Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Parking lot next to Roosevelt hotel

Does any have information about the parking lot being constructed next to the Roosevelt Hotel? Is the Hotel going to be renovated next or is the parking lot for Michigan Avenue businesses.

Pretty sure it is for slow's bbq. Word on the street is they are making it with a semi-permeable surface to help with runoff. Kudos for putting the money in upfront for the long run.

That would make sense, the owner owns the building across the street that used to be the Mercury Coffee bar [[an homage to the "Mercury Bar" inside MCS), so it would make sense he would take up that lot next door, parking for Slows is always a pain in the ass and that would definitely make life easier and make the area nicer than having the remains of whatever hotel or apartment was there prior.

btw anyone know the name of the former building that occupied the site? I've never heard it mentioned before

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Pretty sure it is for slow's bbq. Word on the street is they are making it with a semi-permeable surface to help with runoff. Kudos for putting the money in upfront for the long run.
    Uhh I have to question how putting in a parking lot HELPS run-off, maybe I need to drive by this. Is it crushed stone?

They can use permeable pavers. Such surfaces on lots and streets make storm drains obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    They can use permeable pavers. Such surfaces on lots and streets make storm drains obsolete.
    They use these at Fairlane atop the Dump. Though it is only in select areas. I dunno if it makes them obsolete, particularly in retrofitting or in areas with lots of rain, but it certainly is a step in the right direction.

What is the address for the Roosevelt?

it's on 14th street just off Michigan Ave. empty building to your right if you're heading north into the city...no not the train station, but for patrons of the train station looking for a place to rest their heads....

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    it's on 14th street just off Michigan Ave. empty building to your right if you're heading north into the city...no not the train station, but for patrons of the train station looking for a place to rest their heads....
    Thanks... according to StreetView, there is a sign that *looks* like a for sale sign... I wonder if it's still for sale? Looks to be in pretty good shape. I found a link to a Flickr page with inside pics... not bad, could be renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Uhh I have to question how putting in a parking lot HELPS run-off, maybe I need to drive by this. Is it crushed stone?
    Here is a video that I shot that ought to answer some of your questions about permeable parking lots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=722dlLiGCeE

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Thanks... according to StreetView, there is a sign that *looks* like a for sale sign... I wonder if it's still for sale? Looks to be in pretty good shape. I found a link to a Flickr page with inside pics... not bad, could be renovated.
    There's been talk, of course, the frontage of the building was renovated a few years ago, but nothing became of it

Was it renovated, or was the plywood simply removed?

I seem to remember that the facade was boarded up until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    They use these at Fairlane atop the Dump. Though it is only in select areas. I dunno if it makes them obsolete, particularly in retrofitting or in areas with lots of rain, but it certainly is a step in the right direction.
    It is also used at Carpenter Lake in Southfield.

The lot is indeed intended to expand parking in the area for Slow's and the events they hold in Roosevelt Park. On the 24th they held the Corktown Music Festival. Slow's is also holding a 5 year anniversary party on Sun. Oct 3rd. So, the parking has become necessary to accommodate the increase in parking traffic.

Also, there are big plans are in the works for the two vacant properties located next to Roosevelt Hotel. A project called the "Imagination Station" is in the works, an information and media center with space for local artists and implementing new projects. There will also be public art displays, and a "monumental kitty sculpture" nearby. The group will demolish the worst off house, and rebuild the other using green methods and community participation.

There was an article about it in last weeks Metrotimes. This will be awsome for Corktown and the people behind it are really excited and dedicated.

The Roosevelt became a flophouse in the early 60's as niceities like having a bathroom in your room became standard; eventually the hotel turned into a homeless shelter for as many as 300 people. The people [[mainly black men) drew the ire of the working class Corktown locals and a plan was hatched to have the place closed down.

Being sensitive to being labeled racists, the Corktowners presented their complaints to city hall that the building was unsafe and was underserving the needs of the homeless residents. At the forefront of the push to close down the hotel was the Murphy family and a firey little redhead named Sheila.

You may know her better by her married name: Cockrel.

I am reluctant to celebrate any sort of parking lot development, seeing as downtown is already a massive patchwork of parking lots. I question Slow's need for additional parking, as business does not appear to suffer in the slightest from the current parking situation. The place is always packed. However, there are rumors of a new restaurant coming soon to the former Mercury Coffee location, so that will likely add to the demand. Lots of people seem to think parking is the solution to successful development, but it's my opinion that Slow's has done fine without extra parking. C'est la vie...

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    I am reluctant to celebrate any sort of parking lot development, seeing as downtown is already a massive patchwork of parking lots. I question Slow's need for additional parking, as business does not appear to suffer in the slightest from the current parking situation. The place is always packed. However, there are rumors of a new restaurant coming soon to the former Mercury Coffee location, so that will likely add to the demand. Lots of people seem to think parking is the solution to successful development, but it's my opinion that Slow's has done fine without extra parking. C'est la vie...
    Ummmm.... I don't seem to understand your reluctance.... since this parking lot would be at least 2 miles west of downtown... and therefore have zilch effect on downtown...

Exactly, this lot has been empty for the last several years, if not longer, so there has been debris and litter sitting untouched why not pave it over and allow for some legit parking? Then when the project on the other side of the Roosevelt takes off, maybe some store front will open up in the former hotel, big things can happen, be optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummmm.... I don't seem to understand your reluctance.... since this parking lot would be at least 2 miles west of downtown... and therefore have zilch effect on downtown...
    Sure Corktown is not a part of the Central Business District, but I still consider it a part of the downtown region. Things that happen outside of the mote of freeways encircling the CBD still can have an effect on the CBD. But that's not my point...

Corktown is full of leftover parking lots from the days of Tiger Stadium, as well as acres of nearly derelict lots in the union district around Porter Street, which are leftovers from when the unions had greater memberships. I guess my real gripe is with the idea that parking is essential in order for a business to be successful. When businesses leave, the parking lots remain for a long time... I guess I'm just anti-parking lot and anti-car oriented development. I understand and respect businesses needs to provide easy access to their public, but it still bothers me to see urban prairies turned into parking deserts.

Thing is, this particular lot is a dump, there's nothing growing, there's just dirt and debris, or at least that was the case when I last saw it in April..
    someone google map the lot for mr. boogie [[I would but my internet in Europe is shit).

I would rather have an organized looking parking lot that was maintained than a random plot of dirt and leftover building pieces and trash...I have full confidence that Mr. Cooley will take good care of this lot as he has with the rest of his properties

the most popular of permeable concrete pavers look like interlocking egg crates where you fill in the voids with dirt and grass seed.

When the grass or ground cover fills in, it is difficult to see where the parking lot or driveway is.

the benefit of these systems is that the rain filters down through the soil instead of running off into the storm sewer. also, when there are no cars parked there, the parking lot almost disappears.

Now I have no inside info on which system will be used, but I think it is pretty interesting to think folks are putting their money where their mouths are.

Agreed. And for the folks who don't like the natural grass look, there's pavers available that look just like a conventional brick street. We had a sales rep come into our office marketing the stuff. There's a city somewhere that did a ton of residential streets with these.

Default Parking Lot Next To Roosevelt Hotel

I heard it was also for the new resturant opening up on the corner. The "Mercury Gourmet Burger Bar". Sound yummy.

heard it was also for the new resturant opening up on the corner. The "Mercury Gourmet Burger Bar". Sound yummy.

Debbiedo, welcome to the forum. Where did you hear about the Mercury Bar? Is this info true? If so, that's great!

Stromberg2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast