Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default If you're awake, get to MCS!!!

It's all lit up like a Christmas tree for a film shoot! The entire waiting room/depot is lit up! It's amazing! Bring a camera!

kool.......

I was smokin a joint on the roof and they wouldnt let me down until the end of the day.

Does it look like this?

Must be AMAZING!!!! I'm waiting for pictures guys!

Decided to drive downtown and get a coney...it was amazing to see the old place lit up...wow!

A taste is up on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Buildi...OM/10183626925

More to come soon on BuildingsofDetroit.com
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; August-05-10 at 03:31 AM.

Wow Buildings, what an amazing pic. Can't wait to see more!

Wow! That is incredible. What are they doing there?
    Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    A taste is up on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Buildi...OM/10183626925

More to come soon on BuildingsofDetroit.com

Detroit 187 was there last night, rumor has it T3 will be there sometime next week

That is an amazing photo! =) I am as giddy as a school girl, but equally sad I'm in Italy and not in Detroit...just got new that T3 will be there from next week until the beginning of September
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; August-05-10 at 07:26 AM.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I was smokin a joint on the roof and they wouldnt let me down until the end of the day.

You stay classy Detroit.

Sorry, I can't get excited about this without considering two questions:

1. How much $$ is Maroun making by renting out usage of MCS? I don't know the answer to this
    2. How much of that money will be put into cleaning up the MCS or his other slum properties? I'm willing to bet the answer is $0

Whoopity f'in doo, the lights are on for a couple of days.

^ Having the MCS on the radar screen of Hollywood types isn't a bad thing.

^ Agreed. Maybe some Hollywood types will sink enough money into the detonation of the building once and for all. That is a movie I would pay to see.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ^ Having the MCS on the radar screen of Hollywood types isn't a bad thing.
    having it on the radar as a place to film dystopian/post apocalyptic/desolation scenes is not a positive. rewarding the slumlord who keeps it in a state of dereliction and disrepair by paying to rent it from him isn't either.
    Last edited by bailey; August-05-10 at 09:20 AM.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but from what I'm told by several different people with direct knowledge is there is no charge to rent the building, only a hefty insurance requirement, and a donation to a charity of DIBC's choice.

Ravine Guest

Thanks for the heads-up, but this is one Detroiter who doesn't give a damn if they lit it up or blew it up. Just another remnant from the past. Holding up a millstone around your neck may cause it to feel less heavy, but it's still a millstone.

More vacant lots! Whee!
    More vacant lots! Whee!
    No visions but wrecking balls! Whee!
    No visions but wrecking balls! Whee!

I too am underimpressed.... 3 windows lit up.... whoopie....

Maybe they should have taken a page from this monument when it comes to lighting...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbell1975/3601033994/

But then again... this too is just another "millstone remnant from the past" that has been scavenged for centuries.... it too should have been torn down, huh?

After all an empty weed choked field is always preferable, isn't it....

Are you really comparing the MCS to the Colliseum? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Are you really comparing the MCS to the Colliseum? Really?
    Lets see... they both contain Roman architecture and are both built on a massive scale... major difference is one was used as an entertainment killing machine, the other as a gateway to a city.... just because one is 19 times older than the other.... America seems to be rather short on 1900 year old buildings. And except maybe for the Alamo... Americans are rather non-tolerant towards ruins, while Europeans seem to be more sophisticated in that regard...

Answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Lets see... they both contain Roman architecture and are both built on a massive scale... major difference is one was used as an entertainment killing machine, the other as a gateway to a city.... just because one is 19 times older than the other.... America seems to be rather short on 1900 year old buildings. And except maybe for the Alamo... Americans are rather non-tolerant towards ruins, while Europeans seem to be more sophisticated in that regard...

Answer your question?
    I'm sorry if I missed some sarcasm here, but are you seriously likening an abandoned train station to the Colosseum?
    oops.. clearly you are. wow.
    Last edited by bailey; August-05-10 at 02:09 PM. Reason: didnt see jcoles comment....

Whatever became of that plan to light up Detroit's abandoned buildings at night to make the city look more vibrant?

Whatever became of the plan to light up Detroit's abandoned buildings by forcing the slum lords who own them to remediate their blighted properties and make the city look like an actual functioning city and not a Potemkin village of fake store fronts and attractive up lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Answer your question?
    Answers a number of questions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast