Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default how's book tower holding up?

have the new owners stepped up and made sure the building is at least secure? was the water pumped out of the basement?

There's been a security guard staffed on the ground floor for the past four or five weeks now. The building is also sealed tight.

DetroitDad Guest

Yes, the pump trucks have been sitting outside for a couple days, other work has been going on the past couple days, there has been security in it for most of April, and.... well, just sit tight.

dexterferry Guest

go to flickr and visit the Usual Suspects. you'll see just how "sealed tight" the book tower is.

I'm going to the Michigan Building today [[4/30)... so thanks for the reminder... I'll bring my camera along and get some photos with some interesting perspectives of the backsides of the Book Tower/Building from one of the upper floors of the [[nearby) Michigan Building.

Also, I'm gonna try and see if I can take some photos of the upper parts of the United Artists Theatre and UA Building from as high a perspective in the [[next door) 13 story Michigan Building as I am permitted.

I'm curious to see if the United Artists Theatre roof really has been repaired.

I've been keeping the folks at the Theatre Historical Society informed on the mysterious goings on at the United Artists Theatre/Building.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    go to flickr and visit the Usual Suspects. you'll see just how "sealed tight" the book tower is.

How about a link?

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    This was a couple months back. The tower is no longer open. Can you provide a more recent description of the tower?

dexterferry Guest

I saw several access points no more than two weeks ago.

There was no street/alley access to the Book Tower on Saturday mid-afternoon.

All of the doors had heavy chains on them. The security guard was very friendly but would not even consider giving us a peek inside. She said construction crews have been 'cleaning up' the buildng over the past few weeks, but last week there wasn't much activity. A large generator [[pump?) was running in the alley.

Is there a resource that can provide information on legally touring the interiors of abandonded skyscrapers/theaters? I tried the Preservation Wayne skyscraper tour last summer but that only provided views from the sidewalk and lobbies of active buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    How about a link?
    Those [[[[[[ bags who go by Survival Crackas posted some videos on TrespasserTV [["Broadcast your misdemeanors"):

http://trespassertv.com/video/c94798...The-Book-Tower
    http://trespassertv.com/video/3e0c16...-Book-Tower-II

At least they're not destroying stuff like they usually do.

^^^They are white suburban urban destroyers from Northville. They are pretty much responsible for a lot of the damage to downtown's historical buildings that isn't casued by scrappers.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    ^^^They are white suburban urban destroyers from Northville. They are pretty much responsible for a lot of the damage to downtown's historical buildings that isn't casued by scrappers.
    Mwuahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Hence why I called them what they are, "[[[[[[ bags."

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Hence why I called them what they are, "[[[[[[ bags."
    Diggin' the most recent comment on the vids

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Diggin' the most recent comment on the vids
    "Excellent! Mommy and Daddy let you borrow the car for the drive in from Northville again! Now you can videotape yourself busting up another building. I love people that are responsible for property damage and think its no big deal, yet fail to realize it’s morons like you that force the city into tearing down these buildings before they can be refurbed because no one wants to clean up after you tools."

I wish those were my words. I made a less slamming comment on a video of theirs on YouTube where they're laying waste to the Wurlitzer Building and he threatened to "kick my ass." Ha. Right. I'd love to tie 'em up in a building they've destroyed when it has to be demolished cuz of schittheads like them.

Like much information on here with buildings... it's incomplete. Such as all the talk that the Cary building is vacant - it is in fact not, I see people in it every day, working. Many times, I see people leaving the lower floors [[not the main retail space) and they're definitely not crackheads. I don't want to be an ass to the people there and post their shit on here, but there is definitely all the time activity.

There are good things coming for the Book Tower. Some situations seem to be rectified, and there will be progress methinks soon.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    "Excellent! Mommy and Daddy let you borrow the car for the drive in from Northville again! Now you can videotape yourself busting up another building. I love people that are responsible for property damage and think its no big deal, yet fail to realize it’s morons like you that force the city into tearing down these buildings before they can be refurbed because no one wants to clean up after you tools."

I wish those were my words. I made a less slamming comment on a video of theirs on YouTube where they're laying waste to the Wurlitzer Building and he threatened to "kick my ass." Ha. Right. I'd love to tie 'em up in a building they've destroyed when it has to be demolished cuz of schittheads like them.
    Yeah...those were my words...if he wants to kick my ass...I'll meet up with him, with my camera, as I trespass his property

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    There are good things coming for the Book Tower. Some situations seem to be rectified, and there will be progress methinks soon.
    To be fair, we've all heard that before, too, of many buildings. Without revealing your source for this, you're in the same boat on this forum as the rest of the people that have responded with their own observations.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-01-09 at 01:35 AM.

DetroitDad Guest

I can back DV up that something good is comming. Just sit tight.

MIRepublic Guest

If this is something real, do you know if the new owners will use the J.C. Beal redevelopment plan that firm drew up a few years back, or is this a totally new plan?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I can back DV up that something good is comming. Just sit tight.
    And what is your credibility? Anyone can say "trust me something is happening". Until something is announced your just blowing smoke up our asses.

DetroitDad Guest

Yes, smoke blowing is the only reason people won't tell you every detail and source.

Ignore any possibility of inside information for a second. I'm guessing you haven't walked by the building at all the past couple weeks? Every single day there were several construction vehicles parked in the alley or on Grand River, with workers going in and out of the building.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-01-09 at 09:45 PM.

No I have not walked by it [[I live in Flint) but if that's your inside source I question your validity.

You don't have to give up a source to tell us what is going on. I think many of us remember many people posting "inside information" and turning out to be full of crap. The Aram and the Mercury Bar comes to mind as well as many others. Just let us know what this something good is, I don't care who you got your information from.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    No I have not walked by it [[I live in Flint) but if that's your inside source I question your validity.

You don't have to give up a source to tell us what is going on. I think many of us remember many people posting "inside information" and turning out to be full of crap. The Aram and the Mercury Bar comes to mind as well as many others. Just let us know what this something good is, I don't care who you got your information from.
    Why would anyone have to elaborate more? I'd rather hear that at least something is planned than nothing. You don't have to be rude about it. People may know the "whats" or "who's" of the situation but not when or how.

I have noticed work myself, btw as well as lights on in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I have noticed work myself, btw as well as lights on in the building.
    In the Book Building or in the Book Tower? Cuz the tower has been as dark as night for weeks and weeks. I've never seen a light on it, unless the lights were on the ground floor.
    I know they were supposed to be pumping out the basement [[or sub-basement) in the tower. Maybe that's the work that is being referred to?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast