Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Widening of Woodward.

I know there have been numerous threads about buildings being defaced of simply torn down all in favour of the automobile. You can look them up yourself. But being a little quircky in this gathering of Detroitants [[being Dutch and living in the Netherlands) I'd like to post the Amsterdam equivalent of that widening of Woodward.

Or perhaps the Woodward widening is a copy of the Amsterdam widening since this happened already in 1895. So even before the autobile was established the city of Amsterdam embarked on that rigorous measure.

This map is the proposal for the route. If you've ever been in Amsterdam you'd recorgnize the Amsterdam Royal palace on the right and the Westerkerk on the left, which is a mere 150 meters from the Achterhuis, the hidingplace of Anne Frank.

The aereal view of the present day Raadhuisstraat, which translates as City Hall [[or Town Hall) street. The Royal Palace was build as City Hall in 1655 before it was converted to a Royal Palace in 1806.

Houses that were lost during the break through.

Same location, present day. The red brick building was build as the main post office. Peeping though at the end is the Royal Palace. That ghalstly building on the right is a Telecom center build in 1981.

They did rebuild some parts in style. This is a picture just after the break through. The Westerkerk in the background.

Same location, present day. On the left a new shopping gallery as build. Really nice details.

I hope you appreciated this. Now where are your never seen pictures of the Woodward widening?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-30-10 at 06:44 PM.

Stosh Guest

You may wish to go here for some good views of the widening project.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...view=thumbnail