Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Does anyone notice when you try to keep up your neighborhood in Poletown?

Again, I read another article about how horrible my neighborhood around I-94 and Mt Elliot is, and how horrible it is that the president has to go down Mt Elliot to the Poletown Plant [[Detroit News today.)

Does anybody care how my brother fights to keep his block nice around his buisiness-Bargain Dollar Resale-or, that he's had a resale shop on Holborn since 1983?

Does anyone notice the Yes Farm, and the arts colony on Farnsworth?

Or, am I fooling myself and living cheap in the ninth circle of hell? [[While I'm looking at my heirloom tomatoes? )

Quote Originally Posted by malmarson View Post
    Again, I read another article about how horrible my neighborhood around I-94 and Mt Elliot is, and how horrible it is that the president has to go down Mt Elliot to the Poletown Plant [[Detroit News today.)

Does anybody care how my brother fights to keep his block nice around his buisiness-Bargain Dollar Resale-or, that he's had a resale shop on Holborn since 1983?

Or, am I fooling myself and living cheap in the ninth circle of hell? [[While I'm looking at my heirloom tomatoes? )
    Did he take the Jefferson to Mt. Elliot route [[from Jefferson North)?

Maybe the president CHOSE to go that particular route, just to get his own fisrt hand visual of how Detroit really is.

After all, I personally think a Conner to I-94 ride would have been light years quicker, but of course you can't see much on the freeway.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Did he take the Jefferson to Mt. Elliot route [[from Jefferson North)?

Maybe the president CHOSE to go that particular route, just to get his own fisrt hand visual of how Detroit really is.

After all, I personally think a Conner to I-94 ride would have been light years quicker, but of course you can't see much on the freeway.
    I'll bet that is quite the eye opening ride, for someone that has never done it.

And malmarson, I can't really say whether or not anyone really appreciates the work that is done by some down there, but I know that I do. Someone's got to give a shit. Too many people are more than happy to have the world go completely to shit.

malmarson, is Berman's For Obama, Detroit's despair hard to miss article to which you refer?

It would be nice to learn of his actual route [[now that the security risk of releasing the information is moot).
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-30-10 at 08:11 PM.

Yeah, that's the article. Look, I know I'm not living in heaven. I can tell you stories...heck, the one when someone took a large back-hoe to Chene Trombley Market to break in at 3:00 in the morning about three years ago takes the cake.

But, I live in a hundred year old brick home that's paid for--and I have gardens. My commute to work is about 5 minutes on the freeway, to downtown. This crazy eastern european lady has always listened to stay in the crazy city she loves--big old warts and all. And yes, I could move out if I wanted to.

But then, I'd be a long way away from the abandoned cherry tree orchard I forage on every year....

It's just that every article, Time to the News, looks at, say, the Packard Plant ruins, but ignores such things as the recent building of, say, the Royal Restarant in Mt Elliot.

How about cheering about the good, such, say, as Cub's Georgia Street Gardens?

Yeah, that's the article. Look, I know I'm not living in heaven. I can tell you stories...heck, the one when someone took a large back-hoe to Chene Trombley Market to break in at 3:00 in the morning about three years ago takes the cake.

But, I live in a hundred year old brick home that's paid for--and I have gardens. My commute to work is about 5 minutes on the freeway, to downtown. This crazy eastern european lady has always listened to stay in the crazy city she loves--big old warts and all. And yes, I could move out if I wanted to.

But then, I'd be a long way away from the abandoned cherry tree orchard I forage on every year....

It's just that every article, Time to the News, looks at, say, the Packard Plant ruins, but ignores such things as the recent building of, say, the Royal Restarant in Mt Elliot.

I'll say a cheer for you! Thanks for staying. We need more people like you in this city!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    I'll say a cheer for you! Thanks for staying. We need more people like you in this city!!!
    Seriously....if we could just find another 3-400,000.

I'm thinking of moving back home, and I damn well want to stay in Detroit this time. No kids, no wife, just me to worry about.

Malmarson - is your abandoned cherry orchard at Kirby and Moran? My grandmother lived there and had three cherry trees and one peach tree in her yard as well as rhubarb and wild strawberries. The house was torn down about a year ago but I've often wondered about the cherry trees. They were spectacular to see when they were in full bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Malmarson - is your abandoned cherry orchard at Kirby and Moran? My grandmother lived there and had three cherry trees and one peach tree in her yard as well as rhubarb and wild strawberries. The house was torn down about a year ago but I've often wondered about the cherry trees. They were spectacular to see when they were in full bloom.
    Nope-the orchard I'm talking about is about a mile northwest from there. When were you there last? The city's been having the abandoned house's fields leveled the last three years, which destroys any gardens left.

What corner was that on? I'd love to tell the YES farm about a new forage area, since they're only two blocks away from there.

Does anyone notice when you try to keep up your neighborhood in Poletown?

Yes they do! Kudos to you and others like you who not only value your city, but enjoy beauty in trees and gardens. I hope Detroit will implement a garden city concept which will attract worldwide attention. The turnaround will be quite something. I know it is a big piece to chew but if a turnaround does slowly come about, the buzz around it will surely accelerate redevelopment. In the meantime, I appreciate that you value your community.

So very true Malmarson, many of us often overlook the bright spots...Ill have to check out Royal Restaurant on Mt. Elliot....Ive had some really nice times and experiences at the blues club over on Chene...took lots of pics along the street...

Malmarson, my grandmothers house was east of Moran on the north side of Kirby. It was the second house east of the Moran alley. According to google earth the house is gone but it looks like the trees are still there.
    Last edited by Kirby; August-07-10 at 06:50 PM. Reason: error

I, for one, notice and applaud anyone efforts to clean up their slice of this wonderfull city. I like what the YES farm is doing on Farnsworth, but it galls me a little to read the atricles on the NY TImes and other places who rarely if ever give credit to the Weertz family, especially Paul Weertz who has kept the houses on that block occupied and maintained for the last 25 years before the YEs farm arrived on the scene. He bought and re-roofed the building that now houses the Yes farm despite it being a financial no-win, the keep his block nice and intact while the surrounding neighborhood crumbled. Just want to give credit to one of the original Detroit farmers planting and harvesting detroit lots for the last 20 years. It was his work which allowed the Yes farm to find a home on a block in East Detroit.

I appreciate the work that everyone does to improve their communtiy. We can only hope this type of energy is contagious and will spread.