Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Northern Lights

Default Northern Lights

I just heard a report that northern lights might be visible from Michigan over the next 48 hours.

I'll have my BIG binoculars out there just in case.

The sky is clear as a bell, too. I will be out looking!

Did it indicate any particular time of night that would be most likely?

Bummer, hopefully they will be visible from San Diego as well.

I just camped across the country...from SW Indiana to Dodge City to Taos to Sedona...and while the sky was beautiful every night [[we chased away huge thunderstorms each night, each night it was raining as we set up the tents but clear thereafter) there were no extraordinary sights.

Other than the three meteors last night.

At least one we think might've been more...it had at least five vehicles in chase at first...according to my friend who caught the beginning...but by the time I saw the grouping, it was only two with a weird 'meteor' shooting through the middle of them. As if something made a jump to light speed.

Let's hope San Diego's street lights don't pollute so much...

Nevada skies are clear, as always, but I fear we're far too south to see the show. Nonetheless, we shall give a few looks after dark tonite and tomorrow night. Good luck, all.

I've seen them several times in the Thumb and in the U.P, but I highly doubt they'll be visible around the lights of the Detroit Metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did it indicate any particular time of night that would be most likely?
    No, the time of such a thing would be unpredictable.

Also, the annual Perseid meteor shower is due on Aug. 12. This is the largest annual shower on average. Best viewing is after 11 p.m. or pre-dawn. Some two dozen meteors are expected to streak across the sky every hour although historically there's a lot of variance in that number. The meteors seem to radiate from the constellation Perseus.

Name of forecaster: Charles Deehr

Time of prediction: 8/2/2010 2:01:00 PM*

Forecast:Auroral activity will be active. Weather permitting, active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Inuvik, Yellowknife, Rankin and Igaluit to Juneau, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Sept-Iles, and visible low on the horizon from Vancouver, Great Falls, Pierre, Madison, Lansing, Ottawa, Portland and St. Johns.

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

I heard it would be most likely to come on in the early hours of 8-4, or after midnight tonight, I guess.

Oh, and as a preemptive disclaimer, the northern lights are in no way guaranteed to appear in Michigan. It's more like if you're eager to see them, now would be a good time to take the risk or if you're out there anyway it's worth glancing to the north.

Meteor showers are best viewed in the pre-dawn hours because at that time the earth's atmosphere is spinning into the direction of its travel. The Perseids appear to radiate from the constellation Perseus because that's the direction earth is moving as it flies through the debris left by comet Swift-Tuttle. The Perseids can appear over several days around August 9 through 14.

Watching the sky, tonight is the night. Haven't posted in awhile, hope everyone is having a great summer. It has been superb for skinny dippin! Jimaz, I'm estimating the arrival at 1 a.m. ish. Happy sky watching!

Ravine Guest

You have returned!!

As always, your Qweekness is my weakness...

Hi Ravine, sweet thing!

I hope we see the auroras tonight, it looks promising. Keep watching, it's worth it.

Poke around here to get an idea of what is so close. Keep watching, listen to the many cicadas singing, get a few mosquito bites...it's summer, enjoy it.

http://spaceweather.com/

Ravine Guest

My best summer & insects moment occurred at an off-the-beaten-path resort in San Antonio, Texas, with me sitting out on a second-floor balcony, very late at night, reading and listening to what amounted to a symphony of insects & amphibians buzzing, whirring, and croaking in waves.
    I will always be awed by the way they can all go totally silent at the same moment. How in the hell do they do that? I dunno. I don't need to know.

So far waves of steamy clouds, flashes of light like heat lightening and a raccoon paying me a uninvited visit in the driveway...that's it. I'm not going to bed yet. Paid a visit to some trusted websites and it looks questionable now...I still have hope plus I don't work until 11:00 so I'm fine for the sleep factor...oh and I have three shooting star sightings! Made a wish on every one, not a total wash out.

Nice story Ravine, I was just thinking about how the bugs hush in unison tonight...same wave, nice.

Hey, Qweek! I was thinking about you last night as I was standing in the street in my nightie. Woke up about 3:30 a.m. and put on my shoes, got the dog and went outside to check out the sky. It was super clear with a little sliver moon shining brightly high in the east. I live in a lightbowl, so didn't expect much. All the neighbors dutifully had on their yard lights and each one was wearing a halo of damp glittery haze.

But there, in the middle northern sky, I could see a faint greenish glow stretching in an irregular line for about the space of three houses across. Above it, the sky was very faintly lighter. Absent the ubiquitous wash of ambient light in Southfield, I bet that would have been a spectacular display.

I enjoyed the bug symphony, too. It was a beautiful time to be outside.

Good morning! Well, I only stayed up until 3:00 a.m. went to sleep without seeing much of a display in the sky but I did enjoy my evening. So if I stayed up just a little longer I would have seen the light? I'm glad you were lucky enough to see the auroras Gazhakwe, thanks for thinking of me! I'm in a wavy, hazy, sleepy fog today. It's like I have my own personal auroras in my eyes. Good thing I only have to spend four hours at the office with no patients to see. Have a wonderful day and keep looking up.

We were notified too the Northern Lights would also be visible on the northern part of the Netherlands, where I happen to live. The weather is not working for us at the moment, skies are cloudy, but I think I'll pop outside this evening to see if it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    How in the hell do they do that? I dunno. I don't need to know.
    some things are best left to enjoy and marvel at.

I think the trend will be more sightings in the next few years. I last saw them two years ago, in October, at Ipperwash Beach, Ontario.
    Our rented cottage looks north, where the lights were shifting around near the horizon of Lake Huron.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I've seen them several times in the Thumb and in the U.P, but I highly doubt they'll be visible around the lights of the Detroit Metro area.
    About 25 years ago, I just got home from work about 1 AM in the morning around the intersection of Hall Rd and Gratiot. I looked up and was suprised to see a spectacular, but somewhat dim Northern light show. I'm sure that maybe 25 miles north it was really something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    About 25 years ago, I just got home from work about 1 AM in the morning around the intersection of Hall Rd and Gratiot. I looked up and was suprised to see a spectacular, but somewhat dim Northern light show. I'm sure that maybe 25 miles north it was really something.
    I think I also saw that show. The green lights just danced across the sky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast