Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default where is the best shopping in metro detroit?

my girlfriend and i are headed state side tomorrow during the canadian civic holiday.

we figured it would be the perfect time to do some shopping... we aren't big fans of malls... we are looking for some nice urban centers with little shops to wander.. any suggestions besides ann arbor?

thanks guys and gals

Downtown Royal Oak, Birmingham, Rochester, and Romeo come to mind

Downtown Plymouth and northville are also very nice

I would hit up the Woodward corridor just north of the city. Start in Ferndale around 9 mile and Woodward, move up to Royal Oak around 11 Mile and Main [[just one mile east of Woodward) and then end in downtown Birmingham at Maple [[15 mile) and Woodward. Also downtown Berkey at 12 Mile between Coolidge and Greenfield [[one mile W of Woodward) is a little more laidback but has some nice independent stores too.