Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's going on@Beaubien and East Grand Blvd?

Anyone know what's going on at the old BP gas station at Beaubien and East Grand Blvd?
    A couple weeks ago I noticed they were painting over there. I assumed a new gas station was opening up. The last couple nights I noticed a car parked there[[security?).
    This evening I noticed Budget rental truck,black drapes up to the windows of the station,and a table set up in the parking lot with an umbrella. Seems like a lot of commotion for a neighborhood gas station.
    Is there a movie or television show being filmed?
    I don't want to intrude but the suspense is driving me batty.

filming. Too bad, I was hopping an actual redevelopment was happening.

I'm with you. I was hoping a new buisness was opening but filming is good too.
    I'd love to know what's being filmed. Maybe I'll stop and ask next time I pass.
    Thanks a lot.

I couldn't resist posting on this one... I am the production manager on the feature film that is shooting at the gas station at Beaubien & E. Grand. It is called Detroit Unleaded and we are a fully-local production. This film is based on a Sundance award-winning short film of the same name by Detroit-based filmmaker Rola Nashef, a comedy-drama about an Arab-American kid who works at a Detroit gas station.

Out of our salaried cast and crew of 186 people, 184 are from Detroit or Michigan.

Out of a core crew of approximately 36, over a dozen live in the city limits.

We have one of the most diverse cast and crews ever on a locally-produced movie, with over 60% of our key crew and cast being African-, Asian-, or Arab-American, including the director, producer, 1st AD, production coordinator, 2nd AD, and more.

We are also part of a kind of neighborhood improvement project. The property at E. Grand and Beaubien, a formerly abandoned and dilapidated gas station, has been totally gutted and rehabbed and will receive more exterior improvements before the end of production, including graffiti removal and landscaping, hopefully making it more attractive for a future buyer or developer. The buildings immediately surrounding the property will also be 'cleaned up' [[graffiti removal and landscaping) by September. We are working with area business owners for our base camps, catering, electrical work, construction, and automobile repairs.

We are working with local schools in the North End neighborhood, including Youthville, to bring students to set to educate them about film production opportunities.

We ask that those in the city and neighborhood are courteous with our production and do not disturb our filming or operations on E Grand.

This is a truly 'local' production and you will not find a more Detroit-based crew on any of the major films shooting in Detroit than here on Detroit Unleaded.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-02-10 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I couldn't resist posting on this one... I am the production manager on the feature film that is shooting at the gas station at Beaubien & E. Grand. It is called Detroit Unleaded and we are a fully-local production. This film is based on a Sundance award-winning short film of the same name by Detroit-based filmmaker Rola Nashef, a comedy-drama about an Arab-American kid who works at a Detroit gas station.

Out of our salaried cast and crew of 186 people, 184 are from Detroit or Michigan.

Out of a core crew of approximately 36, over a dozen live in the city limits.
    Gsgeorge,

I would like to buy you a beer.

I have been freelance and staff in the video production world for five years and have been looking for work in film, without luck.

Let me know if you ever have time, I'd like to pick your brain.

Detroit Unleaded

I liked the bunk bed scene.

DetroitUnleaded.com

Hmmmmm interesting. Is there anyone here who knows anything about the ost production aspect of film? I would like to get my foot in the door for that since Hollywood set up shop here. Talking to alot of the crews from the films sets over the last year or so I have heard the same thing: they send all of their post prod work back to Cali simply cause there are not a whole lot of facilites here to handle their needs or that they arent large enough...

Detroit Stylin, the post-prod is staying fully here in Detroit. Our editor is a Dearbornite and our 2K transfer is going through a local post-production house.

PCM, send me a private message.

Gsgeorge thanks for posting.
    I was on the verge of bursting a vein trying to figure what you all were doing in there. I finally figured last night[[thanks to the zoom on my camcorder) it must be some sort of movie or television program being filmed. I can also tell you it's taken every bit of restraint I have inside me not to come over and ask some questions,and beg a peek underneath those black drapes lol.
    Best of luck with the film and thanks for bringing some much needed life to that corner.
    By the way I love the yellow and green. It's very cheerful.
    Thanks for doing this!