Carol, aren't you afraid you won't be there to notice if he stops breathing?

Yep, many are doing this... especially those with chronic snoring and back problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Yes, separate rooms. After six years, we still live in seperate houses [[due to the real estate crisis), and for the last five years have slept in different rooms when possible. It's largely due to my insomnia and shorter sleep hours, etc. It makes for restful nights and has not hurt the relationship at at all. I know many couples that do not sleep in the same room. In your 20's and 30's chances are that you sleep better. As you age people begin to snore, develop insomnia, keep different hours, become less tolerant to heat/cold/noise levels, light in the bedroom, etc. I would expect maybe a majority of older couples have separate bedrooms.

I agree with Gaz. Together forever would describe us too. I do understand though why people might want to sleep separately. My youngest son wanted to know how I could tolerate my husbands snoring and I had to laugh. I am the one that snores.

We celebrated our 35th anniversary recently. Our eldest, recently a newly wed, maintains separate rooms. It is what ever works for the couple involved.

East Detroit - More stuff than that to worry about - no, I don't worry that he will stop breathing. His dad is the same way [[88 years young), which is part of the reason my husband is the way he is.
    Call it lazy or lack of compassion or whatever, 8 hours of sleep keeps me healthy and sane.

Me workin since 1984 the grave yard shift ,,my ex and I never hardly got to sleep together..When we did on the weekends we both tossed and turned,,kept each other up half the night..I would wake up at 3am,,*my lunch time* and starved to death,, and had to get up and get something to snack on and get back to bed...I dont know if any of you all ever worked the night shift, but it's a diffrent life...........
    My Grandpa and Grandmother slept in separate rooms,,but maybe I always thought ,,* you seen on the old 1950's tv shows where couples slept in separate beds*...LOL!!! They loved each other till the end...I dont know ...But guess we all need our sleep if it's laying down with our love one,,sleeping on the couch,,we need some sleep to be healthy...

stipes is right. I worked a lot of the graveyard shift, and it's a change. I'd get home at 8:30 a.m. and almost always hit the sack. Fortunately, I'd sleep very well and get up when friend wife got home from work around 4:30 p.m. or so. Days off usually screwed up your cycle, so I'd usually schedule me for two straight weeks of work and then four days off [[DPD, you could usually do that). We rotated shifts every month. If January was midnights, February was afternoons, and March was days, etc. ad nauseam. They don't do that any more, DPD has steady shifts now. I kind of liked the rotation myself.

My grandparents maintained separate rooms. I learned, long after they were both gone, that was because grandma nearly died giving birth to her second child [[my dad) and was advised to not get pregnant again. Back in the 1920s, apparently how you managed that was to sleep in separate bedrooms.

My spouse & I sleep in the same room in the same bed, but not always at the same time. We have often felt that working different shifts helped preserve our relationship so that when we DID get to be in bed at the same time, it was a treat for both of us.

I love to have someone sleeping in my bed next to me. Separate beds would not work for me.

why does the one who snores always fall asleep first?

Works great for me....I sleep in my bed and my ex's are sleeping in theirs.....With any luck its a refrigerator box.