Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Can you park at the Michigan Theater parking?

Does anyone know if the Michigan Theatre Parking deck in the old theatre is open to the public, or only to like monthly parking pass holders, etc?

You can park there for events. I'm not sure about the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    You can park there for events. I'm not sure about the rest of the time.
    Go into the lobby, or better yet, the Bagley Cafe at 210, and ask Matt or Virginia. They know the scoop, they run it.

I parked there recently when I took my Mom to a Tiger game on a Sunday afternoon. For the most part I would say it's against my religion to pay for parking. I'd walk a mile before I'd pay some surface lot vendor $10 to $20 and up for the privilege of leaving my car for a few hours. I made an exception for this parking venue for the sole reason that it is so exceptional. It was priced at $5 which I consider reasonable and the view on the 3rd level is unmatched. Just remember to honk your horn on the ramps going up and down because it's one-way. This place is one of many places [[but a noteworthy one) where you can state with complete sincerity the phrase "only in Detroit". I believe for Lion's games the price for the tailgaters goes up to $10. Now for business hours during the week you could always ask the security guard in the lobby. I can't imagine they fill the place up with business folk but I can't say for sure. Remember to bring your camera !

The Michigan Building has one of the highest occupancy rates in downtown. The building owner has mentioned on this forum that he has only 1 tenant that has a long term lease. All other tenants have no such restrictions, which makes it desireable for office space.

This makes non-tenant parking in the former Michigan Theatre parking area difficult during normal business hours. One cannot park in the garage area unless 1) you work for a tenant in the building and have a parking pass that opens the gates, or 2) you have permission to park there from the building owner, secretary, or building supervisor.

The Bagley Grille is a relatively new eatery in the Michigan Building. The space was formerly the Cracker Barrel, a very cluttered bar/restaurant. The former restauranteur retired, and the building owners son and daughter-in-law Matt and Virginia run the greatly refurbished restaurant under its 1940s name "Bagley Grille".

Matt is also the building super, and handles day to day issues. During the lunch hour, he helps his wife Virginia run the restaurant.

During non-business hours the former theatre parking area is used for sporting events, mainly football and baseball. Matt runs the parking during the off hours, and they have a loyal clientele who often park there during game days. This is especially true during football games when tailgating is done without the worry of inclement weather disturbing the festivities.

Ironically, I was going to go down there this week and take photos to post one of Detroit's little dining gems downtown. I still plan on doing that....

Quote Originally Posted by miketoronto1 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Michigan Theatre Parking deck in the old theatre is open to the public, or only to like monthly parking pass holders, etc?
    Open to the public during the PW theater tour:

http://www.preservationwayne.org/tours_theater.php

i was lucky enough to meet someone who gave me the number of the building owner, who so graciously allowed me 5 minutes to take photos. i spent most of the time just staring around--it's amazing and tragic

We just asked the security guard in the lobby and we were allowed 5 minutes in the parking area. I was in there before for the theatre tour. But I wanted my planning friends to see it.

Is the Michigan Building doing o.k.? It seems run down on the inside.

From what I understand, it's fully occupied.

Stromberg2

The Michigan Building is not run down on the inside... it's that the hallways of some of the floors still contain their original [[and well maintained) 1926 marble walls and "Dick Tracy" style doors with non-see-thru glass and stenciled business names on the doors. The public restrooms on those floors also still have [[in many instances) their original [[well maintained) fixtures.

The elevators are also well maintained. You won't hear any elevator horror stories from any of the tenants.

That is a fascinating building. I used to work across the street in the early 90s. I would pick up lunch at Dick's Deli sometimes and once in a while hang out at Skipper's for a few after work. I am surprised to hear the building is highly occupied, etc. Good for them, I thought that part of Downtown was fairly deserted these days.

The exterior of the building would have had a nicer look to it had the city not played politics with the 2005 SuperBowl Facade Improvement Fund.

The buildings secretary gave me an earful one time... about how she filled out a mountain of paperwork to apply for some of those facade improvement funds... only to be told that they were incorrectly filled out and had to be done all over again. [[They gave up.)

Funny thing is that she's been the building secretary for something like 20 years, and you'd think she knew how to fill out city red tape paperwork. Some building owners, such as the still empty National Theatre... seemed to have breezed thru their paperwork with ease and gotten their funding... but not the Michigan. I guess having a lawsuit against the Statler demo contractor didn't help their cause with the city. But it seems rather petty when millions in facade improvement funds were left over from the SuperBowl cleanup.

But I guess things like that happened if you weren't part of the "Kilpatrick Friends & Family Plan".

It's good to hear that the MI Theater office building is doing well. I would imagine between that and whatever is going on at the United Artists Bldg that before terribly long that stretch of Bagley could be a good deal more lively.

Grand Circus Park looks pretty good these days, places like the Town Pump, Centaur and Cliff Bells are popular, so there is hope west of Grand Circus maybe??

Now, if only someone with $$$ would rescue the incredible Whitney Bldg.