Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City Council and control of the schools

So the City Council votes that Detroiters should not be allowed to vote on Mayoral control of schools. I'm amazed there's not already a thread here about this, or is there one and I've just missed it?

Nolan Finley had a bit to say about this turn of events in today's News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...e-best-for-DPS

Personally, I feel that mayoral oversight would be better for DPS, however this vote was whether or not the question should have been on the ballot !

The embarassing part of this is that opponents of the issue felt the need to compare this to slavery or some other type of civil rights issue when they're the ones who are working to deny others the right to vote !

I acutally read Nolan Finley's article, and the sad part is that even if I wanted to argue with it, I couldn't !

Quote Originally Posted by showstoppa View Post
    Personally, I feel that mayoral oversight would be better for DPS, however this vote was whether or not the question should have been on the ballot !

The embarassing part of this is that opponents of the issue felt the need to compare this to slavery or some other type of civil rights issue when they're the ones who are working to deny others the right to vote !

I acutally read Nolan Finley's article, and the sad part is that even if I wanted to argue with it, I couldn't !
    Ha ! I read it too, and as much as I disagree with Finley I really couldn't dispute his position.