Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The Canals-what happened?

Howdy Yessers!

Went for a little kayak tour through the canals on the east side of Detroit. Some great homes and some not so great homes. More of the latter.

Why so? This seems like a terribly unique part of the city that people would love to live in. I know I do.

So what's the poop? why such a dump?

I think it has to do with the fact that it's right on the border between Detroit and the Pointes. The most desirable parts of Detroit are not on the border. Same goes for the Pointes. Although it's a shame. I've had some friends on Ashland before, and always thought the same thing: What an unusual neighborhood! I believe Charles Lindbergh's mom lived on Ashland in the 1920s.

It's like that because its in Detroit, with it's crappy schools, high crime rate, pathetic public services and outragous property tax rates. You only have to go a few miles up the road to get exactly the same kind of property with great school systems, low crime, lower tax millages and city governments that work.

Which are you going to choose?
    Last edited by ndavies; August-02-10 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    It's like that because it's in Detroit, with it's crappy schools, high crime rate, pathetic public services and outragous property tax rates. You only have to go a few miles up the road to get exactly the same kind of property with great school systems, low crime, lower tax millages and city governments that work.

Which are you going to choose?
    I'm glad you're better educated, outside Detroit, with "it's" crappy schools.

Yep and one typo make me an idiot. Glad I don't post all the shit you do.
    Just noting the irony of somebody badmouthing other people's educational opportunities while not typing perfect English. But now that you point it out, yes, you're neither a scholar nor a gentleman. Thanks for adding that to the record too.

Sorry for being right. Other than the misplaced appostrophe, Please tell me where my statement is wrong. Please show me a single statistic that goes against my arguement. Please show me a single study that doesn't show the Detroit schools are one of the worst in the country. Please show me a single Crime study where Detroit doesn't come in the top 5 in crimes against it's resident. [[notice I used It's correctly there.) Show me where 58 mils for it's property tax isn't one of the highest tax rates in the metro area. Show me another city that had it's downtown city light grid go out for 4 days taking CAYMC and Detroit receiving out.. Show me another city where the shenanigans at the DPS board are tolerated.

You're worried about appostophes being used correctly as people flee the disaster that is the City of Detroit.
    Last edited by ndavies; August-02-10 at 12:10 PM.

Hey, if you can't criticize the content of what someone says, go after the grammer.

Sorry for being right. Other than the misplaced appostrophe, Please tell me where my statement is wrong. Please show me a single statistic that goes against my arguement. Please show me a single study that doesn't show the Detroit schools are one of the worst in the country. Please show me a single Crime study where Detroit doesn't come in the top 5 in crimes against it's resident. [[notice I used It's correctly there.) Show me where 58 mils for it's property tax isn't one of the highest tax rates in the metro area. Show me another city that had it's downtown city light grid go out for 4 days taking CAYMC and Detroit receiving out.. Show me another city where the shenanigans at the DPS board are tolerated.

You're worried about appostophes being used correctly as people flee the disaster that is the City of Detroit.
    Misspellings, poor capitalization, etc. You actually used it's incorrectly again. [["crimes against it is residents"?) So, yeah, since we're discussing edumacation, why not point out the illiteracy in your posts?

Sure the schools are bad. But that doesn't mean you're not a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Hey, if you can't criticize the content of what someone says, go after the grammer.
    I used to walk in the neighborhood of the canals. I had an older friend that lived in that area that I would also visit on occasion. She left because she no longer felt safe in the area. There was significant abandonement of homes and many occupied units were poorly maintained. There were abandoned schools and churches in the area and the Jefferson/Chalmers business district was a ghost town. there was plenty of crime - robberies, break-ins, car theft, etc.

Like probably most Detroit residential neighborhoods, the cons simply outweighed the pros for many of the residents. For a few dedicated souls it is a challenge to stay. For others, the challenges become too much and they left for a better quality of life.

It's definitely too bad that that area around Ashland has suffered so badly, it was quite a great neighborhood in it's day and still has some appeal. Many of the homes have canal access and boat wells. It is one of Detroit's most unique neighborhoods for sure.

Worse yet he's fighting with the wrong person. I love Detroit. I lived in the city for 10 years. I only moved out when my job loss forced me to move out of state. I've found a new job in the region and am currently looking for a place back in the city.

We however need to be honest about what's here. The city will not get new residents without crime going down, Schools getting better and city hall actually working for the people and business of the city.

Hamtown mike asked the question. Unfortunately, The answer is painfully obvious. There is no hope of the middle class, returning until those issues are fixed. It's the middle class we're after, They're the people who would truly appreciate and build up that nice home on a canal, Making Detroit the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Misspellings, poor capitalization, etc. You actually used it's incorrectly again. [["crimes against it is residents"?) So, yeah, since we're discussing edumacation, why not point out the illiteracy in your posts?

Sure the schools are bad. But that doesn't mean you're not a fool.
    So you're still arguing about my bad grammer. Sorry I'm a software engineer I don't get paid for grammar. Especially here on a bulliten board.

So once again where are your studies showing where I'm wrong.

Still no argument against my statements

Absolutely true, ndavies. Abandonment of large cities by the middle class is very common in the US. Especially the old manufacturing cities. Detroit is most likely the worst case scenario but we are not the lone suffering urban area.

If anything, the Ashland area held out longer than many other east side neighborhoods because of the popularity of boating in the metro area. Still, your average person will only tolerate so many urban problems before leaving for suburban areas.

Hopefully the new riverfront projects like Harbortown and Greyhaven might eventually stabilize the far southeast area around the canals and islands. One can always hope for better.

So you're still arguing about my bad grammer. Sorry I'm a software engineer I don't get paid for grammar. Especially here on a bulliten board.

So once again where are your studies showing where I'm wrong.

Still no argument against my statements
    Grammar, ndavies. G - R - A - M - M - A - R. Grammar.

Not all of Detroit's public schools are bad. 95% of the 2010 class of the Detroit International Academy are college bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Grammar, ndavies. G - R - A - M - M - A - R. Grammar.
    Still no studies proving me wrong?

No data, nothing, all you can do is bitch about spelling and Grammar..
    Last edited by ndavies; August-02-10 at 12:50 PM.

100% Truth ndavies you are right on point, my family has had its roots in the city since the '20's, unfortunatly on this board lately you will end up being attacked when you tell the truth that includes anything wrong with the city...its a microcosom of the why the city is in the state it is....
    Last edited by ja!mz; August-02-10 at 12:47 PM. Reason: speeling

It's people like Detroitnerd stopping the city from moving forward. I talk about the problems and he/she worries about appostrophes.

Detroitnerd - I'm with you - Anybody who criticizes DPS best have a grammatically correct post. Good thing ndavies doesn't get paid for grammar or he would starve...........

That being said, one wonders why the whole canal area including the old VA Hospital area and Angel Park is not being developed, other cities would kill for that kind of water frontage. Anybody know who owns the land? Is somebody standing in the way because their "cut" is not big enough?

The Canals- what happened? Detroit happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Not all of Detroit's public schools are bad. 95% of the 2010 class of the Detroit International Academy are college bound.
    Yes Ed, Not all Detroit schools are bad. Unfortunately, that's like saying that barrel of Apples isn't bad. There are two down at the bottom that are edible. It doesn't do much good for the rest that have rotted and are about to infect that last 2.

Why not you have no Canals?

Worse yet he's fighting with the wrong person. I love Detroit. I lived in the city for 10 years. I only moved out when my job loss forced me to move out of state. I've found a new job in the region and am currently looking for a place back in the city.

We however need to be honest about what's here. The city will not get new residents without crime going down, Schools getting better and city hall actually working for the people and business of the city.

Hamtown mike asked the question. Unfortunately, The answer is painfully obvious. There is no hope of the middle class, returning until those issues are fixed. It's the middle class we're after, They're the people who would truly appreciate and build up that nice home on a canal, Making Detroit the place to be.
    You are right in every account of your arguement ndavies. Detroit schools are in shambles, the city services are a joke and the property taxes are ridiculous. No one in their right mind could argue with that.

Also if you are looking for a place to move to I hear the Vinton Building might be available... oh wait. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Detroitnerd - I'm with you - Anybody who criticizes DPS best have a grammatically correct post. Good thing ndavies doesn't get paid for grammar or he would starve...........

That being said, one wonders why the whole canal area including the old VA Hospital area and Angel Park is not being developed, other cities would kill for that kind of water frontage. Anybody know who owns the land? Is somebody standing in the way because their "cut" is not big enough?
    Once again a grammar freak with absolutely no argument against the theory I posted. Once again, other than grammar, where am I wrong? What part of my statement is false. Do you have any other kind of argument, other than I can't type.

Why come there are no more Canals?
    Last edited by ja!mz; August-02-10 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spellling

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast