Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Myserious Building on Dequindre

Hi all,

I was on Dequindre south of McNichols, back tracking to Hamtramck due to ramp closures on I-75 N [[unposted, I might add), when I passed a mysterious looking building that I'd never seen before. Its surrounded by a big wall all around. Here is a link. What do you suppose this building is?

Thanks,

P.S. I see the typo, but can't find a way to edit the thread title!

As the link won't work, here it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.013733&z=17

Ebeneezer Baptist Church?

It looks like some kind of water retention basin.

I'm guessing you mean that big rectangular dark area on Google Earth? That's the Highland Park Water Reservoir.

They look like big open water tanks:

http://tinyurl.com/2e9jzmm

Interesting gates in the fence. Anything going through the gate would have to be lifted six feet off the ground first.

Oh, the water retention ponds! Thanks so much. I didn't know that's where they were and it looked like a roofed building from the satellite image. The bird's eye view makes it crystal clear, though. Thanks. So are those technically in Detroit?

I was born and raised in that area. It is the Highland Park Water reservoir. I am 56 years old. It has been there all of my life. When I was younger the fences were not always there. Even though it is high, there were a few children that mange to get up there, fell in and drown. then the fences were installed.

You must not be familiar with the area. What part of town are you from?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    So are those technically in Detroit?
    Yes.character requirements are for girlymen

My memory is working overtime.

I've seen that basin in another thread about depression colonies. There was a temporary housing project just north of that basin where that church is now build. I think that thread is somewhere hovering in the old forum.

Edit:

Found it.
    [[And I wasn't even a member of this forum yet!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    P.S. I see the typo, but can't find a way to edit the thread title!
    Off-topic, but there is a way. You can't edit the title in a quick edit. You can however edit in advanced mode. [[But only for a limited time.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-01-10 at 12:42 PM.

Henry Ford had Highland Park on its very own water system.

According to the Detroit Public tv documentary, only three people currently work at that site.

Somebody had a map on the old forum that showed the intake pipe,[[I think it was in Grosse Pointe, around Moross) and the path it took from the lake all the way to the basin. It kind of cool, you might want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Somebody had a map on the old forum that showed the intake pipe,[[I think it was in Grosse Pointe, around Moross) and the path it took from the lake all the way to the basin. It kind of cool, you might want to check it out.
    It's in the thread that Whitehouse linked to above.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It's in the thread that Whitehouse linked to above.
    That's it, great job once again, MikeM!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    That's it, great job once again, MikeM!

Erm... yeah... don't mention it.