Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help me find a location for an independent film?

Hello everyone. I've never posted on this forum before but I've really appreciated and have been impressed by the wealth of knowledge and activity on here, it's a place I'm constantly coming and always finding informative threads. Now I have a question...

I'm making a movie this fall. I wrote it to take place in Detroit, and I think it's the right choice based on the themes of urban reclamation and optimism in the face of difficult opportunities. The film is about three ambitious twenty-somethings whose attempts to start a new communal living environment on an old industrial ferry boat parallel their personal lives and relationships where mountains of optimism overshadow inevitably slow progress.

The majority of the film takes place on this old structure that the characters decide to re-invent. I wrote it to be an old ferry and I would love it to be some sort of large boat, but the story itself is purposely flexible in regards to the actual location. So I'm currently looking to explore all possible options that could work as a location for the film. What I need is a place that is large, abandoned, industrial, and possible that some hopeful young people would hope to make it into a space that could be lived-in, gardened-in, and probably made into an event space as well. I'm looking for a space I could have access to for the months of November and December for shooting. Preferably a place where people wouldn't bother us as well...

I would be very appreciative of any help anyone could provide, or any tree anyone could suggest for me to bark up. I do not live in Detroit, nor have I ever lived there before, but it has been a city that has fascinated me for years and to be honest I'm excited to live there while I work on this project and hopefully again after.

Thanks,

Nandan Rao

You might consider a site along the Rouge River near the Fort Street Drawbringe. There is boats docked along the River and commercial-industial and residential buildings adjacent,
    Another place you may consider is the Goat Farm [[I beieve it is called) near the Edison Power plant along the river and is located near boat repair businesses and a public launch site. There is also a channel to the river behind the Goat Farm.

lilpup Guest

the goatyard. google that and talk to steve hume, but don't for a second you'll get his place for free. fair yes, free no.

Check out the Gregory Boat Company. It's a very old marina and marine repair facility located on a canal on the east side about a mile east of the Belle Isle bridge. They could probably locate a vessel for you.

Just a thought, I have contacts at the Detroit Yacht Club, which is operating and in excellent condition on Belle Isle. Also, the Detroit Rowing Club is using the formerly abandoned Detroit Boat Club complex also on Belle Isle. They are maintaining the structure as best they can but there is still a lot of deterioration there that they are addressing a bit at a time. Including the abandoned swimming pool, docks, etc. they use parts of the building, while other parts they are doing repairs to. They are an inspiring group of people.

Another complex on the Detroit River: The Fort Wayne military complex [[abandoned buildings, occupied buildings, a boat doc [[I think the Army Corps of Engineers);

Goat yard.

All of the above mentioned are good options. However, if you are flexible my eldest lived in an enormous loft above Bagley Vision. It was a wreck to say the least but with hugh potential. An adjacent rooftop could have been a wonderful roof top garden with great views of downtown