Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" - in the City of Detroit

Inspired by the Food Network Series, with the same name as the above mentioned thread. Got me thinking and hungry for some of the great food items in Detroit city limits. You get these cravings even more, once you move out of state and plan your trips home around restaurants/meals. I have seen some food threads on here and everyone seems to have their own favorites, so let's see what you have to say about some of their [[Food Network) categories and some that I have added.

Hidden Treasure: The Dish - New Orleans Pasta w/Chicken
    Classics: Lafayette Coney Island - 2 on 1 with everything.
    Guilty Pleasures: 24 Grille - Kobe Sliders
    Cheesey: Detroiter Bar - Grilled Cheese w/Bacon on Rye.
    BBQ: Slows - The Reason or Milt's Gourmet BBQ - Half Chicken/Half Ribs
    Hamburger: Casey's - Medium Rare with Swiss Cheese and Bacon.
    Deli Sandwich: Mudgie's Corned Beef or Russel Street Deli - BLT
    Breakfast: Louie's Ham and Corned Beef - The Mistake Omelette.
    Mexican: LaGloria Bakery - Tamale's
    Wild Cards: Sala Thai, Buddy's Pizza and Roma's.

Where is the Dish at? I'll throw one in, Best Fries....Honest Johns...really.

Stromberg2

For Mexican, I would go with tacos al pastor at Taqueria Lupitas.

Default Best Thing I Ever Ate In Detroit

Recently had a 7 Up cake from Rhems Bakery on GrandRiver, it was to die for!

At Mudgies - in the fall - the fudgie mudgie made on an apple/
    cinnamon waffle with pumpkin ice cream and carmel sauce and walnuts.

Catfish sandwich in the Soulfood restaurant across from where Olympia was. They put the fish on a bun with the bones, put hot sauce and tartar sauce on it, and the fish is so fresh and delectable that you inhale it with your breath.

Bread pudding at Eph's when it was downtown. One of the top five best things I've ever eaten.

Triple Threat Pork Sandwich at Slows is quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever had.

Classics: Fish & Chips, Scotty Simpson's of course
    Mexican: Tamales at Evie's, and they give you a cookie for dessert, too.

Best Firebreather - I nominate the Dragon Eggs at Union Street.

http://detroit.metromix.com/restaura.../photo/1706365

I second that! Yum!

And I thought of another one.

Hidden Treasure: Birthday cake, Knudsen's Bakery. You can just walk in and get one. They will add the writing for you on the spot.

a couple from me...

The Deli [[Middlebelt Rd. between 7 and 8 Mile Rd. Livonia) This sandwich shop is hidden in a little strip mall next to Claranceville High School. Great deli sandwiches at a great price. All sandwiches are named after streets [[i.e. The Middlebelt, The 9 Mile, etc.)

Bangkok 99 [[Telegraph @ MI Ave.) Although I think their prices are a little steep the THAI PED is awesome if you like eggplant. Also love Bangkok Express in Ferndale which most entries are $6.00

Wings Garden [[Nine Mile, Oak Park) For me this is the only place to go for Chicken Chop Suey, nice and garlicky served w/ rolls. yummm.

Agree with the Bread Pudding from Ephs. Anyone have the recipe? Miss it.

I think one of the secrets of the Bread Pudding at Eph's was the bread. I believe it was day old deli rye bread. I've made bread pudding with that and it is awesome. They used to sell the day old bread 2 for a dollar when they were over on Porter. I'll post my recipe over on the Food thread in Connections.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Where is the Dish at? I'll throw one in, Best Fries....Honest Johns...really.

Stromberg2
    It's on the eastside, carryout only. It's on Mack Avenue, south of Moross and South of where Warren Ave meets Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Best Firebreather - I nominate the Dragon Eggs at Union Street.

http://detroit.metromix.com/restaura.../photo/1706365
    Have always wanted to try these....how hot are they?

The best perch I've ever had is at the P Y C [[Ivanhoe Cafe). The perch is pan fried and so are the french fries. If you haven't been there you've got to try it. They are only open during lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Inspired by the Food Network Series, with the same name as the above mentioned thread. Got me thinking and hungry for some of the great food items in Detroit city limits. You get these cravings even more, once you move out of state and plan your trips home around restaurants/meals. I have seen some food threads on here and everyone seems to have their own favorites, so let's see what you have to say about some of their [[Food Network) categories and some that I have added.

Hidden Treasure: The Dish - New Orleans Pasta w/Chicken
    Classics: Lafayette Coney Island - 2 on 1 with everything.
    Guilty Pleasures: 24 Grille - Kobe Sliders
    Cheesey: Detroiter Bar - Grilled Cheese w/Bacon on Rye.
    BBQ: Slows - The Reason or Milt's Gourmet BBQ - Half Chicken/Half Ribs
    Hamburger: Casey's - Medium Rare with Swiss Cheese and Bacon.
    Deli Sandwich: Mudgie's Corned Beef or Russel Street Deli - BLT
    Breakfast: Louie's Ham and Corned Beef - The Mistake Omelette.
    Mexican: LaGloria Bakery - Tamale's
    Wild Cards: Sala Thai, Buddy's Pizza and Roma's.
    Ahh Caseys burgers true they are tasty.

The large end ribs at Sanders on Greenfield. Smothered in Sauce. Best racks of ribs I have devoured. Too bad the place is closed.I dont know I guess the Cajun turkey drums at Trukey grill for flavor....

Does anyplace in the city make a grilled meatloaf and cheese on rye sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Have always wanted to try these....how hot are they?
    Too hot for Mrs. Lodge, but just right for me. If you like hot stuff, you'll be fine, though. They aren't over the top.

ONE favorite? In Detroit?? That's difficult because I personally have had many many great feeds in the city.

Hm, maybe I would go with Pastistsio at Cyprus Taverna.

[[also love Polish combo at Polish Village, anything in Mexican Town, mussels at Cadieux Cafe, rouladen at Jacoby's. See, it's hard to narrow it down to one)

I second the Dragon Eggs at Union Street.

Chicken Wings-Sweetwater Tavern

Just about anything I ever ate at Joey's Stables - prime rib, steaks, burgers, scallops, perch or any fish and seafood, baked, broiled, poached, fried or sauteed - liver, frog legs, baked potatoes, chicken a-la-king, soups, etc, etc, etc. Plain, simple, straight-up road-house fare. Fresh and well prepared. Great lunch menu that changed daily.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast