Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle Survey

Here's a chance to voice your opinion. Friends of Belle Isle is inviting people to complete their survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BelleIsle

Completed..

Done. Thanks.

me too. The survey is sponsored by several different groups planning for Belle Isle's future, including FOBI, Detroit Parks & Rec, the Friends of the Aquarium, the Belle Isle Women's Committee, and BIBS [[I hope I am remembering correctly - as I have taken the survey, I can't get back into it to check.)

There are questions about how you would like to see Belle Isle funded, for those who have posted on the many threads about that subject.

that was easy...

I filled it out. Wish I could find out the results. It would be pretty interesting to see what the general pop thinks of the island.

I for one would like to see the island cleaned up and for a fee to be enacted to help with said clean up. I've been out there almost every other day all summer and it is just disgusting this year. Worse than any other year in the 8 I've lived here.

I'd like to see a dog park where the old driving range was/is located. It already is fenced, has a 'starter' shed where you could control access, charge admission and sell pet products, and would re-purpose a currently unused part of the isle.

I agree gnome a dog park is a good idea. I would like to take my dog somewhere she could swim.

Everybody who uses Belle Isle should fill this out. It's easy and doesn't take long. Maybe it will help.

Done, thanks for posting this.

Okay, filled it out but don't have high hopes.

Remember when we could rent bikes and canoes? Still go for the views but it should be a world class park and isn't.

Still wish the mounted police had a presence. Wish they would bring back the petting zoo, remember the chickens, goats, cows etc. Very fond of the goats, one ate a fake flower off my sister's sash. Boy did she cry.

Should put in an Urban farm with viable programs for kids.

I remember when they built the nature center. The 30 foot cockroach on some kind of a mural was disgusting.

The only thing I don't miss was the elephant house. It stunk to high hell and even as a child, I thought it was cruel imprisonment.

Most folks don't know or remember that a good chunk of Belle Island was a communal pig farm. Its original name was Couchon D'ilse.[[sp) The island was small and was expanded due to land fill under Mayor Hazen Pingree. Thats when the canals were created too.

done and did!

Was really surprised at the race/gender questions. Should it matter?

I checked other and put "proud DPS grad"

Race/gender shouldn't matter. Might as well say I am a proud DPS graduate too! My husband went to Cass and I, Finney. Met at WSU.

Perhaps someone could tell me why the golf course closed. It seemed to be well used.

things like race and gender and age are used to craft marketing efforts for the FoBI.

For example, if the people who are responding are mainly female from 48009, then a highly targeted marketing effort could be launched to build membership from that area. Local Cable, Newspaper, outdoor, etc messages could be customized to appeal to that audience.

Hence the demographic questions aren't tied to the questions about golf course fees, or deer jail bail rates, they are just there to help the Friends of Belle Isle spend the tiny marketing budget as efficiently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    done and did!

Was really surprised at the race/gender questions. Should it matter?
    Yes it should matter, at least for race. Glad to see Model D posting this! I for one would like to see a toll established, I know I know it has been said a hundred times, but come on! The isle looks like a garbage dump and there is no reinforcement to clean it up.

Guess if I was going to complete the survey again, then I would add they need more parking spaces.

See todays Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/20100809/NEWS01/100809019/