Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Memorabilia question

Picked up this plate at a local estate sale this weekend. I waw hoping that someone on the forum could help me with the history.

The plate says Ernst Kern Detroit on it. I know that is it from the Kern's store. Just wondering why it was made and when. It looks like it was made by Villeroy & Boch, judging by the backstamp.

Any ideas on the time frame or anything about it? Thanks everyone!

I found a similar plate on Worthepedia.com
    Commemorative American Majolica Plate

by Villeroy & Boch- Signed V & B S 977 7
    Ernst Kern Dry Goods Company Detroit, Michigan
    To commemorate the 50th anniversary of this Detroit landmark
    1891-1941
    This plate is striking in its' detail and execution
    A palm leaf fan with 48 individual leaves forms the background
    with "Ernst Kern Detroit" arched between wheat and cornflowers and a butterfly
    In pink, yellow and blue on a turquoise ground.
    Gorgeous example of American Majolica

There was also one in red that has this info with it:
    The bid is for a PLATE FROM the ERNST KERN CO. DETROIT MICHIGAN. ERNST KERN was one of DETROITS' PREMIERE DEPARTMENT STORES. It opened in 1891 and at it's 50 ANNIVERSARY in 1941, gave EACH PURCHASING CUSTOMER A GIFT in celebration. Upon purchasing some new furniture, my AUNT was given this PLATE, which was displayed in her China Cabinet. The Plate and information was passed on to me by her. It is in very good condition with the exception of a couple very minor chips, [[see pix). Written on it is ERNST KERN, DETROIT. The KERN DEPT. STORE, closed in the 1960's. A favorite Meeting location in Downtown Detroit was ~UNDER THE KERN'S CLOCK~, the Clock was saved and has a place of distinction stll, on Woodward Ave. The Plate is in a Beautiful Soft Burgandy with Blue Flowers, a Yellow Butterfly and Golden Wheat.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...50th-ann-plate

Wow! That's great, jcole. Thank you. Didn't know they came in other colors.

You're welcome. They are cool looking plates.

I wonder what other colors were available? Did anyone have this plate in their family? Anyone ever sold one and for what price? I paid $30 and i'm pretty happy with it.

I've managed to collect 4 of these. I had no idea they were made in 1941. I assumed they were much older, since I thought majolica was out of fashion by the 40s. The address [[204-206 Randolph) represents one of their old addresses. Guess it doesn't mean it was the address when these plates were made. They are beautiful. $30 is a good price. I paid more for some, less for others. Anyway, here they are. One of them is the same as the OP. They must have made a lot of them. Enjoy.

Papa Kern?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...n/IMG_0240.jpg

Mama Kern?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...n/IMG_0239.jpg

Nice leaf bowl ...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...n/IMG_0241.jpg

Very cool, Savoyard. Thanks for posting them.

The plate i bought was the first Kern's pottery item i've seen. I'll have to keep an eye out for more!

Here's some Kern triviaa. Remember all those wooden chairs on the Bob Lo boats? On the backs of them, was the name Kern Rental, I believe. I always remembered that since my dad worked with a Betty Kern at Fruehauf in the 60-70's, and her husband had something to do with renting all those chairs.

I love idea that stores and movie houses gave out pottery to patrons. What a wonderful time.