Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Denby memorial GONE from Broadhead Armory

Who the f*** thought it would be a good idea to take this?

http://belleislehome.blogspot.com/20...ad-armory.html

surprised it took this long after abandonment for that huge hunk of scrapper money to walk away.
    Last edited by bailey; August-04-10 at 10:08 AM.

I wonder what the motive was: scrap, or sell to a collector?

On a similar note, I've often wondered what happened to this plaque of the Michigan USS Indianapolis casualties. This used to reside in the VFW Hall on Jefferrson. I called a few months back and found that when this hall closed the contents were moved to one in Harper Woods. When that one closed things were moved to SCS. I talked to a guy there and all he could tell me it wasn't there.

My uncle was one of these casualties and is listed on it. It would be nice to know that at least some family member ended up with it, I'd hate to think it ended up in a scrap heap.

That'll be melted down, shipped to china, fashioned into cheap product, and be on your local Wal*Mart shelves by next year. The circle of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    That'll be melted down, shipped to china, fashioned into cheap product, and be on your local Wal*Mart shelves by next year. The circle of life.

Thanks for the dose of reality JL, I was hoping however that by posting this by some strange twist of fate that someone may know about this or at the very least might helped lead me down another path of questioning. Contacting the Veteran's office in Lansing didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Thanks for the dose of reality JL, I was hoping however that by posting this by some strange twist of fate that someone may know about this or at the very least might helped lead me down another path of questioning. Contacting the Veteran's office in Lansing didn't do it.
    Sorry, Zitro, I was referring to the O.P.'s sign. Yours may yet be out there, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Sorry, Zitro, I was referring to the O.P.'s sign. Yours may yet be out there, somewhere.

Ridiculous!! There was the expression that thieves will steal anything not 'NAILED DOWN'... well these scrappers will simply steal anything bolted down or not. What's next? Hopping the fences of Elmwood and Mt. Elliot cemetaries to snatch the bounty of metal head stones and adornments!? Scrappers-ville for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Who the f*** thought it would be a good idea to take this?

http://belleislehome.blogspot.com/20...ad-armory.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-05-10 at 06:00 AM.

How can we stop scrappers? I don't see this happening in NYC. Something has to work in combating people who blatantly walk in with hundreds of pounds of metal to get a few bucks for it.

Too bad we can't do something civilized like, make the penalty for scrapping involve melted metal and a funnel. [[Use your imagination for where the funnel would be placed and the purpose of such.)

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    How can we stop scrappers? I don't see this happening in NYC.
    You don't see it happening in NYC because relatively NYC has neither the poverty level nor the industrial capability Detroit does.

For some of us the decrepit state of the armory pulls tears from our eyes. While in high school, I became a member of the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps and attended the drills at Brodhead.

At Brodhead on March 18, 1970, - also my parents' wedding anniversary - I was sworn in as a recruit in the Naval Reserve. Every Wednesday evening for four hours we attended recruit training and naval engineering classes, and learned to march on the drill deck.

After a two-year tour of active duty overseas, I returned to drill once more in order to fulfill my enlistment obligation.

On drill weekends our meals were taken in the ward room. You should have seen the artwork, not just in that room but throughout the facility. It was a naval facility that looked like a naval facility.

lilpup Guest

Turkeycall, it's just another testament to the Feds near wholesale abandonment of Detroit and Michigan. We have no active duty military bases anywhere in the state anymore, everything is reserve or a much smaller affiliated service like Coast Guard or Border Patrol. Active duty bases serve as centers of population growth in the same manner as manufacturing plants.

Selfridge served as a Naval air Facilty also. Yeah, I remember,as a kid [[in the mid-fifties), looking up and seeing a Navy blimp. It was, more or less, a common sight.

When Selfridge was a real Air Force base, there was always lots of air traffic, even a sonic boom once in a while.

Who are these buyers? Local or suburban? Canadian? Why are they taking 'any' form of metal without question? Corny question I guess... but do they not question anything, even a stack of bronze head stones or a monument of this kind? Apparently not. Jerks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    How can we stop scrappers? I don't see this happening in NYC. Something has to work in combating people who blatantly walk in with hundreds of pounds of metal to get a few bucks for it.

Too bad we can't do something civilized like, make the penalty for scrapping involve melted metal and a funnel. [[Use your imagination for where the funnel would be placed and the purpose of such.)

Bullet Guest

Another piece of our history gone, in an attempt to erase it from time. This goes beyond some scrappers making .38 cents a pound for bronze. It is a movement to undo what we have built in this city a piece at a time. This is so sad...

Bullet Guest

PS to turkeycall: God bless you and thank you for your service, you and your family were good next door neighbors of ours at 5241 Farmbrook.

Always amazed at the number of eastsiders on this board. Farmbrook isn't mentioned much but then neither is Canyon.

I tried many years ago to track down a missing historic plaque, one for Ralph Bunch [[sp) located on the near westside. No luck.

Historic markers are paid for by private citizens and organizations but become state or federal property. If stolen does the state/feds have a responsibility to replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    Selfridge served as a Naval air Facilty also. Yeah, I remember,as a kid [[in the mid-fifties), looking up and seeing a Navy blimp. It was, more or less, a common sight.

When Selfridge was a real Air Force base, there was always lots of air traffic, even a sonic boom once in a while.
    Grosse Isle was the Naval Air Station.

Check the scrap yards near John Kronk or the yard by Eastern market. My money is that it [[was) there.

Copper in Detroit = Free money for thieves

"How can we stop scrappers? I don't see this happening in NYC. Something has to work in combating people who blatantly walk in with hundreds of pounds of metal to get a few bucks for it."

We could shoot them. Seriously, as long as there are buyers, there will be thieves. We've had several instances here in the Little Rock area where potential thieves have been killed trying to steal copper from electric substations. The only way to put a stop to this epidemic is to stiffen the identification and ownership information that buyers must keep on file concerning the sellers.
    Last edited by 5thSFGP; August-05-10 at 12:34 PM.

5thSFGP-

HURAAHHH! Welcome to the forum! Former 5th/7thSFG myself, last duty station Fort Campbell, Ky., 1984-86!

I believe that your solution should be adopted immediately. Maybe if a couple of these assholes get killed right up front, that will make the rest think about it twice before they do it as well. I have personally witnessed that dynamic before in similar types of situations and it serves as a strong deterrent to anyone copycatting the original thieves very quickly and effectively.

Perhaps daisy chining some claymores [[curved side in, of course and with you on the clacker of course !) around a LARGE pile of that precious copper with a few bouncin' betties thrown in for good measure [[1stSarge and I will provide the back-up with some M14's, too) will be enough of a hit team to send a strong message that we are done with the looting of our city! After that we can bring in all the others who are pissed off enough for a good mop-up to keep the pricks at bay!

Delusions of grandeur, I know, but I can't help but think that it would be an effective deterrent in the future.

Just my .02.

Res

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    5thSFGP-

HURAAHHH! Welcome to the forum! Former 5th/7thSFG myself, last duty station Fort Campbell, Ky., 1984-86!

I believe that your solution should be adopted immediately. Maybe if a couple of these assholes get killed right up front, that will make the rest think about it twice before they do it as well. I have personally witnessed that dynamic before in similar types of situations and it serves as a strong deterrent to anyone copycatting the original thieves very quickly and effectively.

Perhaps daisy chining some claymores [[curved side in, of course and with you on the clacker of course !) around a LARGE pile of that precious copper with a few bouncin' betties thrown in for good measure [[1stSarge and I will provide the back-up with some M14's, too) will be enough of a hit team to send a strong message that we are done with the looting of our city! After that we can bring in all the others who are pissed off enough for a good mop-up to keep the pricks at bay!

Delusions of grandeur, I know, but I can't help but think that it would be an effective deterrent in the future.

Just my .02.

Res

As in 5th Special Forces Group? Arent those guys stationed out of Bragg and the JFKSWC&S?

Nope. As in A-253, 5th SFGP - Duc Co, RVN. Did a short time with the 7th, way back when. Didn't have much time to find the mess hall when orders to the 5th arrived. Last SF assignmernt was with USAJFKIMA - MATA Department.
    Good to talk to "family" - both of you. BTW, didn't 40mm's have a copper lining? Just thinking.

Good question, Stylin', but no, they were and I believe are still stationed out of Fort Campbell, KY.. 5th SF has been there since the early 80's and, if you notice, 5thSFGP was a RVN guy-Republic of Viet Nam, so his service preceeded mine [[early '81 to late '86).

Also, the JFKSWC&S, at the time I was in, was a Special Forces A-School for me, which I attended in 1984, but only for a short period [[as I remember, it was about three months, give or take!).

I never spent much time there as I rolled out shortly after recieving orders. I was only with the 5th for a short period as well, then I got "attached" to the 7th for the whole south of the border thing, finally rotating out in '86.

I hope you pardon my lack of memory on the exact time, as it was over 25 years ago and I did a bunch of A-Schools in between getting "attached" to a couple of units from service in El Salvador[[advisor) to Grenada [[75th Rangers) and finally drug intradiction work in Mexico, Honduras, Belieze, etc.[[7thSFG). Later, I even got called back up for Panama [[Operation Just Cause) for 8 months in '89 as well.

I thought that I read somewhere that you were a vet, too? What unit[[s) were you with if you were and where?

Res

Now, how do we get back to eliminating the scrappers and their ways?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast