Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Barbers & Beer

Default Barbers & Beer

If anyone could help jog some memories that are too far gone for me, Id appreciate it.

There was a barber shop on W. Forest just off the John Lodge freeway....small storefront, n. side of street if memory serves. My dad got his haircut there for 25-30 yrs., and would drag me along as a kid if he went on Saturdays.
    Think the old guy that bought out the first old guy closed it up by 1965 or so. Anyone could toss a name at me....Id probably remember if I heard it. Well....I hope I would remember.
    Dad always would point out, "Thats the house Lindbergh was born in" which was just a block or less away I think. It didn't matter he told me 20 times, he would tell me again anyhow.

Down around where the pits used to be for the Gold Cup races in the early to mid 1950's. Large two story white wooden building right on the river, that my Belgian uncles hung out in during the races every year. They all called it the beer garden, I cannot remember a name to save my life.

I would guess this place was probably down by 1960 or shortly thereafter. And if someone not only pulled a name but a picture out of their magic hat, I will send you a Xmas card every year until I die.

Going once.......