Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default NY Times Detroit Art Story

This was on the front page of NYT.com yesterday! Pretty amazing. A great idea and two great ladies.

Here's the RDW story from a few months ago.
    http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/det...nt?oid=1293779

If you pick up a physical NYT paper today this story is a full 1/2 front page in the Arts section.

Quote Originally Posted by MDoyle View Post
    If you pick up a physical NYT paper today this story is a full 1/2 front page in the Arts section.
    Where can you purchase the NY Times on a daily basis in the downtown/midtown area? I was sitting on my porch this past Sunday when a newly moved-in neighbor asked me where he could buy the Sunday Times. I was at a loss because lots of places are closed Sundays. I shamefully had to recommend that he go to Starbucks at Mack and Woodward.

I am glad the Detroit art community is getting some national props; however, I don't think that non-artists get enough credit for effecting positive change. Everyone seems to think art is the answer to Detroit's problems, but I think it's only part of the equation. The Wall Street Journal's Alex Kellogg wrote a pretty awesome piece about people doing simple things to improve their neighborhoods in the absence of city services. It's hard to get a copy of that article because WSJ wants you to pay to access their online content, but you can hear Kellogg talk about his piece on the 7/13/10 edition of the Craig Fahle Show http://www.wdetfm.org/craigfahle/index.php?start=2.