Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Georgia Street Community Collective - Next Event!

The Georgia Street Community Collective's next event:

Yard Sale/Bake Sale
    Saturday, May 16th
    10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    9352 Georgia St., Detroit MI
    All proceeds will go toward the Building Fund
    for the Community Center

Donations of clothing, household goods or other items [[Please be sure they are clean and in good condition) are welcomed. They can be dropped off at the address above anytime between now and Friday, May 15th.

Donations of fresh baked goods are also welcomed. These should be dropped off at the same address either Friday the 15th or very early Saturday the 16th. Be sure they are in disposable containers. Please provide a label listing all ingredients in each donated item.

If have any questions e-mail or call Mark at 313-452-0684
    or
    If you plan to donate any item, please send an e-mail to georgiast313@yahoo.com
    and tell us what you are donating and when you will bring it.

Bring your family and friends to shop!
    Last edited by Blueidone; April-29-09 at 09:38 AM.

Sigh!!! I wish GSCC was doing more on this forum. I found out about this inniative by reading DY. Many people have a high interest in reading about this project but perhaps don't like to post. Everything now is ... call this person ...or send an email...or check our website or facebook etc. which deprives lots of people of uplifting info on the garden status. I used to check out the Georgia Street thread on an almost daily basis because it inspired me. Now other than announcements there is a dirth of info.

I have tried hard to contribute what I can to this wonderful project. "Insiders" know what and how much. The fact that I had to put italics around insiders should convey my feelings regarding how GSGs seems to be evolving. I am not trying to insult anyone. It is amazing the amount of collobrative effort that has gone into this project. Just please don't become exclusive since it would dimish your mission.

Please, just keep posting info here. Many many people want to hear updates.

I have 4 maybe five boxes of current books to donate. Also some clothes and small household goods and appliances. Might drop off some today, since I'll be in the area.

Good luck and good growing. Sumas

Sorry, forgot to mention I will also donate some baked goods. I will send Grandma's Suzies' bundt chocolate cake. I will attach ingredients and the recipe to make it. It is down on the farm good. Simple ingredients, easy to make but good eating. It will even be baked in Grandma Suzies original cake pan. Sumas

Sumas: After the Easter Event, we took a little break from our planning meetings. Cub has been working furiously in the gardens to get things planted. Some folks from the neighborhood and otherwise have been volunteering their time to help Cub get the gardens ready. People are dropping off stuff for the compost pile too.

To my knowledge, we have not had any favorable returns on our grant requests yet. But we will keep applying. For now, our focus is on getting the garden planted, and fundraising so that we can start the work on the community center and market. We did get a donation of some of the materials and equipment required to put the new roof on the market. This is our top priority in the "construction phase".

Viva is working on getting our new website up with reports and pictures, which may help you keep better track of what is going on. Unfortunately, work has kept Viva busy lately.

We will be meeting again tomorrow [[Sunday) afternoon and may have more to report at that time. Thanks for volunteering stuff for the Yard/Bake Sale. We have received several responses from DYes readers who are donating goods for both the Yard Sale and Bake Sale.

Watch for an update next week!

Sumas, I am sorry! I have been so busy lately I forget to tell people what I am doing.
    I have been meeting with other organizations trying to pick there brains on other funding options just to get the community center up and running. Also planting and getting the third garden prepped for planting. I have decided that the Georgia St Community Garden II [[The Ruby Garden corner of Georgia and McClellan) will be our potatoe and corn patch this year.
    I am in the planning stages of having a summer concert/open mic series in the garden. Board meeting tomorrow so stay tuned.
    We have nine fruit trees waiting to be planted in the garden. I am going to set up a couple workdays this weekto clear some small trees and to plant them. Monday evening 6:00pm to 8:30pm and Tuesday evening 6:00pm to 8:30pm.

Thanks all. It is an unfortunate truth that I am an insomniac. I really do get cheered hearing news about things I hold close to my heart.

Hope I didn't sound bitchy, but, there are many people like me that like updates. New volunteers and maybe extra donations could result by maintaining a current thread

I am pondering our lack of grant responses. One thing is obvious, which is grantors are currently flooded with requests. Each grant request should be modeled to some degree to the wishes of the grantor. Community gardens are common enough, we need to show why Georgia Street is unique. Its essense, is that it is, a garden with extra-ordinary community focus.

This garden and community effort has garnered local and national recognition. We need to play to that success in grant seeking. This garden is different in its approach to community outreach. Tell Jenny we want a Cool City grant!

Along with "garage sale" items and baked goods, we will also have a few craft items and some light snacks [[hot dogs, drinks, etc).

Please stop by if you can. As stated before, all proceeds will go to the community center building fund. We appreciate everyone's continuing support of our efforts.

REMINDER!

YARD SALE - BAKE SALE
    THIS SATURDAY - MAY 16TH
    10 AM TO 4 PM

9352 GEORGIA ST - DETROIT

Please come by and do a little shopping. Help us grow our Building Construction Fund for our Community Center.

GSCC is a registered 501[[c)3 charitable organization.

We will make cookies on Friday and deliver on Saturday morning.

I don't have a sense of how to package the cookies. Would packaging them in sandwich Ziploc bags be a good idea? How many cookies per bag - five or ten? I will label each bag with the date and ingredients, but I will not label with the price, correct? GSCC people will do that, correct?

Thanks.

Crystal...six or twelve to a Ziploc bag would be fine...and yes, we will price them. Thank you very much for your efforts!

Final Reminder for the Yard Sale/Bake Sale! Lots of great items, including TV's, Furniture, Appliances, Clothing, Baby Clothes and Strollers and LOTS of books!

Please come by and do a little shopping...if nothing else, for some GREAT baked goods!